TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1974 Javelin 401 aka: Maxi Blue For Sale... maybe
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1974 Javelin 401 aka: Maxi Blue For Sale... maybe

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1974 Javelin 401 aka: Maxi Blue For Sale... maybe
    Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 2:16pm
Hi all, long time no type.

Last night I was awake in bed, staring at the ceiling, pondering the inevitable: selling Maxi.

I really, REALLY don't want to. But the way things are going in my life, I don't think it will ever get restored by us.

But here's the catch... I don't want it to go to a hot rodder, or someone who will cut it up. It is one of only 217 factory 401 Javelins made in 1974, and put back to stock, would be a sweet sleeper!

I drove it a lot when I could, but it does need work. The first thing it needs is either timing chain work on the 360 that is currently in it, or a rebuild of my 401 block. Next is rust work. I have some parts that can go with it.

Seeing as I have been away from the AMC crowd a few years, I don't know "which way the wind is blowing" in the hobby. I can't help but think I will never get a buyer willing to save the car.

Thoughts?

(background found HERE ------------>>> www.maxiblue.homestead.com )

MAXI BLUE: 1974 Javelin 401
www.maxiblue.homestead.com
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 2:25pm
Geeze, don't be so hard on the hobby. It is not as bad as you think, and from your posts and pictures, it does not deserve parting out. At least sell it above what one would get for parts, this way it will be a lost investment if the new owner has thoughts of doing so.

A running car with an extra engine is a great deal, since there is no down time between getting the 401 back and running. Looks like you have kept it in nice condition through the years of driving it. So maybe 5AMXs will consider a 6th? Who knows.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
austinsamx74 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote austinsamx74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 3:21pm
Pm sent
Mhershey View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mhershey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 8:57pm
There are, thankfully, many enthusiasts who would love to return something like this beautiful machine back into something that you would be pleased to have contributed to.

About 6 weeks ago I bought a 73 AMX from a young lady under condition that I continue restoration just as her father had started before he passed away. It was supposed to have been her 16th birthday present, she's now completed college, has her own family, and had very mixed feelings about letting it go.
I've wanted one of these for 20 years and am anxious to make mine a good example as I can make it. Already purchased some needed parts from some very helpful and friendly fellow Forum members and will proceed with the resto as time permits.
Mine's a bit of a mess and will take some time, but i have thoroughly enjoyed the work i have done so far, and she has very much enjoyed seeing progress on 'her baby'. That's a nice feeling for me, too, along with making new friends here and in the North Texas AMC club.
Everyone wins.

Someone will want yours to do exactly as you hope with it.
//
NellsJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Geeze, don't be so hard on the hobby. It is not as bad as you think,

Well, I base my fear on the lack of stock vehicles at New England AMC shows. It is rare to see a Javelin/AMX that hasn't been customized or completely altered into something it isn't. Perhaps this isn't the case in other parts of the country?

Also, whenever I mention keeping an antique vehicle stock, I very, VERY rarely get agreement from other car people. Recently someone on an unrelated forum said he has no qualms about taking a rare car and turning it into a hot rod. They argue that it is their car and they can do what they want, which is indeed true. BUT, if you have to customize a rare car to make it what you want... why not just find a different make/model that IS like you want???

BUT, this is going off on a tangent (and soap box).   

As for the car's condition being a factor in the saving of Maxi, I (purposely, so as not to depress myself) don't look at FOR SALE cars much, but the few I have seen recently, seem to be in far worse condition and going for way more than I'd expect.

Which is why I say I am out of the loop, AMC-market-wise.   

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 12:50pm
Collectors, restorers, and just peeps in general who appreciate an all original car will buy from you much easier than with some guy who has put money into bling and gee wiz items.

I too have seen way too many not being restored, and I can be counted as one of them in such a decision. 10 years ago it was common to find cars to mess with and not be concerned about modifications. Now I feel I am part of the wrong band waggon. Because it is too late to go back, I accepted my build to be what it is, and think of it as a living donor. As most all my cars pieces have been sold to others who restored or are keeping their car original.

I rather see a 60% original car modded than to take an 80% car and not try to restore it or replace what has been changed back to original.

I think the term restore is too loose. Even though one may not be restoring, just getting back to the original look and operation really stands out to me. I rarely get impressed by techy or high dollar mod builds. Sure there is a lot of cool things going on, and money laid down. Just some things are too kit like, or not done as professionally as I would expect. I see that more now these days. Electronics guy now, use instructions given in the kits, and don't understand basic laws of Electronic theory. Never have switches operate motors directly. Yet few use relays for motors outside of car manufacturers. I am not billd, but I do know enough to see money is waisted on improper installations.

There was a build on a popular car mag... someone posted it as a link. The car in the article had gone through two big money engine gurus. The first guy never got the engine right with an aftermarket supercharger. Shows how much some guys really know their stuff. The second went and replaced the troubled components with more effective ones. But IMO it was a band aid. The trouble was explained quit well, but nobody picked up on the need for a clutch pulley to allow freewheeling of the supercharger when throttle is released. A simple addition, instead of buying a big dollar kit to address something quite simple. If the supercharger manufacturer don't have a clutch hub drive pulley, then something is wrong with understanding engine belt drive physics.

See whatcha done... you left your soap box out in the open for anyone to use. HA!

So, now you know how I feel about modded cars, if I am interested, it is because I don't see an issue that I don't have to address. If any mods are done, clean, simple, and well done. The bigger the mod, the more critical I am, as details will come to play.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
NellsJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NellsJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2017 at 2:05pm

Of course.... PERIOD CORRECT mods, like Group 19 stuff...........

;-)

Here's a for-instance: a 1930s Ford coupe hot rod with MODERN engine and parts is a turn-off to me. A 1930s Ford coupe hot rodded in the 1950s would be super cool to me.

But, that is just me.

Take my car for instance. The original owner put on the non-functional AMX hood, and the spoiler. They make the car look cool, sure. But it should have a flat steel hood and we think also a white vinyl roof and "Coke stripe". Put back the missing chrome trim, and it looks duller in some ways, snazzier in others. The rumble of the 401 alone would undo all the plain parts.

wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 4:44pm
Well, a timing chain R&R for a AMC 360 news parts from Rock auto will run ya less than $50. Then Maxi's back on the road. Maybe Todd has a timing set he can take off another engine. Or take it from your wounded 401. Then - you can figure out the bigger plan while you drive your AMX.

small steps....don't let the "perfect" become the enemy of the "good enough".

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 4:49pm
Heck I got a good used Timing set from my 71 304, which had only 20K on the rebuild before I disassembled it.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2017 at 4:52pm
And look around this site at the massive talent on display, the car can always be put back to day one condition at some future date. That car is a lot more intact than what half the folks around here have started with.

Main other idea is: DON'T GET DISCOURAGED. If I remember correctly, that car was doomed to be parted out and you& Todd saved it. The weather is getting warmer, maybe time to pop on the new chain and get some miles on that bad boy!

Edited by wantajav - Apr/01/2017 at 5:17pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic