TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > Product Announcements
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX led tail lights

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX led tail lights
    Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 10:09am
I contacted Digital-tails to see if they would develop LED tail lights for a 70 AMX and here is the response.
If your interested pleas s nod them a request. A link to their web site is bellow.

Thank you for your request. We are always designing new products based on
customer demand. If you want to speed up the time-to-market for your
particular request feel free to tell your friends who want the same product
to request it as well.

Thanks,

DIGI-TAILS Team

Digi-Tail web site
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 4:08pm
 Kind of pricey going by 69 Camaro for $299. It looks like the array of LED's are visible from behind the OE lens :-(, if they came with a diffuser it would help. Also If they were setup like Cadillac and some others to be fast on and off, I read about fast speed led's being a function of electronic control where they strobe the power to the LED's. As they are they don't appear to have much advantage over incandescent. There is a thread here somewhere about LED tail lights with a diffuser made out of the diffusers used for overhead fluorescent lighting they looked pretty good, my link no longer works, it's possible someone here moves things around then saved links don't work anymore?

Tony
4.0 Rambler View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 4:59pm

I would imagine they would look similar to these and at $300 would not be bad.
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 5:16pm
O'Rielly's sells these replacement LED bulbs. I ran them on a 68 Mustg and they are bright,low heat and are much longer lasting than incandescent bulbs. Price $17.00 a pair.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/26/2016 at 8:08pm
Digi-Tails makes some of the nicest LEDs on the market and they do show up well behind stock lenses. I've put a couple of sets in for friends and they've been very happy with them. Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended.  I tried to get them to make the for a 73-74 Javelin but no luck so that's why I made my own up. A lot of the led bulbs out there are junk so buyer beware.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 7:47am
Digi-Tails has agreed to take a look at the housings and lenses to build a prototype led conversion for my car. Stay tuned as things develop
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 10:15am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Digi-Tails makes some of the nicest LEDs on the market and they do show up well behind stock lenses. I've put a couple of sets in for friends and they've been very happy with them. Yes, they're a bit pricey but it's worth it to avoid getting rear-ended.  I tried to get them to make the for a 73-74 Javelin but no luck so that's why I made my own up. A lot of the led bulbs out there are junk so buyer beware.

Yep, that is why I will be making a custom set for myself as well. Geez $300 is pricey, I would make them for half the price, but there is way too much competition and troublesome ebay buyers to even think about trying.

I packed away my 71 tailight housings, in thinking I could do some snazzy custom housing work from a Dodge Charger or Challenger that allows for non fus installation. And that would be about $100 or so in cost.

IMO, having old style housings defeats the plug and play LED use on our cars. I am thinking of a replacement insert panel that must be installed when the lens is removed. This no limit with fitting through socket size. Just measure out the cup area and cut a circuit a hobby circuit board for making your panel, break an old bulb and cleanout the fitting, solder in wires with mini plug for the custom panel. Sell as a two piece kit. The bulb end is installed on the oem socket with wired mini plug going in through the socket hole. The panel goes in from the lense side and is held in place with some sticky putty along the back side edges as it is seated at bottom of the cup.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dkrtgood View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkrtgood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/05/2016 at 2:16pm
I am also currently mocking up a set for my 70. Has roughly 30 LEDS per side and has built in sequential turn signals like the Shelbys. I have all the parts and an extra  tail light assy for fitment, just need to find time to see how it works out. 

LEDs use way less amperage and will be cooler and last forever....when I step on my brakes now you can watch the volt meter drop..that's how much power drain those 1157's are.

Dave Goodwin
President of Tampa Bay AMC

70 Mark Donohue BBO 390 5-speed
77 Matador Coupe AKA "The Beave"
70 Javelin 360 / Auto - BBG

AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4.0 Rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/06/2016 at 8:19am
Originally posted by dkrtgood dkrtgood wrote:

I am also currently mocking up a set for my 70. Has roughly 30 LEDS per side and has built in sequential turn signals like the Shelbys. I have all the parts and an extra  tail light assy for fitment, just need to find time to see how it works out. 

LEDs use way less amperage and will be cooler and last forever....when I step on my brakes now you can watch the volt meter drop..that's how much power drain those 1157's are.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that is thinking of upgrading to LEDs. They do offer a lot of benefits.
Yesterday I sent off the tail light housings and back up light to Digitails for conversion. The plan is to have  them flash sequential and I am also going to see if they can have the back up light light up with the running lights. I think this would give the back of the car a unique look when cruising, and the more lights on hopefully gets peoples attention to avoid a rear end collision. 

If everything works out I think I will also convert the fronts to LEDs. I figure they will look  something like these from a 69 Camaro. And since I run orange Hornet front lenses it will be very close. 
1970 AMX

1969 Rambler
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2016 at 8:27pm
interesting   I may see what happens here as I finish up the 70 Donohue
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic