TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Possible Opportunity for AMC 6 cyl testers/racers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Possible Opportunity for AMC 6 cyl testers/racers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Opportunity for AMC 6 cyl testers/racers
    Posted: Sep/09/2016 at 3:28pm
A person I met over the net not long ago bought a 1981 VAM Rally AMX (Spirit GT). The car has the original stock 132 net hp  VAM 282 inline six cylinder with a Hurst-linked TRMEC 176-F four speed manual transmission with a Spicer Model 44 axle with a 3.07:1 rear gear ratio.

He lives in the US, even though I haven't asked him where exactly, but he already took the car with him north of the border.

The important issue here is that he told me he plans in the future to remove both the 282 and four speed transmission in favor of a 360 V8 with a five speed transmission. I don't know if he plans to have the rear differential swapped as well.

Would anyone in this board be interested in buying this engine and transmission?

I really wouldn't want this person to just have them discarded as scrap metal, 282s north of the border are not that common and this is one in existence available for anyone interested.

Factory bore: 3.910 inches.

For anyone still investigating AMC history this is a great chance of checking out first hand the Mexican-engineered 282 six based on the AMC 258. One particular aspect in which to check similarities/differences would be comparing this engine with the 4.0 six.

Specially for the engineering minded, you can check differences between the VAM engines and AMC engines. Specially in regards to unique parts such as the head design, intake manifold, pistons, stock cam, etc.

Anyone who builds engines can also have this engine modified for performance applications in different ways.

According to some board friends AutoZone in the US does have in catalog the internal parts of the 282 available for sale.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/12/2016 at 11:44pm
huh, no replies.

well i'm sure if there's actually a motor for sale, to buy, you'll get interest. where in the US? it's a big place, dontcha know :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2016 at 11:01am
I'm with Tom on this, I am trying to complete my list of unfinished projects with a nice 232 complete with intake, exhaust, alternator and 4bbl carburetor for sale based on a low mileage rebuilt 232 and a few other things, but I could be suckered into another project I-6 if I knew how close it was to me and what exactly was available for what price.

Edited by uncljohn - Sep/13/2016 at 11:09am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
bbrooks2 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbrooks2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2016 at 12:51pm
I would think if its in the US someone would buy it, if its close to me ill buy it.
64 CJ3B
66 Classic 770
77 Wagoneer 401/400
88 J20
It's not how many words you use it's how you use your words.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2016 at 6:08pm
I'm interested.  Find out where he is located and what he would take for the engine.  
Rambler Mexicano View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rambler Mexicano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2016 at 1:45pm
Thanks everyone for your interest.

He lives in Houston, TX, but only in part of the year.

I'll let you know when the engine swap happens and what he would be interested in in exchange.
Mauricio Jordán

Cuando no se es una empresa famosa se deben hacer mejores automóviles.
- Vehículos Automotores Mexicanos S. A. de C. V.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic