TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

What's your starting routine?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's your starting routine?
    Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 8:25pm
Pat your head, rub your tummy, tap your toe, turn the key and it starts! 

I guess I've forgotten how to start a carbureted engine having been spoiled with today's electronic engine controls. I had a 1970 Ford LTD back in the 80s and remember it had a specific routine that worked perfect every time. My 6cyl Porsche with out chokes on the carbs requires A LOT of pedal pumping to get it started when cold, and just a small press of the pedal when warm.

So far I haven't been able to dial in the routine on my 327. It's got a Edelbrock with electric choke. So what's your routine, what works best on your machine?

64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
53w View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 53w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 8:48pm
My 401 cold, touch gas to set choke/fast idle once. Turn key and it goes, let it wsrm up for 1-2 min and drive. Warm it likes throtle just open a small bit. Soon as it fires it will idle. It has electric choke.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 9:35pm
When my 360, Edelbrock intake with Edelbrock carb. is cold, I give it 2 stabs of the pedal, releasing slowly on the second push.  It starts immediately.  That's when I drive it ever day or so.
If it's in the winter, below 20, and I haven't driven it in a week or so,  i'll usually give it 3 or 4 pushes on the pedal, releasing the last one slow.  Usually cranks right off again.

When the engine is already warm, winter or summer, I do nothing but turn the key.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2016 at 9:39pm
First off i push it out of the garage...so not to totally piss off my neighbors..then i will give both the secondary accelerators a small squirt(Or it fires on half the engine)then a very little push of the gas fire it up and take a deep breath of all the wasted race fuel....The AMX and the American 1/2 pedal pump back to idle and hit the key...the Concord always took 2 pumps but we will see with the new set up...
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 12:12am
Cold engine:

Press pedal to floor, lift off completely, turn the key. Let the engine run for a few seconds, tap the pedal to drop the idle speed, and then drive normally.

Warm engine:

Hold the pedal about halfway, turn the key, lift off pedal when engine is started. Give it a few light revs and hold the idle speed up slightly until the engine smooths out before you drive.

Pretty simple. Never takes more than a few seconds on the starter. If they take more than that it's because something is wrong.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 3:19am
I still fight these V blocks.

The Ford pickup is equipped with a 2v 390 FE. Just starts up after half a rotation but sputters if I don't feather the throttle. CONSTANTLY fighting the starter if I stop anywhere for more than 2 minutes as it's completely heat soaked.

The Ambassador that I'm trying to buy is outfitted with a 4v 360. I try feathering the throttle to start it up but without any success. The other guy stomps the throttle to the floor and races the starter before disengaging it. This is definitely going to be the first thing I fix.

The Eagle was outfitted with a L6 258 and Carter BBD that I would fight constantly. It would stumble and die after setting the choke. After pulling a non-feedback Carter and overhauling it, my routine was to jump in, key the starter for a 1/4 second and it would fire off without hesitation, STABLE. If it sat for longer than 3 days I would slightly crack the throttle open while engaging the starter.

The rebuild: a 285 L6 is another mythical beast that I'm still trying to figure out. It seems to prefer 1 full rotation before it fires off. Probably in part with the 96+ Chrysler EFI system. I'm starting to think I may have taken a step backwards. The new 4.0 head definitely flows better but the Ford ignition system and carb were definitely easier to tune and seem far more reliable. I'm probably going to try some TBI update on the Ambassador at some point anyway. I miss that instant engagement.
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 6:57am
I like to build up oil pressure before the engine fires, so
I don't give the engine any gas as I crank and crank.

About ten seconds later, we have liftoff!
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 8:10am
One or two quick pumps when cold and she fires right up. It likes to have me hold the idle up for about 30 seconds before driving but otherwise ok. 

When cold I give it a few pumps and then hold it half open. It usually takes about 3-5 seconds of cranking then fires. 

I have an electric choke on a Holley, blocked heat crossovers, no carb spacer. Probably would start better hot if it had some heat isolation for the carb. 

Thanks!

Chris 
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 8:25am
390 c.i. Sum. 8601 cam 10:1 comp. Holley 3310 electric choke. Air-Gap manifold.  Crank for 5 secs. then pedal to floor, release and it starts right up no matter what outside air temp is. I start it every 7-10 days during non driving weather. It slowly goes from 1200 rpm to 1500 then I give it a light tap on the throttle and it drops to 1100 rpm. It's ready to go and drops to idle speed at about 160 Deg. on the temp guage.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
dogbone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogbone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2016 at 8:29am
These are good. I also love the sound of big old american starters when they turn the engine over. Very manly compared to the little wimpy sounding import starters.
64 Cross Country Wagon 770, 79 VW Scirocco, 70 Porsche 914-6, 82 Subaru Brat, 1991 Autozam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic