TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 66 3-speed Auto Throwdown Cable with Holley 4bbl?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

66 3-speed Auto Throwdown Cable with Holley 4bbl?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 66 3-speed Auto Throwdown Cable with Holley 4bbl?
    Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 9:22pm
Anyone that has gone with a modern day holley, what did you do to make the throwdown cable work with the throttle linkage?

I have mine set up currently to use constant low pressure so it's not slipping unless under heavy throttle.  This can cause for some uncomfortable changes from Park to Reverse and such though, so I haven't been driving it much.

What has everyone done to adapt their modern Holley to the throwdown cable?

66 Rambler Rebel Classic - 327 - 3 speed auto on the floor.
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn Night Edition
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1989 Grand Prix ASC/McLaren
1983 AMC Concord DL
1966 AMC Rambler Rebel Classic
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 11:09pm
...not called a 'throwdown cable'... but I know what you're trying to say.

-Some call it a 'throttle valve cable' using the abbreviation 'tv cable'... which sounds like television to me.

I like 'throttle valve cable'... whatever...

Anyway, what I'd do if I were you is take your old carb and the new one to a welding shop.

(or more than one welding shop, to find the one you feel most comfortable with about doing the job -try, try, try until you 'get lucky' and find the right one (make your own good luck))

Pic tells a thousand words so show 'em the carbs and tell 'em you need the one section cut off the old carb and then have it welded onto the new carb...

The risk is overheating the typical Holley plastic throttle shaft bushing so they need to be carefull to keep that as cool as possible (sheild it with piece of scrap tin, welding cloth, paste -a welding pro will know how to protect the shaft from overheating)

Second choice, IMO, is to simply drill holes in the new carb's throttle lever and bolt on a drilled metal strap (or even a custom drilled and shaped piece of steel) to form an add on lever for the transmission throttle cable clevis.

It needs to locate in the same approximate place as it was on the original carb (measure the distance and duplicate it)
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 9:53am
I'm going to take a crack at this tomorrow morning, I'll let you know how it goes!
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
trewyn15 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trewyn15 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2017 at 11:45pm
took a crack at it tonight :D

Worked well, I don't think it's perfect, I have to shift down to second manually, but the shifts are really good now.
2000 Trans Am WS6
1989 Trans Am GTA
1983 AMC Concord DL
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2017 at 9:07pm
on my 63 classic, with a 65 borg warner auto, i ran an LPG carburetor for 20 years, then briefly a Weber 32/36, then finally a Howell TBI kit. i made the kickdown linkage work for each. 

it's not something i'd mess with. i'd spend the time to get it right. it's there for a reason... it shoudl be simple enough, it's just a shorter stroke pushing the cable end over it's 90 degrees of rotation, you can copy the geometry. i have some pics of what i did somewhere on my worldpowersystems.com website.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic