TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

cheap carpet ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap carpet ideas?
    Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 4:21am
hey guys, got my project javelin that i'm going to go crazy on and finally get it running. it's not going to be pretty. and it's not going to run great. but it won't be sitting still rusting away waiting for me to have it all to make it all perfect. have pretty much everything i need for a decent looking interior.( i apologize in advance it will have to have another brands seats till i can afford new covers for mine) but i don't have any carpet. mine were all bad floor cars so the carpets were in awful shape. what is the cheapest sound deadening/carpet idea you have? i have black interior pieces. so i would need black carpets.

one thought i had was go to a junkyard and find a crown vicky/caprice sized car with black or really dark carpets. pull the carpets and the stock sound deadening. put them in the javelin and trim them down where necessary. and cut holes where needed as well.

my brother recommended just generic carpet as an idea. and said that you should be able to contour it to fit over the driveshaft hump and floor pans by heating it with a heat gun. any thoughts on how well that will work?? i just thing that the junkyard ones may be off a little but be contoured better to fit the hump and floor pans a little closer.

can't afford the premade kits so any suggestions on something to look decent for now, just so i can drive it. would be awesome. of course the cheaper and better the option the more awesome it is. lol

thanks for any help
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 7:18am
Well, as far as OEM auto carpet, they are molded to the contours.

If you know a wee bit about carpeting, you could cut and piece parts in without problems. You could pick up a used carpet iron and some carpet seam rolls on ebay. Since it is small areas if patching in segments, the job will be easy.

You can probably watch such video on YouTube, before digging further.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 7:41am
I'm not 100% sure on a cheap carpet substitute, but you can find complete molded carpet online for less than $250. That's the the route I'm going with my car. But for a cheap sound deadening alternative, you can go to Lowes and pick up Frost King duct insulation that is self adhesive to the floor boards. It's about $18 for 25 square feet. It's almost the exact same thing as dynamat, but so much cheaper. For 36 square feet of dynamat, it's around $125 and that's the eBay price. You can also add reflectix which is like aluminum foil wrapped bubble wrap for further cheap sound deadening around the transmission tunnel.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 7:49am
It may sound funny, but neoprene mouse pads can work... Though you need to have a computer surplus store to mess around In finding a lot. Maybe ebay has a bulk of used mouse pads. You want is the thick type, not the floppy thin ones. Hold down with tacky stick, or just duct tape them together as a blanket, once the carpet is installed the mouse pads will stay in place.

I searched and found these... silicon is one of the best deadening substrates. The problem is weight. Silicone is a bit denser then neoprene.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-20-x-Silicone-Mouse-Pad-for-Laptop-Computer-Black-Slim-/352031093662?hash=item51f6b0339e:g:YVUAAOSwTM5Y8cBh

Edited by 304-dude - Apr/21/2017 at 8:07am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 12:54pm
A quick search on the internet and several cheap molded carpets are available.

For the price and your circumstances this seems to me to be the best solution. Cutting and forming a carpet to the contours of a car is a little harder and time consuming then it appears. By time you cut multiple relief cuts, use carpet seam tape to re-attach ( that's if every cut is correct) and try heating to form a shape could be more than it's worth. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 1:18pm
I agree Kirby, why do all the extra work to save only a few bucks and have a final product that looks horrible compared to the proper carpet set. Save up a little longer and get the proper carpet kit, the cheaper one listed is only a $150 bucks and will make a big difference in how the final interior looks.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 1:56pm
mostly i was looking cheap because i have little to no funds. but i want to get it slapped together and running so i can enjoy it. the $150 one is not bad. but it would wipe the meager budget i have out pretty good for a beauty thing. when i really need to spend the cash on brakes and tires. that's why i was thinking of getting a $20 carpet out of a big car at the junkyard that had similar dimensions on the floor lay out and trim it down to work for now while i save for beauty stuff later.

if you have ever seen the show roadkill. that's basically how this build up is going to go. quick and really dirty. this car won't see any paint this side of rattle can for the next few years while i save for a proper job. the engine is going to get a minor "freshen up" but not the rebuild it needs to. the trans is coming straight from a junkyard for $100 and going in the car. i will change out the lube. but that's it. cross fingers and hope it works. the roof on the shell that i'm going to build up is swiss cheese i'm going to reskin it with one off of a 71 that i had to chop up. the only system that will be all new is the brakes. and that's because i don't mess around when it comes to safety.

trust me i would love to do it right and pretty. but it's not in the cards. that's why i'm looking for extremely low budget alternatives. will it be right? no. will it look good? i'm hoping for at least highschool first car kind of looks good for right now. then piece by piece repair it right. or pretty it up the right way one piece at a time. i hope this kind of lets you know where i'm coming from. i know alot of people frown on not doing it right the first time. but if i wait around for that i might as well do a time lapse thread on a car rusting away to nothing. so some is better than nothing to me. 

i might see about the heater duct sound insulation and some cheap floor carpet. if i can't find anything cheap enough then i'll just run bare floors for the first while. i just know that it will be a bit loud without carpet at the least.

Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 2:33pm
If you're budget is that lean, F the carpet. It doesn't make is go faster! 

Careful of how many "ideas" you pursue. You'll end up spending more little by little then what a good one would run you. 
Gremmy Power!!!
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 7:25pm
If a $150 will tap your car fund then I recommend just leaving it out and spraying the floor black. If you can get a can of roll on black bedliner cheap maybe go with that just for the durability side. A carpet set from a junkyard out of another car will just look bad. Keep saving a few bucks here and there until you have the money and get the kit.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
raser13 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote raser13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 8:51am
I'm not worried about fast. U was more concerned with noise level. I k ow carpets and sound deadening have their place. But this will also be one of the last things I do before it hits the road. So my budget nay improve by then. I'm just trying to come up with alterative ideas now for just in cases thank you all for the ideas and links. They've given me a lot to go on and think about. Thanks once again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic