TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Help with 401 heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
markbritt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with 401 heads
    Posted: Mar/26/2017 at 9:37am
Thanks to all on the advice and offering options. I talked with my machinist and he did offer a solution that would be to drill out the hole and insert a tapered plug. He also cautioned that since we don't know the extent of the crack, this may not solve the issue. Oil/Antifreeze leaking out of a hole is one thing, but since I don't know if anti is leaking into the oil, I have decided to pull the head and replace with a rebuilt 360 head I have.

Mark
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 9:39am
Not sure if you want to go this route but may be helpful, Devcon makes an epoxy product that is titanium reinforced. Resistant to chemicals and max temp is 350 F.

Here's some info on it. 90 bucks on amazon.

http://www.devcon.com/UserFiles/File/Devcon_Catalog_LR(2).pdf

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-10760-Gray-Titanium-Putty/dp/B00065TM08
markbritt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 5:36am
The head that was cut was a ruined 304 head, but the idea of seeing the thin section provided a good information on the water jacket and oil tubes.
MidWestMind View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MidWestMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by akimmet akimmet wrote:

Heads off a 360 will work just fine.
If I remember correctly, the 360 and 401 engines used the exact same heads for a given year. Only the 304 had different heads with smaller valves.

Yes they were.   

There was a guy trying to sell the 502-2's on fb last week as 401 only heads.
69 ambassador 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69 ambassador 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:04pm
Yeah!! Now that he cut a couple of pounds off it, no way is it gonna anchor his boat as well!!
Steve Brown

Algonac, Mi.

69 Ambassador sst 390

84 Grand Wagoneer

69 Cougar XR7

65 Fairlaine 500XL

79 F-350 Super Camper Special

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:32pm
So you ruined a perfectly good 304 head.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 7:47pm
From the pics I thought you pulled the head and cut it in half for a second there, was gonna say that's one way to check.

Here's what I would do: Fill that hole and buy a bulltear intake manifold alternator bracket lol

ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 1:45pm
If you end up needing a head, let me know.  I sold a large lot of parts to a buddy in Indianapolis including a bare 1973 401 head.  The other was damaged so only the one is usable.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
Moffman View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moffman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 10:39am
Originally posted by markbritt markbritt wrote:

Picture - yes I have several and will post tonight. I have one of those diag cameras on the long want, so I was able to get right up to the hole.

My main concern here is plugging the hole Yes, that will resolve the drips, but can this crack be large enough that anti will still flow into the oil behind the plug?

If you're lucky, you should be able to get away with plugging it with an insert and some sealer. To me the most concerning part is not only coolant but oil as well. How does your oil and coolant look, any cross contamination inside?
markbritt View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markbritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 10:21am
Picture - yes I have several and will post tonight. I have one of those diag cameras on the long want, so I was able to get right up to the hole.

My main concern here is plugging the hole Yes, that will resolve the drips, but can this crack be large enough that anti will still flow into the oil behind the plug?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic