TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

First-Ever Encounter - Rare Mexican Headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/29/2017 at 9:52pm
NAFTA means no import duty on anything made in Mexico so no worries there. Mauricio knows where my Lerma is, he can throw a few sets in the back and I will be driving it back to New York in a month or so. 

Mitch
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 10:43am
As to duals or headers on a street engine I-6 I have never really felt that they were worth the expense to install. The engines are small and a large single pipe seems more than adequate. That said, I have a single pipe manifold that I bought used from a Jeep salvage yard on the 258 in my Spirit running through the a high flow catalytic converter and a 16 inch glass pack. I am using the Chrysler fuel injection which makes the whole thing smog legal which at the time was important and still is registered that way. Personally I like the growl the thing sounds like and it has been trouble free for 50,000 miles.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
81eagle88 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81eagle88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/30/2017 at 12:02pm
Hudson found the a single large exhaust pipe was better breathing for the large 308 cu in six cylinder. NASCAR victories in the early fifties proved that a powerful torquey engine could beat the bent eights especially with a low center of gravity and a tight unit body. Nash's unit body further proved its viability. As a cars engine is essentially an air pump, more air in with more out via the scavenging effect of the large pipe increased the hp. Hudson was putting out 210 horsepower plus above the early V-8's. Not bad for an engine that turned <5000 rpm.
I just personally liked the sound of the dual pipes, my 53 Super Jet had dual exhaust with straight pipes until the Judge suggested otherwise...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic