TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Pirates of the Caribbean.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pirates of the Caribbean.
    Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 2:47pm
As I mentioned in the Chat forum, first time out today.
Creaking noises as I set off, like the ships in Pirates of the Caribbean.
One of the brakes is binding. Might be the left front. I noticed when I was greasing the susp, but the drum didn't want to come off so I decided the bind might magically go away. It seems my magic wand is inop, perhaps the battery's gone.

It's not binding badly, I can push the car when it's in the garage.
But....

Now in every other drum car I've owned, there's an adjuster on the back. Not here.
So, what's the drill? Take it apart grease everything with brake grease put it back together per the TSM set it up on the adjuster drive backwards while it self-adjusts - what comedian dreamt that one up - and then it will be OK??

Or is there a better way? Anything special to look out for?

Btw, the 62 TSM has bigger better illustrations than the 63.

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2017 at 3:55pm
Ivor,

Is there an oval shaped knockout on the backing plate that you can remove and back the brakes off enough to get the  drum off?  A rubber plug can then be placed into the hole where the knockout came out.  if no knockout hole,  drill some holes and connect the dots to make an access hole where the adjuster is.

You might try grinding the button off the shoe retainer and then forcefully pulling the drum and shoe assembly off the backing plate if all else fails. You'll need some replacement parts then.

I have a spare Javelin that sat so long in the weather that the drums were corroded and glued tight to the shoes. The wheels wouldn't rotate at all. I had to get pretty nasty with the assembly to remove it all and much of it was junk then for sure.

This all of course is dependent on the 62/63 990V8 cars having conventional bendix or wagner style drum brakes. I've never had one apart.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2017 at 6:36am
You're talking about 50s style brakes with the adjuster on the back, at least in the US. There should be the rubber plug in the backing plate as noted. If you look in the TSM it should say something about adjusting the brakes. There is a special tool that makes things easier, but a screwdriver will do. You need a stiff wire or probe to stick in and hold the adjuster arm off the wheel, then turn the wheel with the screwdriver. If you look at TSM and how the self-adjuster works you will figure it out. Sounds like you might have worn shoes and/or springs, maybe a broken spring. If the shoes are on backwards they can bind some also.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 2:06pm
Reason the drum wouldn't come off, as I think I mentioned in another thread, is that I hadn't realised it's one with the hub. Once I undid the hub nut, off it came.

Be a shame if all cars were the same.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 5:44am
Most cars do have the front drum fastened to the hub. It's usually held on by the serrations at the base of the lug bolts. Drive the lugs out and the drum will come off, but that's just for replacing the drum. The drum is usually a tight fit around the center for the front hub, mostly from rusting on though. It won't hurt if the new drum is a loose fit like a rear drum is. Some manufacturers used 2-3 small screws to hold the drum on. It was for manufacturing speed -- the drum didn't fall off the front suspension sub assembly when it was being installed (suspension was put together then put on the car).
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/20/2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Most cars do have the front drum fastened to the hub. Some manufacturers used 2-3 small screws to hold the drum on

Yes, that's what I was expecting. It's almost universal practice in the UK. Countersunk screws. Never seen a drum where one has to remove the whole hub.

Bugatti had a variation on that - his Type 35 had the brake drums as part of the cast alloy wheels.

Ivor
Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic