TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 AMX Bendix Caliper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 AMX Bendix Caliper
    Posted: Nov/21/2016 at 8:07pm
Guys -

Looks like the passenger side Bendix caliper decided to have a seal let go and leak all over
the place.

Anyone use the reman calipers from Autozone or NAPA? 

I know that Kennedy American carries a Bendix style caliper that's new rather than reman.  I'd
imagine that it's not going to have the possibility of pitting around the caliper openings that
a reman could potentially have.

But it's a one year warranty while the reman from Autozone is a limited lifetime...

Hmm.  What do you think?

Thanks.

Steve
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2016 at 8:14pm
Go to Rockauto, buy a Cardone reman for $94 and I think you'll find that it's actually a new casting.
(NAPA and Autozone may list these, but you'll find they are "out of stock".)
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2016 at 8:44pm
I used a set of the new casting 4 piston calipers from Cardone on a 68 AMX, they worked well, even with the old rotors. Minor fitment problem on one side, had to grind a little on the caliper housing to clear up an interference with the original Magnum 500's. Other than that, I'd recommend them unless you want to go the Calipers Online route and have them sleeve you originals. Not cheap, but the stainless inserts should outlast the car! 
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
javsst View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javsst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2016 at 8:52pm
Sounds like the Cardones will do the job.

I probably won't see the interference as I have Weld Wheels with spacers. 

But good to know! :)

Thank you!

Steve
aussierogue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussierogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 9:06am
Does anyone know if Rock Auto are still selling the new castings as re-manufactured?  it looks like the best route if your calipers are shot
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 9:53am
Yes, they are still labeled "remanufactured" though they are indeed new.
I've seen this with multiple calipers from Cardone and others (even Carquest at Advance Auto), where the item is described as reman, but is clearly a new casting.

Sometimes on ebay, you can find a pair of the Cardone 4 piston Bendix for even less than RockAuto. Type in the Cardone # and see what pops up!

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
mymark View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mymark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 11:30am
Summit $85.00 free shipping.
Donohue
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by mymark mymark wrote:

Summit core charge is $70.00. The Summit calipers are new without casting numbers or Bendix name on them. A pair of calipers arrived last week from Summit. I emailed them and  asked why they are charging a core charge and customer service replied "Cardone says they are remanufactured" even though the box the calipers  come in have a label that says Cardone Calipers 100% new. Anyone's guess as to what is really going on.....a Summit/Cardone marketing scheme ???? Still a very good deal even if you keep the cores.
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
aussierogue View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aussierogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2019 at 11:56pm
Ok thanks guys, I visited my brake shop and the price to re-sleeve all 8 cylinders, we were half way to buying complete Wilwood front end.  I'd like to keep the front end original as I can, I'm ok to go repro calipers on the front.  I'll order them with Rock Auto.  I just need longer studs now, this has been discussed to death and I'm resigning myself to having some made. 
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2019 at 10:25am
Originally posted by AMXFSTBK390 AMXFSTBK390 wrote:

Originally posted by mymark mymark wrote:

Summit core charge is $70.00. The Summit calipers are new without casting numbers or Bendix name on them. A pair of calipers arrived last week from Summit. I emailed them and  asked why they are charging a core charge and customer service replied "Cardone says they are remanufactured" even though the box the calipers  come in have a label that says Cardone Calipers 100% new. Anyone's guess as to what is really going on.....a Summit/Cardone marketing scheme ???? Still a very good deal even if you keep the cores.

Cardone is doing this as a way to collect valuable cores. They are primarily a remanufacturer, they only offer new castings for applications where rebuildable cores are hard to come by. If they actually had some original cores in stock, they would rather send you those instead of new.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic