TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 AMX shocks and springs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1969 AMX shocks and springs
    Posted: Nov/24/2016 at 10:54am
Hey guys looking for a set of shocks that can handle some abuse. I am currently running the KYB's but feel the need to upgrade as I am making the move from street tires (300) to a sub (100) rated tire. Also what are my options for springs leaf and coil.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2016 at 7:42pm
What are you planning to do with the car? Street driving, or something more aggressive?
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2016 at 8:42am
something much more aggressive than street driving.I have been taking it to open track events, hence the 100 treadwear rated tires.
                           Chris
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 11:04am
Asking as there are lots of Pro-Touring cars that are built for Pro-Show.

I'm in the process of developing a trunion replacement kit for pre-70 front suspensions. I've done some AutoX with my '69 Javelin, and I believe there is much room for improvement while maintaining stock steering components, and stock suspension mounting points.

I have the upper control arms fabricated, and I'm now working on the coil-over mounting options. If you would like to know more at this early stage, shoot me a PM.
Looking to have a few kits ready in spring, and more available at the AMC homecoming this summer.

Mike

Edited by 343sharpstick - Dec/14/2016 at 11:31am
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 4:02pm
I'm wondering if you could contact Koni and/or Bilstein (both make racing/auto cross shocks) and let them know what KYB units you'd like to upgrade from and see if they have something off-the-shelf that would work.

They may need an update vehicle weigh if your AMX is stripped to racing weight...

It's a thought...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 6:57pm
I have Carrera shocks on the rear and KYB's on the front, poly bushings all around on a 69 AMX. Added leaf to rear leaf springs. Won my class in autox a few years ago. Engine out now and looking to beef up front suspension. Be interested in your trunnion replacement kit. Keep us informed.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/14/2016 at 9:22pm
I have a few details to iron out, once I get past that, I'll be posting on the 'product announcement' section, and I'll have a web site with lots of detail as well. I'm a few weeks out from that yet, but when I get that done I'll post.

Thanks for the interest.
iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2017 at 9:55am
Update.
    Just finished a Track day with a new tire/wheel combo 15x8 with a 4.25  BS in front  and a 15x10 with a 4.5 b.s in back (the rears required a little metal movement) I ran the hoosier tds 245/60/15 in front and 275/60/15 in rear. these are Bias ply tires. the car liked them much better than the 17" wheels and raidials. the car is just a stock spring set up with kyb shocks currently.

During a search for suspension up grades i found that summit racing caries a kit for the AMX. Can you believe that? ( see link)After driving a ride tech Camaro I think I am going to go with the Ride tech shocks listed.
     As far as springs go I have been in comunication with a guy who road races a 69 AMX using the  trunnion set up and he uses a 5x13 Eibach spring in the front (this may require a spacer). Also advises on a 5 leaf spring with an AFCO Racing Leaf Spring Pivot Bushing Assemblies 20229P in the front and hand fit poly in the rear. using the factory torque links.

so if any one is interested this is the route I planing on taking. I will update on results in the fall.

( https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/summit-racing/part-type/project-valkyrie-combos?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&tw=project%20Valky&sw=Summit%20Racing%20Project%20Valkyrie%20Combos)

iapexl8r View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iapexl8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2017 at 12:50pm
AMoCoLite View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMoCoLite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 7:53am
Great video...TY for sharing!

iapexl8r...what is powering your AMX? (AMC powered?)

What type of car is the camera car?

Great to see AMC's on the track!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic