TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What Octane?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Octane?
    Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:01am
Ok, I'm reassembling (actually just adding the heads) to a 1970 390 to get it running and install it in my 70 Donohue to get it out of the way and out of the garage.  When I start driving it, (original 390 bored .030 oversize) with 291C heads, what gas will it take?  93/6 octane?  Will it run OK without backing off on the timing?  I am in CA with crap gas.  I do have other sets of cast iron heads I can install.  I will not make the investment for aluminum heads for this car.  

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:06am
I assume you have the original camshaft?  That and static compression ratio are the major factors in determining the octane requirement.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:14am
The engine had one rebuild by a previous owner.  I don't know the source or specs on the cam.  I can look for a part number.  Thanks,  Joe
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:17am
Originally posted by 6PakBee 6PakBee wrote:

I assume you have the original camshaft?  That and static compression ratio are the major factors in determining the octane requirement.
If it is the original camshaft, and the engine build date is after Sept. 26, 1969, it has the Type II cam, which closes the intake valve 7 degrees later than the Type I cam. It's not bad for a stock cam.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 10:59am
I have a 390 with stock pistons and heads and around 190 static compression. I run it on 91 octane no ethanol. I am at 2500 feet which helps, at sea level I used 94 octane no ethanol. Timing is total 36 degrees and a fairly slow advance. 

A true MD would have been made in Jan-april or so 1970 if memory serves, so it will have the type II cam, if original. 

Chris 
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 11:41am
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

I have a 390 with stock pistons and heads and around 190 static compression. I run it on 91 octane no ethanol. I am at 2500 feet which helps, at sea level I used 94 octane no ethanol. Timing is total 36 degrees and a fairly slow advance. 

A true MD would have been made in Jan-april or so 1970 if memory serves, so it will have the type II cam, if original. 

Chris 
Correct about the MD build dates from what I remember. I missed the part about what car it was in.
tached_out View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tached_out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 1:40pm
If I had other heads to chose from, I'd pick the later lower compression heads in order to reduce my dependancy on high octane gas.

The additional benefit (if you're keeping the valves and seat angles stock) is better flow at low lift. Something the 291Cs weren't that great for. 

Sure they were the heads offered back when muscle was king and the advertised numbers were the stuff of legend. This has always made those heads the most sought after. The reality though, is AMC offered better all around heads later in the `70s. Why not use them.

I know you didn't say you wanted to change the cam, but there are also way better cams that have come along since 1970. This would be a good time to consider the upgrade to one with a more modern "max area under the curve" type of profile. 
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 2:15pm
Thanks everyone.  I might change the cam, but I do have some later heads, 090 and 502 as I recall.  I'll see what shape they are in, but might keep the 291s.  Joe
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2017 at 2:24pm
Flat top single relief pistons or dish???

This is really important because
the 291C heads with flat top single relief
pistons can send the compression ratio
to over 13:1
Gremlin Dreams
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic