TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Quadrajets!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 6:00pm
The Quadrajet is a decent carburator if its in good condition.   Most of them are worn out .....and when they are....  Rottenchester!    I had one on a chevy pick up for years... and it was wornout.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 10:53pm
You're going to take the massive secondary barrels of the Quadrajet that flow roughly 600 CFM and funnel them down through the small secondary bores in the plenum of the MC 4300 intake manifold that flow roughly 400 CFM.

Let's think long and hard about why that is a bad idea and completely negates the benefit of a spread bore carburetor.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2017 at 11:08pm
Quadrajet are indeed an interesting carburetor and as to application? GM used them on the Sprint overhead cam inline 6 engine which came in at a maximum of 250 cu in's. The Carburetor I believe was rated at 760CFM.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
amxron View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 1:18am
Q-Jet will be the same on a 304 as it is on a 305 GM.
The 304 won't pull enough vacuum to open the secondaries fully.
A couple spacers aren't a tunnel ram for sure.
If this is cheap do it, more than a few bucks do it right with
a Holley and stop wasting time.

Ron.
AMXron
Fleet/Jeep Mgr.
Orbit AMC/Jeep
50-1787
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 7:30am
Originally posted by purple72Gremlin purple72Gremlin wrote:

The Quadrajet is a decent carburator if its in good condition.   Most of them are worn out .....and when they are....  Rottenchester!    I had one on a chevy pick up for years... and it was wornout.

biggest problem with them is the last guy that had it off the engine, the top plate/air horn gets warped by some idiot that thinks they need the 5/16 bolts that hold it to the manifold tighter than f@%*....

2nd biggest is the air valve adjustment....

67 american 290/4speed
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 7:36am
on the q jet the secondary opening can be adjusted I am a fond person of the gm carb very tunable if you know what your doing metering rod changes all those good things they call them quadtrajunk but I love them and will take on any over a holly small primary for mileage and cruise large secondary for gofast
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Class Guy View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Class Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 7:40am
I have worked on and raced jets for almost 50 years. I have installed them and tuned them on just about anything you can imagine. They have the ability to be adapted to and perform well on almost any engine bigger than about 150 cubic inches. However, you have to understand their operation and be able to know what modifications are pertinent and effective to dial them in to a non-stock application. Considering that GM engineering them to work on 305 Chevies, 307 Oldsmobiles, 301 Pontiacs, making one work on a 304 AMC is not difficult. In fact, selecting one that was engineered for a 79-84 305 Chevy truck would be a decent place to start. It will help to have access to metering rods, jets, power piston springs and secondary metering rod hangers to be able to tune it effectively. Make changes methodically and recorded well to be able to zero in on the performance you want.

That being said, I adamantly recommend that you do not install it on a stock AMC manifold with an adapter. Use an Edelbrock Performer with an open adapter and blend the steps and sharp edges out of the area where the adapter transitions to the plenum in the manifold. If you can find an old Trans-Dapt adapter that has a divider plate, or modify an existing adapter to have a divider plate to separate the two sides of the manifold, low to mid speed throttle response, smoothness of operation and economy will be improved.

There is an abundance of technical material and information available that can educate you and guide you. I recommend either Doug Roe's classic book on Rochester carburetors (Roe was a Rochester engineer) or Cliff Ruggles' book that is published by HP.

Good luck!
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 7:46am
I can see by all of the "quadrabog" comments that you didn't know and understand how to set them up properly. I used to rebuild a lot them and if set up properly, they run very well. Class Guy is spot on with his recommendation and a small CFM version will work fine on a 304 since it sounds like you know to set one up.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 8:42am
They are very efficient when working right.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2017 at 8:46am
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

Quadrajet are indeed an interesting carburetor and as to application? GM used them on the Sprint overhead cam inline 6 engine which came in at a maximum of 250 cu in's. The Carburetor I believe was rated at 760CFM.
Some of the later ones were rated 800 CFM.   You cant really over carburate any engine with the Quadrajet.  the secondary flaps will only open as much as the engine can handle.  another small engines that had it was the older 4.3 chevy V6, and the buick 4.1.............
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic