TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Upcoming Shows and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

2017 AMO Convention, Gettysburg Pa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 41>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 5:04pm
Rt 70 from West Virginia line to New Stanton Pennsylvania, where it combines with the Pa Turnpike is toll free, it is toll free across Ohio too. 70 isn't a bad road in Ohio, gets a little worse in WV, then falls apart about 10-15 miles into Pennsylvania. Construction, horrible road condition, narrow lanes, heavy semi traffic. 70 then combines with the Pa turnpike for about 100 miles, exits at Breezewood. If you hit Breezewood at the wrong time there can be long delays, but shouldn't be bad on a weekday. I haven't traveled 70 east of Breezewood in years so can't comment on the condition. As Kevin said, don't take RT 30 out of Breezewood if you are trailering.

If you are taking RT 70 in Pa to RT 79 south at Washington Pa, to pick up RT 68 at Morgantown WV, Rt 79 isn't bad for that stretch. I haven't traveled RT 68 more than 10 miles east of Morgantown, so can't comment on the condition of the road.

Edited by scott - Apr/28/2017 at 5:14pm
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 6:17pm
Rt. 81 is the dividing line for the mountains. If you are east of that the haul is easy.

In my humble opinion for those coming from points north and west of Columbus Ohio it is not even worth considering doing anything but PA Turnpike which runs all the way into the midwest on toll roads. Rt. 70 in West Virginia and far western MD is a good bit of up and down and not worth the wear and tear on you and equipment. Save the money somewhere else.

Rt 70 68 and 15 are all toll free.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 6:24pm
Thanks, Scott and Kevin. The southern route, I-79 to I-68 to I-70 to route 15 from Charleston WV is what I have in mind. Found lots of videos on YouTube and it looks like a good road, perhaps a little hilly in spots but nothing to worry about. 

Coming from AZ, I'm trying to avoid St. Louis and Louisville, which were both a nightmare last time I went through.

Most trips I take the worst climb is about 20 miles from my house.  I-17 in Arizona climbing up to Flagstaff goes from 3,000 feet to 7,000 in about 15 miles.  The outside temperature was 106 F when I did it on the way to Rockford last summer.

Edited by CamJam - Apr/28/2017 at 6:31pm
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 6:45pm
Cam, RT 79 out of Charleston to 68 is all good road. I'm not sure if there is any construction, I haven't traveled that route this construction season.

The Pa turnpike is expensive, but it is a nice drive for most of it. Quite scenic once you get east of New Stanton. An Easy Pass takes a little bit of the toll sting away. 
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 7:17pm
Cam, if I were you I would consider looking at Rt 81 as a possible alternative. I agree coming north to go east is not in your best interest. 81 is heavy truck traffic but a nice scenic drive up the Shenandoa Valley.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Hills.....that's funny to us folks from the west coast! Good thing my new truck has an exhaust brake!

When will I know if my registration worked or if I DO need to go get a money order?

You will get a confirmation from Harley Smith! 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 7:40pm
My 2 cents on the hills.
I travel from MD ( near Gettysburg) back to WV on a regular basis.

PA turnpike is a better road to travel ( up & downs) but has tolls & there is always construction somewhere. Stay alert and watch for rough road areas.  ( Under "NO" circumstances take Route 30 east of Breezewood- narrow roads and steep hills)
I-79 from Charleston to Morgantown is usually in good shape but it does have a lot of hills and curves.
Route 68 from Morgantown to Hancock, MDis a very good road which has about 4 steep hills but a good road to travel even with a trailer ( We took this route when we traveled to Indiana for the AMO Nationals). Picking up Route 70 at the end of Route 68 in Maryland is mostly flat except for two minor hills with a long approach, so no issues pulling a trailer.
Kevin mentioned route 81, which for the most part is flat ( most of the distance) usually always has some construction and is a very heavily traveled road, especially for truckers. ( I take this road regularly back to Beckley, WV and hate all the traffic)

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 11:44pm
This is my plan right now, things might change still....

I take 74/70 to avoid all the tolls ($$$) on 80, down through Indy and Columbus. Figured I would stay on 70 until 79 and head south to 68. 68 heads east until it connects with 70 again. At Beaver Creek I would head northeast on 66 to 77 to 15 which takes me right into town. 

I'm not overly concerned with hills as the new truck has an exhaust brake for the downhill sections and 925 ft lbs for the uphill sections!

At 3100 miles each way a little extra here or there doesn't make or break a route! LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:10am
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

This is my plan right now, things might change still....

At 3100 miles each way a little extra here or there doesn't make or break a route! LOL

And you called me an old man!  Can't you make up your mind?  
LOLLOLLOL

I suggest you take the scenic route, Straight down the west coast to L.A. then across to Texas ( You can stop & visit Eddie Stakes) and onward to New Orleans ) for some Marti Gras parties, up to Nashville, TN to stop and listen to some good ole Country Music and then onward to Gettysburg.  You can take the Northern Route home.  
Big smile    Wacko
Murphy's Law:

CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2017 at 8:53am
By the time Tony gets back home he'll be ready for a.new truck again.  LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 41>
  Share Topic