TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - U-Bolt/Shock Plate to Use with a Ford 8.8 Rear End
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

U-Bolt/Shock Plate to Use with a Ford 8.8 Rear End

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: U-Bolt/Shock Plate to Use with a Ford 8.8 Rear End
    Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 2:50pm
I have asked this question before and got a answer that may or may not be structurally viable.  So I will ask again and see if there are any alternatives.  I have now removed my old AMC 15 rear end out of my 69 Rambler 6 cylinder.  I am getting ready to install a cut down Ford 8.8 Explorer rear end.  It has a 3.25" diameter axle tube.  The old u-bolt/shock plate as it now exists will not work as the diameter of the 8.8 is larger. Therefore, I need to adapt the existing plate or find another that works and has the same kind of shock connection.  I was told previously that I can cut out the middle of the plate by 3/4" and then reinsert and weld in a 1.5" piece and that will work for the 8.8 ubolts. That sounds like a reasonable fix but I am not an experienced welder and do not know if that fix will be structurally sound for the new 8.8 application.

The question I now have to try to make this easy:  is there a similar AMC u-bolt plate from a larger diameter AMC rear end that would be the proper axle tube diameter and have the same kind of shock connection tab so I don't have to recreate the wheel?  Here is a picture of the my old u-bolt plates: 

Here is a great picture of the creative method of cutting, adding and welding a new 1.5" piece in the middle of the existing plates that another Forum member had mention some time ago. Mind you, I am not questioning his creative idea or welding skills.  Just concerned about structural integrity and finding a good welder to carry it out.

Thank you for your input.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
585eric View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 585eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 4:16pm
Ruffstuff has a swap kit .Ubolt,spring perch,plate,shock mounts.
mitchs66 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mitchs66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 9:56pm
Summit, and Speedway have some also.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 11:51pm
i installed a narrowed 7.5" axle from a 1998 Mustang into my '61 American. the brackets for the four-link that are welded to the axle tube have a hole that accepts those generic shock mounts, simply bolts in (i don't think i even had to redrill the existing hole) that lines up perfectly with the AMC lower shock eye.

the spring perch is nothing special, just a flat welded to the tube with a hole in it for the locator pin. might be easier to fabricate one from flat stock than to mess with the old stuff. the AMC spring perch has arcs on each side of the perch to weld to the tube, but you could use simple flat squares of steel at each *end* of the perch (front of tube, rear of tube).

(the 7.5" axle weighs about 50 lbs less than the 8.8", has 1 piece axles and seems vastly stronger than the AMC15.)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 2:03am
matt did you try looking in to a stock lower plate from the explorer or a f150 lower plateGeek
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 7:16am
Yes, thanks Don. Maybe I am making a mountain out of the ol' mole hill. But the Explorer u bolt plate has a different shock mounting tab that would
also need to be modified. On the flip side several other u bolt plates have the correct shock mounting tab but they have u bolt holes with only 3" width. The 8.8 is 3.25" diameter. I will keep looking or bite the bullet and make some kind of shock tab modification.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2016 at 10:52am
If you buy the 3" plate you only need the holes to be 1/8" farther apart.

You can do that with a diegrinder and a little time or have a Machine shop open them up if you don't have the tools.

If you're truly cutting for a fit, some plates already come with a little extra room and you may need very little work to use them.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2016 at 5:12pm
Thanks Wrambler.  I am now leading in your direction.

My last questions are how to mount a shock tab with the standard universal plate.  I guess I could cut off my existing tab and weld it to the aftermarket universal 8.8" plate.

The second question is regarding the spring perches.  My springs on the 69 Rambler are only 2".  The universal plate I believe will accommodate up to a 2 1/2" spring perch.  Does it matter that the plate is "oversized" for my more narrow spring perches?

Lastly, this is a picture of a plate sold by Mancini Racing that already has the shock tab on it (very similar to my original plate).  They are for a 3" axle tube so I would have to modify the holes by 1/4". As Wrambler said and that should not be too hard. But again, not sure if the wider spring perch accommodation causes any problems (2 1/2" versus my 2" spring).  Just not well versed on this stuff to know.

Edited by LakesideRamblin - Sep/15/2016 at 5:19pm
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2016 at 9:33pm
matt the wiggle room is no big deal the center pin should go in the hole in the new plate and hold thing in place
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2016 at 9:33am
I bought these

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/EARLY-PERCH.html

They are meant for spring over axle so I will be cutting them to length and rounding the ends
 I picked these for the added height as I have an extra second leaf and want to lose the lowering block. These will help do that.

Spring plates.

which are designed for 2.5" spring width so I see no reason you can't use another manufacturers plate designed for 2.5" spring width. Your only 1/4" wide on each side. just keep the ubolts straight as you tighten them.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic