TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

First-Ever Encounter - Rare Mexican Headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First-Ever Encounter - Rare Mexican Headers
    Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 7:28pm
Pictures below.

I met with a friend for the first time since 2013, he owns a 1971 VAM Javelin that still carries its original 1971 282 inline six cylinder. At that time, it was when we met for the first time and since I was part of the organizers of that particular event, I really didn't have time to have a good look at his car or talk to him about it.

At that time I saw something strange about the Javelin, it had headers instead of the standard exhaust manifold. At the time, I took for granted they were custom-made, but apparently, I was wrong.

First of all, this is a regular production VAM Javelin; it's NOT a Go Pack Javelin, which carries a four-barrel aluminum intake manifold, Carter AVS or AFB carburetor, exhaust headers, dual exhausts, 302 degree camshaft, ported engine head with larger valves and independent rockers, and reinfoced damper pulley.

According to my friend, the headers on the car are original units, they were not installed afterwards AND they ARE specified in the car's invoice.

I do know that headers in VAM cars were available as optional equipment as an individual accesory, they were not exclusive to the full Go Pack. This seems to be one such case.

Within VAM, despite the fact that the factory offered several accessories as options, the delearships would opt to offer the same accessories from outside sources, not just the ones not offered by the factory. The issue here is that I don't know if these headers are the factory units or dealership-made ones.

So far, I haven't seen LIVE any 1967-1971 VAM car with the Go Pack installed, only in pictures of cars sent by friends outside from where I live. Due to this, I can't tell if these headers are the same units used in Go Pack cars or a dealership-exclusive unit.

The really UNIQUE thing here, what is truly important, is that these are functional dual-outlet headers for inline six cylinder engines WITH THE STARTER PLACED AT THE INTAKES' SIDE OF THE ENGINE.

So far, all Javelins and 1967-1971 VAM cars I've seen with headers on, they are ALL custom-made, not a single ORIGINAL unit.

The original VAM headers are still in production by the original company DACIA in Mexico City. However, these are just the 3500 RPM mid-range headers used in the 1979-1983 VAM cars with the starters on the distributor's sides of the engines, what we could call the second-generation headers. The "first generation" Go Pack headers used from 1967 through 1974 are out of production.

On another note, the 1971 Javelin represents the ONLY year and model in which the 282 inline six cylinder engine had the started placed on the intakes' side. Like under AMC, all VAM engines in 1972 changed the side of the starter.

This is the car in question.

Engine pictures here:

Header pictures:

Full Side View

More Lighting

Three-Quarter View

A slightly deeper shot, below the intake. NOTICE the round outlets that connect the headers to the final exhaust pipes.

Using flash.

Farthest pipes. Notice the starter in the background. 
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 8:02pm
Pretty cool.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 12:57am
That certainly is something that would rate the word COOL. And apparently in pretty decent condition. Curiosity asks what transmission would be in it.
VAM did have a bell housing to install a T-10 transmission to an early I-6 engine, but would this engine be related in block castings to the later I-6 thus a V-8 Bell Housing bolt pattern, or the earlier version which had it's own bell housing bolt pattern.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 6:49am
VAM carried Group 19 parts for the inline 6.... big carbs... headers... special intake manifolds... camshafts... the inline 6 engine was very very popular throughout much of South America! VAM has a great history and its fascinating! Matter of fact.. that 6 cylinder has a Motorcraft 2100 on it stock!

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:14am
Interesting notes:
That is a delco starter, U.S. changed over to Motorcraft in 1969.

It's also stated the later model headers are still available new. Not something easy to get up here without ordering a set be made up.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:27am
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

Interesting notes:

It's also stated the later model headers are still available new. Not something easy to get up here without ordering a set be made up.

No kidding.  My ears perked up on reading that.  One of my biggest regrets was giving away a 6cyl aluminum VAM intake for the Motorcraft 2100 back in my young and stupid days.  That later-model headers are still available down there really interests me - enough that I'd consider building another 6 again.

Given that Clifford has all but given up, and that VAM parts were designed for much harsher driving conditions than we have up here, importing these parts would make a lot of sense.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

Interesting notes:

Ah.. yeah... I'm ready for this too! Anytime.. anywhere... as long as their not Clifford I would buy a set of these... I'll order it from Mexico if possible.... put my name on the list. This is a novelty worth having...

83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 8:47am
Originally posted by Rambler Mexicano Rambler Mexicano wrote:

The original VAM headers are still in production by the original company DACIA in Mexico City. 

Ok, now you have our attention, how can we order a set...?

2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:04am
Originally posted by 83GT 83GT wrote:

The original VAM headers are still in production by the original company DACIA in Mexico City. 

Boom! first and second... who's number 3??? 
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 9:25am
Originally posted by 1982AMCConcord 1982AMCConcord wrote:

Originally posted by 83GT 83GT wrote:

Boom! first and second... who's number 3??? 

How much we talkin'?  

I'd really love an early set for my cars.  Too bad they aren't being produced.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic