TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

196 Flathead Photo Needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 196 Flathead Photo Needed
    Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 6:55pm
I have stirred the parts for 2 different 196 motors and was too stupid to take pictures. Could someone send/post a pic of the top of a flathead that shows which headbolts/studs are long and hold the throttle linkage and the coil mount, etc. I have 3 long studs and a need for 2 bolts. The rest are normal studs with nuts.

I have a plate that holds the carb linkage and a plate that holds the coil, each with 2 holes. Don't know where they go.

It's a 61 going into a 58 and things changed.

Thanks.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:20pm
Google AMC 196 flathead,  and go to images.  There'll be some pictures that may help you.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:41pm
With all due respect, I tried that first. Also nothing in my original shop manual, parts manual or TSB book from 1958.

All I need is a good photo of the top of a flathead.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 10:13pm
I noticed from the pictures I looked at,  there was several different ways the coil, and throttle were secured on the flathead,  it depends on the year evidently.

There is one very good picture of a 61 Flathead on my Google images,  but I noticed several variations in the other pictures.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 10:36pm

Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 3:21am
Friend of mine had a 1958 flathead.............but now has a 1959 OHV in it now.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 6:31am
Maurico, that's the first time I've seen a 61-63 American with a factory heater delete panel! I knew the heater was optional in some places, just never saw one! Must be a Mexican model. 
Frank Swygert
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 10:14am
Thanks. They must have changed the throttle linkage almost every year.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic