TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

232 headers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 232 headers
    Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 2:46pm
the headers are def. not like that now. Try to find a pic of them......    pretty bad stuff. I wish I could see an old clifford header.
setting guys out by car lengths....
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 2:14pm
Another thing about those headers I bought so long ago, they lasted over 10 years on a daily driver, that's including winters. Right through the 76-78 winters.
I had to put some small patches on the bottom tubes, in the late 70s or early 80s, as much from dragging as from rust. Rust took over pretty fast when I stopped driving the car daily, though.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by poormansMACHINE poormansMACHINE wrote:

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I guess. Time to upgrade the memory.............

I don't believe the vacuum tubes for that particular model are produced any longer.

Gee, thanks! But you are probably right.................
Even Radio Shack no longer carries their famous gold-plated pin type.
poormansMACHINE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote poormansMACHINE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I guess. Time to upgrade the memory.............

I don't believe the vacuum tubes for that particular model are produced any longer.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 10:57am
Whoops, yes, that was my point, a big difference in the cubes dumping per/collector between the 232 and the 360. My typo sort of negated some of that! I was running too many calculations at once in my head, I guess. Time to upgrade the memory.............
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 10:51am
What is the idea phasing of the exhaust tubes on a 6 for the best exhaust scavanging ?
The headers I got from Clifford in 72, I bought them when I was still in the Army and had them shipped to my home address, they had a Viper trademark on them. They were egual lenght, and stepped in the collector, and certainly big enough tubes and collector for a 232.
That's 116 ci per collector billd.
There's usually fitting problems putting headers on 6 cylinders, you've got headers, intake manifold, master cylinder, maybe a brake booster, steering gear, and in the pre-72 6s the starter too, all on the same side of the engine. You're going to have to do some careful bending to fit some perfectly tuned bunch of snakes headers in the little room left.
Of course, it's not out of the range of possibility that Clifford is not still selling the same headers they were selling 36 years ago.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jan/17/2009 at 11:02am
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2009 at 5:54am
Maybe they have changed. They were really pretty decent in the 70's. The welds and fit were quite good. I'd not say tiny collectors - at least then - especially considering the small cubic inches that was pumping into them. 3 cylinders pushing into each to two collectors......figuring the cubes pumping into each collector from a 232, I figured they were plenty large on the set I had. Then I had them reduced going into dual 2" pipes, so that little 232 was breathing easy. 151 cubes per collector compared to say 180 per collector on a 360 V8.
I attribute the clutch bellcrank to them being Jeep headers. There's a difference, quite a difference, in the clearances and space between them and the small body car.
The job? Well, there's truth to that! I like WHAT I do, it's just the conditions under which it's done that aren't great. I'm dam good at what I do but get little support for doing it correctly. I do it anyway, knowing that I know much more than they do and I'm the only one there able to perform computer and/or network forensics so have little worry. (in other words, other than one other person there, no one knows what they are doing)
It's possible to love your job - the work that you do, but hate the conditions under which you do it. Like a doctor in a war zone - they may hate war but love helping people.
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2009 at 10:23pm
haha thats like saying, I hate my boss and I get paid like crap, but otherwise I like my job.   Haha  sorry billd, your post just read funny, and I have had the chance to see these clifford headers in person, and they are horrible, bad welds, tiny collectors, non tuned length, not even equall runners, or follow the firing order for scavenging. I just call it like I see it, any header is better than stock, but there is a LOT to be desired in the clifford stuff.

Edited by forest - Jan/16/2009 at 10:24pm
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2009 at 9:03am
I had Clifford headers on my 68 back in the 70's.
They were fine, except for clearance issues with clutch bellcrank. A bit of ball-peen hammer on a tube and some grinding on the bellcrank solved that issue.
Otherwise they fit fine.
They were sold as Jeep headers back then, so that may explain the clearance thing. A lot of the "Jeepers" ran them back when.
Do a search for Jeep header, and see what companies pop up, then contact them.......
Folks here can tell you if they may have clearance issues due to the differences in the Jeep chassis, etc.
forest View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2009 at 8:54am
clifford performance sells headers, but they are a bunch of junk, still a little better than a stock manifold. Youre better off building your own if your good
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic