TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1974 Javelin 401 aka: Maxi Blue For Sale... maybe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Javelin 401 aka: Maxi Blue For Sale... maybe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 5:37pm
Actually, I am told it is most likely the "cog" "gear" thing that the chain rides on. Supposedly the later 360s had them made from some other material and they often failed. I haven't seen the inside of that 360 as it was in Todd's blue car for a while.

As for driving it, I don't have the money to insure it or a place to park it anymore.

:-(

MAXI BLUE: 1974 Javelin 401
www.maxiblue.homestead.com
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 6:29pm
Hmmm....

Sell the 401...it wasn't original to that car anyway, you can find another one later....plenty of $$$ to get historic tag insurance from Grundy or Hagerty... and!!!! a new timing chain sprocket.

That'll get you way more bucks than the 360. 

One of us will send you a used cam sprocket....(I know I have a couple in my deep dark scary hoard of AMC stuff, just need to dig it up) Smile

good luck Nell
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 6:40pm
Sell the 401? Geezo, cranks, and engines dont come by as easy as before in the 401 variety. As for orginal, I thought the Javelin is a 401 car. The original engine is gone, but if you get it all done right, who cares. Maybe a casting number difference, but a with AMC engines, there is nothing to ID to what car it came from.

Keep the 401, as you will be happy you did in the long run.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Sell the 401? Geezo, cranks, and engines dont come by as easy as before in the 401 variety. As for orginal, I thought the Javelin is a 401 car. The original engine is gone, but if you get it all done right, who cares. Maybe a casting number difference, but a with AMC engines, there is nothing to ID to what car it came from.

Well, the VIN does tell you what size engine came in the car, in case that matters to you.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Well, the VIN does tell you what size engine came in the car, in case that matters to you.

So you are saying it Is a P code car?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 7:23pm
I'd rather be able to keep the car for sure. I think it is a Z code. I had assumed she was looking for ideas to solve the predicament asking us for input here at the AMC Fortress of Solitude.

Say she got $1000 for the 401, that'd insure the car on an antique tag for years. Then all she has to do is find a place to park it. As a running/tagged car, who is to say she can't park it wherever she wants.
NellsJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 5:39pm
I thought folks here already knew a bit about the car... it is a Z-code JAVELIN, hence the rarity as just over 200 were built that year. The 401 I have is from a 1973 Jeep. The 360 in it now is a 1980s vintage unit with a 1975 (spread bore) carb setup.

I do have a set of used heads for the 401.

NellsJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2017 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by wantajav wantajav wrote:

Say she got $1000 for the 401, that'd insure the car on an antique tag for years. Then all she has to do is find a place to park it. As a running/tagged car, who is to say she can't park it wherever she wants.

When it was on the road, insurance cost me about $700/yr. Rereg = approx. $80+. Rent for a parking space in the Boston area would cost A LOT. I mean 'YUGE. An indoor condo'd parking space in Boston proper can run to approx. $500,000... and we are only 6 miles away.

I used to park it across the street in an old lady's garage, but she passed away. We only have a small 1 car garage. I tried parking it in the back yard, that was a muddy failure. Then I tried to park it at my brother's condo complex, and the manager said no after a year.

Affordable parking in my area is as rare as affordable retail space... or chicken lips, whichever you prefer! ;-)

SO, unless I hit the lottery soon...(fill in the blanks)

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 11:49am
Sorry to hear Nell, maybe bring it to Gettysburg for the AMO Nationals with a big for sale sign? lots of AMC fanatics will be there!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 8:06pm
Nell - we are all cheering you on. 

Best of luck and try to keep the AMC --NellsPrius doesn't have the same ring to it.

---imagine getting a pizza dropped off or an uber ride by a creative lady driving a...AMC! There's $$$ out there somewhere....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic