TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1981 Spirit DL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2017 at 10:33am
Looks like your off to a good start.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2017 at 1:53pm
Keep up the good work drive and enjoyBig smile
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 4:34pm
Good news for the Spirit! I finally was able to get a solid color match for my interior pieces from Ridge Napa in South Bend, IN. The people working there were very helpful and were able to get a pretty spot-on match for the oddball Nutmeg interior color. I could not for the life of me find any company that made a vinyl paint anywhere near this color, so I went to them to have it custom matched. I will post the formula in a picture below so that if you need to get your interior redone, it is much simpler than the rigmarole I had to go through. I ended up picking up 4 cans of the paint for around $75 which I thought was pretty reasonable. I also picked up some SEM Flexible Primer Surfacer to prep the pieces for the actual color finish. I hope this comes out well! Also, if you have any experience painting interior pieces and want to lend me some knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it! I don't want to have gone through all of this process only to screw up the application process. Hopefully these will be getting painted in the next week or so and I will keep you updated as we go. After this, the next step will be taking the car to the body shop to get quotes on repairing the rust I found in the rear hatch area and then finishing up the interior with sound deadener and new carpet! 

I used a scrap piece of plastic interior that had chipped off somewhere for them to test the paint up to. The first mix was a little too light, but the second one was about dead on (or as close as it could get.)

All of the cans are ready to roll! I might pick up another can of primer, but this should be plenty.

And finally, the secret formula for Nutmeg interior. Apparently this is a variation of a 1980 Volkswagen interior color called Assuan Brown. If you need the info to go to your local paint guy, have at it. Happy to help!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 9:01pm
More progress on the Spirit! Today I put 2 coats of the SEM Flexible Primer Surfacer and sprayed on 2 coats of the color matched paint I got at NAPA on the interior piece that was the smallest and easiest to recolor. 1/3 of the way done with the interior re-coloring! The result was above and beyond what I expected. Before I got started, I sprayed down the part with purple power (an industrial degreaser) and then followed up with isopropyl alcohol to remove any grease and clean up some of the remnants from my wetsanding. I was absolutely blown away with the result and I can't wait to finish the rest of the interior! On the nutmeg paint, I did have a slight hiccup when the spray can started to splatter a few little drops onto the piece, but I held the can upside down and cleared the nozzle and it didn't happen again. Luckily those few small drops seemed to blend right in after the second coat. I plan on ordering the front tires for it sometime this week and maybe spraying down one of those plastic wheel arch pieces if I have time. There are a lot more curves and crevices on these last 2 parts for the paint to run which makes me nervous, but if I go slow and apply light, even coats, that shouldn't be a problem. 

Looking good in the primer! SEM makes some quality products and the application went very smoothly.

First coat of the custom mixed Nutmeg is on! A few spots to add some more paint to, but that's better than getting runs in the paint. 

This is the before and after picture for reference. The top picture is the old, sun-faded, beat down, 36 year old plastic before wetsanding and painting. The bottom is the newly painted, nearly factory fresh piece. I think it came out amazing. Thanks to my wonderful girlfriend for putting up with me sending her pictures of what I spend my money on and obsess over from time to time. She actually used one of her photo apps to make this picture comparing the before and after. 

Here is that same part in a little better lighting. That nutmeg color really pops! I can't wait to finish up this interior and make it look like brand new. Again, a huge shoutout to Ridge NAPA in South Bend, Indiana for custom mixing a matching color for me. This wouldn't be a reality without your help. The next 2 pieces are in the works and will hopefully be finished soon!
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 7:14am
Final finish makes it all worthwhile. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 4:25pm
Now officially 2/3 of the way through this interior plastic restoration! Today I finished one of the wheel arch pieces I needed to finish up. I went through the same process of 2 coats of SEM flexible primer surfacer, and then 2 coats of the custom NAPA paint. The result was incredible. Even with the curvature of the part, I feel like I got good adhesion due to the primer, as well as a pretty smooth overall appearance. Can't complain about that! Here are some pictures of the process:

First coat of primer!

Second coat of primer. Getting that surface nice and smooth and ready for paint!

First coat of paint is on!

Second coat of paint is on! Just have to wait for it to dry. 

This paint darkens up as it dries, which makes it look quite a bit better. Here it is after it's dried, in a little different light. 

I took the piece down to the basement to do a side by side with the other wheel arch. You can really see the difference this paint is making. Granted, the other piece is wetsanded and prepped to be painted, but it's not much different in appearance from how it was before I started this whole restoration. Overall, I couldn't be happier. The paint is going on extremely well, and I haven't had a run in the paint yet (I may jinx myself for saying that.) Can't wait to finish up that last wheel arch piece and then maybe further on down the road, I'll refinish some of the smaller interior plastic pieces to match if they look dull compared to the restored pieces. 
73LevisX View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73LevisX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 3:58pm
Sean,

That looks fantastic! Kudo's for putting in the time on the prep work to do the job right.

Didn't you hear? All the best folks and smokin' deals are in South Bend. Many fond memories of the time spent there last summer... NOT! LOL!

Looking forward to catching up with you guys in Kenosha over a few brewski's.

Keep up the good work.

Chuck.
'73 Hornet X
304/904
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 5:41pm
Thanks Chuck! I've got a long way to go if I want to rival Tod's painting skills, but it's on its way. I started working on the final piece today and go figure, I ran out of primer half way through the second coat... At least this will give me an excuse to buy some more primer for the driver's and passenger kickpanels I wanted to redo. Look forward to seeing you and Tod in Gettysburg and Kenosha! Hopefully the Hornet makes it down and back without a hiccup this year. haha. If not, we'd welcome you back to grab some parts and some US beer along the way.
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 6:22pm
The car looks very good. The wheels make a big difference over the stock wheel covers. Nice job on the interior.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
racerkilla View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racerkilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/21/2017 at 8:06pm
Looks great. Its nice to make something old new again. I had done my full interior with sem black over faded black so was much easier but makes the interior looks so clean again

Your going in Gettysburg? I had a member that invite me.. around a 4 hour trip one way which isn't bad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic