TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

front end bushings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thadmoneous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: front end bushings
    Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 3:10pm
Hello, I am new to the AMC family. I have a 1966 rambler classic 770 wagon that is all original with a 327 2v carb. I would like to replace all the bushings in the front along with trail arm in the rear with Prothane. My question is, is the classic the same as ambassador and marlin as the "TSM" suggests?
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 3:16pm
Rambler Classic, Marlin, and Ambassador all use the same suspension parts. The springs will be slightly different as is the wheelbase.

Kanter Auto sells whole front suspension rebuild kits. Do not buy your strut rod bushings from O'reilly. They don't fit. I have a thread started in this section all about that headache right now.

I would avoid Polyurethane bushings unless you're willing to completely throw a smooth and quiet ride away to gain a little handling ability.  Handling is more in the springs, shocks, sway bar, and tires than the bushings. I've driven cars with Poly bushings and it's miserable. They squeak like heck and you feel every pebble in the road. That's coming from me, and I daily drive a Jeep on 6-ply Nylon tires.

1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Thadmoneous View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thadmoneous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 3:44pm
Thank you very much for your insight.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 4:44pm
I disagree on your assessment of poly bushings. I have converted all my cars in the last 15 years to poly front and rear and have no issues with a hard ride or squeaks. Also much easier to replace the bushings using poly by pressing out the existing shells. I also never use the waxy "lube" prothane supplies. I assemble with a moly/graphite paste like Chesterton 787 or Jet Lube 550 anti sieze or more common CRC brake caliper grease which also has PTFE added...never had a squeak and the cars handle much better. I will say that the bigger/heavier the car is the more effect they will have in reducing road noise. Not sure about the torque tube 4 link rears but I know the 67 up Rebels/Matadors/Ambos use early Chevelle size rear control arm bushings.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2017 at 8:56am
In general harder bushings will help handling some, but transfer more vibration and jarring to the body. Has to... simple physics. Whether it's objectionable to you or not is subjective. If there are mostly good roads where you are you may not even notice a difference. On older country roads you probably will.

Best way to increase handling on the 63-66 cars is to order 12% stiffer springs from www.coilsprings.com (they make springs to order). That seems to be the "sweet spot" for a street car. The high spring mount suspension design is very roll resistant, but the cars were sprung for a nice soft ride. The factory HD springs are around 20% stiffer than standard and too darned hard. I've used 10% and 12% over stock, and 12% seems to be the best -- you can just tell they are stiffer, but not that much change in ride, real noticeable in handling. The 10% aren't as noticeable. 15% might be good too, but it's amazing what that 2% difference does!

I use poly sway bar bushings and links, but rubber control arm bushings. I modified a 79 Spirit 7/8" sway bar to fit my 63 Classic, but you will notice stiffer springs more than a sway bar. I only realize the sway bar is there on the hardest turns -- the springs you will notice right away. For most people the stiffer springs is all they need, the bigger sway bar (V-8 cars had a sway bar, sixes didn't) isn't needed. I put a V-8 sway bar on mine for a short time, didn't notice it at all. The bigger Concord bar was only slightly noticeable, as I already noted. Wouldn't bother to install it for a street car again.
Frank Swygert
Thadmoneous View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thadmoneous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2017 at 12:30pm
Thank you
madams View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2017 at 1:02pm
I recently installed the entire Prothane bushing set in a 68 AMX and they fit/installed/drive well.  I have used Prothane on everything but the a-arm bushings on a 67 (cough-cough) Camaro with good success for several years.  Decided to go all Prothane on the AMX build and have been happy so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic