TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > American Motors Corp., its history and more. > The Member Companies and Products of AMC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC Canada?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErnieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AMC Canada?
    Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 6:35pm
My 66 Ambassador 990 convertible is a Canadian production car.
I'm curious about the peculiarities of the Canadian built cars.
I can say that the AM/FM radio is completely different than the US produced models.
I also see a different style of air cleaner.
To me, other than a Canadian production tag, the rest of the car seems identical.
Has anyone had any experience with, or documented the little build differences between the two plants?

Was in dash air conditioning offered on Canadian cars? The Canadian radio won't fit when factory A/C is installed on the car. The radio is a different shape.

These little differences interest me because it';s just... different. I'd like to preserve as much of the Car's cool Canadian differences if possible.

I'd love to hear from y'all on this,

Ernie
WeatherEye View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2017 at 7:10pm
I'm not familiar with 66 US , Canadian differences but with the 63/64 Classic and Ambassadors, there were differences in hubcaps, wheel covers, steering wheel and column colors, horn rings,(
Ambassadors didn't have their crest in the center), small things like that.

Mike
ErnieL View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErnieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 9:42am
Interesting, Mike. Do you know if the factory in dash A/C was offered like I was in the US? I've seen a few Canadian sedans with under dash systems, but never the in dash style.

Somewhere, I have an AMC Canada 1966 brochure, and I don't recall it mentioning A/C, but then again, I'm over 50 so maybe my memory's shot.
WeatherEye View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeatherEye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 12:54pm
Do you mean the vents being in dash? I know the 64's had the controls under dash. 63's had the control next to the parking brake release knob. Both had the vents in the dash, three big round ones facing out above the radio. I have had many 63/64's but none were with AC. Oh yes the radios in these two years were also different between the US and Canadian models. Maybe someone else can chime in with more info on our cars.
ErnieL View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErnieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 1:11pm
All I can speak to is the 66, but yes, in 66, they had A/C vents in the center dash, and the radios were different.

The Canadian radio chassis is 'traditional', being wide, long, and only a few inches tall, whereas the US radio seemed more sqareish in profile and not as deep.

The Canadian radio will definitely NOT clear the factory in dash A/C system in 66.
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/11/2017 at 5:31pm
I have a 63 Ambo, Canada built for export. RHD.

The brakes are different - single circuit.
Dizzie is an Autolite.
Alternator is different.
And the horns.

Beyond that, I don't know.

Could post some random pics.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
2beersmaybe3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2beersmaybe3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2017 at 11:41pm
I'd like to see the differences. For some reason i like seeing the different emblems from other countries. Ive heard the hubcaps were different us, canada, Australia, south america, etc. Didn't think about other stuff like the radios or other stuff. I've seen pictures on the internet that show the Australian 1965 & 1966 Rambler Classic that had what I'd call 1963 & 1964 Rambler Classic dashboards. I'd like to see all the other differences.

I understand that in austalia and maybe other counties that the Rambler name stayed. I'd like to see those Rambler emblems and such. Have seen how the gremlin in Mexico had the hornet front clip instead of like in the US. Also noticed that the VAM vehicles that I see be it a gremlin or hornet, they have the rear pop out windows. No matter what year. Maybe because it's hotter down there. I wonder whay else was different where. I know alot of automotive products drug out certain body styles way longer than it would in the US. It'd be neat to see that somewhere a 1960's model Rebel was still being called the new 1970's model later somewhere else. Or a mid 1980's Gremlin with a Hornet front clip and still being called a Rambler. Id like to have all the different emblems for the cars that I have. I'd like to see pictures too.
1963 Classic 770 Cross Country
1964 Classic 660 4door
1964 Classic 770 2 door sedan
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2019 at 5:32am
1981 and up Eagles for sale in Canada were exempt from needing cat converters. This is due to 1981 and up Eagles being a truck making them exempt from a few things including bumper shocks and 3rd brake lights. But the cat exemption was Canada only. AMC used the same exhaust system but put a delete hollow resonator looking thing in place of the cat at the factory to make the delete easy like a radio delete. USA and Canada federal law required 3rd brake lights on all 1986 passenger cars. Bumper shocks became law in 1974 for passenger cars but not trucks. AMC got a special 1 year exemption on the bumpers for the 1974 Javelin in both countries. Good luck trying to explain the missing cat thing now for a dmv inspection. I suspect that cat converters were put on many Eagles later when the dmv would not budge on the matter during inspection. Doing this would have forever messed up the O2 sensor readings for the computer.

Edited by maximus7001 - Feb/16/2019 at 5:49am
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
jav sst View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jav sst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2019 at 10:04am
New to AMC cars. Where do you find the Canadian production tag? I am in canada but I suspect I have a usa car. I am interested to know more.... 
maximus7001 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maximus7001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2019 at 6:07pm
Javelins for the Canadian market were made in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
1968 Javelin SST

1997 GMC Safari AWD

2001 Daewoo Nubira SX (Winnipeg only model)

1997 Honda Accord EX (Canadian Model)

Winnipeg, home of the Jets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic