TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Lil yellow wagon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 9:57am
Well pulling the carb back off again. I can not get this turd holley tunes to this motor.
Real hot rods have 3 pedals
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/22/2018 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by 5spdwagon 5spdwagon wrote:

Well pulling the carb back off again. I can not get this turd holley tunes to this motor.

Never been much of a Holly guy. My 500 edelbrock works great on my 232. Going to use the same on my new 258.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Originally posted by 5spdwagon 5spdwagon wrote:

Never been much of a Holly guy. My 500 edelbrock works great on my 232. Going to use the same on my new 258.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

I think you have more hp than I do so your 500 would work on yours I don’t know if I can tune it back that much.
Do you remember what rods and jets you had in your carb? I am gonna try a 500 and see if I can get it to do any better.
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:16pm
In the Edelbrock book I am 2 stages lean, left bottom quadrant. Believe I use the strongest springs.

Nothing fancy about my 232, think I am bored .030 and using a 256 Isky cam.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 12:21pm
I forget what jets I used in my Carter 500 (I want to say that I whad to go richer then Ollie) but i did end up using the stiffest step up springs. I put the smallest Lunati cam in it (208/213 @ .050), a Clifford DP, Eagle exhaust manifold and a 2.5" exhaust.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 2:18pm
LOL, Ollie's post was a bit funny to me.  My experience with Holly and Autolite carbs has been fairly good in the past.

Now Edelbrock carbs always ran filthy rich for me.

Really nice looking wagon though. Thumbs Up
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 3:24pm
Well mine is dead stock. If I could get the dead spot off idle I would be fine with the holley.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 3:56pm
Man, it's been so long since I've been able to work on classics...  Fun time trying to force all that buried knowledge back to the surface, LOL.

From what I recall, the two common causes there are either the idle screws or the power valve.

Start by trying to back the idle jet screws out 1/4 turn.  If that doesn't work, check the power valve linkage.  It should rest just lightly touching the power valve without pushing it in.  Use a .015 feeler gauge between the valve and the linkage, and it should move the valve without bottoming it out (so to speak).

Hope that helps.  It's going from VERY old memory and more with the autolites that were nearly identical to 2bb Holly carbs.

5spdwagon View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 5spdwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 4:03pm
The power valve is adjusted correctly. The idle screws don’t help the issue.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/23/2018 at 5:12pm
Had to take a break and brainstorm this for a while...  I still pretty much got nothing.

The obvious stuff I'm sure you've checked; fuel pressure and vacuum.  Likewise, it sounds like you know your stuff so I'd say the probability of a small piece of poo in the idle circuit somewhere is unlikely.  About the only other thing I can think of is see if a slightly stronger accelerator pump is available for your carb model.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic