TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Ford 8.8 conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ford 8.8 conversion
    Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 7:09pm
I've searched the forum. I came up with a lot of posts that spoke about it, but I couldn't find one that listed all the details involved. I am considering putting it into a 73 javelin. If some one could send me a link that would be awesome. Another thought, if some one who has done the swap had the time to put a post in the technical section would be great! Thanks
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 7:28pm
73 Javelin has a wide axle... Explorer rears fit pre 71 cars better, though I would think rear wheel spacers would need to be done to place wheels out more. Don't like the idea of using wheel spacers on the rear, as customizing for brakes will need to be done.

IMO for the money used to make a Ford 8.8 fit a 71 to 74 Javelin, I would stick with the AMC20 and have the axles keyed and use a 69 to 71 Sure Grip unit. If you want disc brakes there are kits. May run a wee more in the long run over a disc explorer rear after everything is done.

Back in the 80s it was a cheap option to grab a 68 to 70 B body rear, ad they are a fairly quick drop in. Though they had big drums, which negated wanting to mod for discs.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 7:48pm
I'm putting one in my Javelin as soon as I get the trans swap done which should be in a few weeks. I'm putting the trans together now. I picked up an 8.8 from a Explorer and I will tell you that it's 1.5" narrower from axle flange to axle flange. The rotors are a bit thicker than the drums so maybe 1.25".

Not a deal breaker to me if you run aftermarket wheels but if you want to stay with stock wheels, the spacers could be a turn off. To get a 3:73 limited slip, with disc brakes for $125 makes it a way better deal to me than swapping gears, changing axles and buying a L/S carrier. (which I would have to do) Depending upon what they bring near you, a "wee bit more" is nowhere close IMO since there's tons of them out there and they're pretty cheap. Just saying.... Wink

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
Floorman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 8:14pm
1.5 narrower? Hum makes me wonder. I haven't had my hands on an 8.8 from an explorer yet. So now I wonder if you grabbed two of them and extend the short side to the same length if that is the answer. Personally I'm not good enough to cut and weld an axle tube. But, my buddy is. He has a jig for cutting the tubes. Perfect square cuts every time. Unless some one has an 8.8 handy that can put a tape on it, it'll have to wait till I go to the pick n pull.
Floorman View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 8:20pm
Another thought. I'm going to measure the 20 in the javelin now, then see if there are any nine inches close enough to work. If it is any where's close to the Torino. I'll be furious. I scrapped two that I couldn't give away at $50 apiece.
A disc brake conversion on a nine is super cheap. It's a little work, and time going to the pull it yard but for about $150. It is worth it.
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 8:44pm
I am using an explorer 8.8 disc brake in my gremmy. Had to weld in new spring brackets. driveshaft runs a slight angle to right side but does not seem to hurt anything except being close to the muffler. fabbed new brake lines and used the 5.5 inch offset wheels off my jav. have not done anything with master cylinder or proportioning valve. still has manual brakes. 4 wheel disc - now it stops. the javelin is wider so you may need to extend short side which would put carrier centered. I thought I was going to have to shorten. cannot remember but I think short side was 1.5 inches different. so if you put extended short side of axle with long axle it would probably be ok with right backspace
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Floorman Floorman wrote:

1.5 narrower? Hum makes me wonder. I haven't had my hands on an 8.8 from an explorer yet. So now I wonder if you grabbed two of them and extend the short side to the same length if that is the answer. Personally I'm not good enough to cut and weld an axle tube. But, my buddy is. He has a jig for cutting the tubes. Perfect square cuts every time. Unless some one has an 8.8 handy that can put a tape on it, it'll have to wait till I go to the pick n pull.

That probably wouldn't work either. The axles are 2 7/8" different in length. Two long axles would make it almost 1.5" wider than your current rear.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 10:06pm
Since spring perches would have to be moved from the ford location to the AMC location, could a Mustand rear be used?

Cut off the trailing arm mounts and weld on your leaf spring perch...?

Is the Mustang unit lighter than the truck unit...?
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2017 at 10:22pm
I would like to see the whole cost to install a 8.8. I know you can buy a complete diff cheap but lots of applications require modifications. narrow an axle, buy an extra axle, weld new perches on. Have a new drive shaft made. It all adds up if you cant do it yourself. I can see the work if you dont have a model 20 to work with but to me the cost cant be that different.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2017 at 12:08am
I did my 69 Rambler:

8.8 cost on Craigslist: $150
Cost to cut it down 2 7/8", weld it, put in new perches and axle and gears: $900
New u-bolts and u-bolt brackets: $125
I did the pulling of the old AMC 15 and installing the rebuilt 8.8. While I was at it I purchased and installed new leaf springs, shackles and shocks. So I am into it for between $1,500 - $1,700 with everything I listed above. If I were a good welder I could have saved $ but I wasn't going to take any chances with screwing up the rear so it was worth it to me.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic