TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Mexican Engine Heads

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/06/2016 at 12:27am
wow! worlds of info hidden in plain sight!

sounds like you would sell every aluminum intake you could find and ship here.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

beepbeep View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote beepbeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2016 at 12:40am
Thanks, Very interesting. my friend was an AMC engineer, worked for years at the Burlington Proving Grounds. AMC was very connected to what was happening at VAM. VAM engine'd cars were tested at Burlington and he claims there were fast and powerful. When questioned about using the VAM spec engine in the US, the answer was no, it won't pass our air standards. Talking to other AMC retirees, they tell of dealing with VAM, loading boxcars with knocked down assemblies and "Mexico only parts". AMC was known for making much from nothing but was amazed at VAM's ability to use anything AMC wanted to send south.. BB       
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2016 at 2:28am
AMC had a wide range of off shore marketing with associations with Renault in many places. Some successful very fast vehicles were manufactured around AMC pieces in other places sales were made. But the were not marketed as AMC but as RAMBLERS's a factoid probably little known. One of the interesting locations was South Africa where they were assembled by Toyota but due to local content regulations, they were assembled with Chevrolet 6 cylinder engines. It is and has been very hard to trace down and verify how AMC marketed their vehicles out side of the continental U.S. and Canada.

As to additional carburetor applications to the AMC engine at pretty much any size the basic formula used to determine CFM capability says a 400 CFM carburetor is and easy alternative. A carburetor I have installed on I-6 engine successfully and have now on a 232 with an Iskenderian 270HL Cam. It is at the present on an engine stand looking for a place to put it.

Edited by uncljohn - Dec/17/2016 at 2:36am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2016 at 11:04am
Well, the 4.0L head is better than the VAM head. So there really is no reason to spend the money to ship one across the border, except for curiosity. The intake, however, may be worth it. While there are adapters for the 2300 to the AMC 2Vintake an intake made for the 2300 should be better.

The 4.0L block has about the same bore as the 282. You should be able to use the 282 head on it without notching. Again, with the excellent 4.0L head there really is no point in swapping. The only gain by using a 282 block is that you can drive a mechanical fuel pump, but you get a lot of weight in return.

I'm not putting down the VAM effort at all. At the time it was bigger and a bit better in some respects than the US sixes. The 4.0L just took those developments one step further.

Great info on the VAM sixes, do keep it coming!!
Frank Swygert
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2017 at 12:39pm
Fantastic information. I'm personally really jealous of all the options VAM had for their cars! Very very unique cars!
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2017 at 3:58pm
UPDATE. DEC. 2017

Restored the pictures and corrected some errors in the information.

I had the chance to see a disassembled VAM engine at a friend's shop.

It is a 282 that came from a 1978 VAM Jeep J-200 Pick Up truck.

However, I stumbled accross something unexpected. The original 1978 Jeep head was gone. The one in place is actually the modern Jeep spec 282 unit used only in 1984-1986.

This head took advantage of AMC's new plastic valve cover design, made with the purpose of shedding general engine weight.

This meant a flat distributor's side of the head and smaller spark plugs (N-12Y and B-N12Y specificed spark plug types). And, as we know, that also meant a real pain in the rear in the form of never-ending oil leaks.

Like the 1977 design, it kept the new Quench-type combustion chambers and aluminum intake manifold for the Motorcraft 2150 and Holley 2300 two barrel carburetors.

Like the early 1982 design, the main feature of this head lied in its improved intake ports design. Something I will try to investigate is how the port design in this head fares against that of the 4.0 heads.

One difference I have noticed on this head is that the combustion chambers are slightly deeper than the ones in the 1977-1982 heads, thus making compression ratio lower.

Although I haven't had the need or chance of taking down my car's engine head and thus never directly checked the ports, combustion chambers and valve diameters, I do know this is the one I have in my 1981 Rally GT. I was still a rookie back then, the mechanic who installed the head is a very reliable friend of mine who suggested the change and thus carried it out.

I still have my original 1977-1982 head as a spare in case it is ever needed.

Nice VAM etching.

Top view, rocker mounts, valve tops and springs.

Rockers removed, Valves and Springs still in place.

Close up of valves and combustion chambers.

All six combustion chambers in view.

Intake/Exhaust Ports.

Spark plug outlets, front quarter view.

Spark plug outlets, rear quarter view.

Engine block.

Edited by Rambler Mexicano - Dec/23/2017 at 4:19pm
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 6:59am
That is so cool! It must have been a good running engine because the burn patterns in the chambers and on the valves are all pretty even. Good information! Thanks for doing the research! 
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2017 at 9:01am
Alright! Thank you Rambler Mexicano for the info with pictures: this has been a long time comin'!

My first thought was 'where's my die grinder & let me get started porting!'

This definitely has value for max-built AM inline six.

The larger Mexican 282 valves offer low cost hop up potential for converting '56-'67 Rambler V8 heads?

The open plenum 2bbl intake silently shows how to mod a stock closed plenum I6 intake for increased breathing capacity.

While we are compiling info/data base here, Sealed Power VS 527 fit neatly inside AM I6/AM RV8 VS500 valve springs to make a dual valve spring set up with custom cut retainers.

I agree with TJ; this has potential for import business (I've thought about it myself)

(importing Mexican 'Rally AMX' fender flares etc)

-talked to one guy in Mexico about 10 years ago and he seemed to say the junkyards are full of VAM cars in Mexico... is this true?

Edited by amcenthusiast - May/18/2017 at 9:04am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
mitchito View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitchito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 1:29am
The junkyards in Mexico were full of them ten years ago, but not so much now.

Mauricio, are you sure the '82 head had the plastic valve covers? Mine has a metal one. i'm hoping my engine wasn't swapped out for an older one.  
1982 Rambler Lerma
1981 Rambler Lerma coupe
1978 American (Concord base)
1977 Gremlin
1976 Pacer X
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2017 at 7:28am
Could be an aftermarket metal cover, as many plastic ones were replaced. You could look up the metal replacement for the 82 models and see where the bolt holes are and sizes of bolts. IIRC you have to tap the guide holes around the head (plastic cover had a few little studs in lower edge to line up with those holes) to use the metal replacement cover. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic