TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1963 Rambler 660 Engine noise after shutting off
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1963 Rambler 660 Engine noise after shutting off

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 11:23am
Thanks so much Tomj, I have the factory Parts and Service manual. The car had a  tune-up just before I got it. 
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by Tommywilliams04 Tommywilliams04 wrote:

Thanks so much Tomj, I have the factory Parts and Service manual. The car had a  tune-up just before I got it. 

For what it's worth unless you actually did the tune up yourself you REALLY don't know what was done to it.  Check everything.  I'll also go along with what others have said that putting ultra premium in a car that wasn't designed for it is merely a "band aid". 
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Ken Doyle View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Doyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 12:34pm
If it runs better on premium fuel and you want to run regular fuel, you need to retard the ignition timing a bit.

The car is designed to run either regular or premium.  The owner's manual lists timing setting for both.

Edited by Ken Doyle - Oct/29/2016 at 12:41pm
Tommywilliams04 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tommywilliams04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/29/2016 at 1:03pm
If premium is better for the engine I don't mind spending a bit extra. I'm using it as my daily driver.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic