TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Repair Mount for Brake Booster? w/pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Repair Mount for Brake Booster? w/pics
    Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 12:02am
I tore apart the brake booster mount for my Javelin to blast and paint. Unfortunately it's in worse shape than I thought. You can see from the pictures that the metal tube insert for the pivot is eaten clean through. There are also nylon inserts that go in there and they're worn out too. (Forgot to get a pic of those).

Is there anywhere that sells part to fix these? 

PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 12:55am
Found the nylon pivot bushings and booster boot at amark. Guessing I'm going to have to fab a new pivot tube myself to replace that rotted one. Doesn't look like it was meant to come apart.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 9:24am
It wasn't, pressed fit IIRC. There is no stress on that tube, it's really just a spacer/bushing holder, it's not going to cause any problems used as is. It's hidden, I'd leave it alone, but if it bothers you you might consider grinding it down and slipping a piece of thin wall tubing over it instead of trying to remove and replace the tube. That will probably be a cut off and drill out operation, then tack weld a new one in place.
Frank Swygert
Teamamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teamamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 10:47am
I have some of these peices. Will dig through and see if I have a good one.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 5:26pm
Thanks, I'd appreciate it. To repair I'll have to cut the bad half off and weld on a new piece of tubing. It's pretty cooked. I could easily crush what's left with a pair of pliers and minimum effort.  
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Thanks, I'd appreciate it. To repair I'll have to cut the bad half off and weld on a new piece of tubing. It's pretty cooked. I could easily crush what's left with a pair of pliers and minimum effort.  

Before I did that I'd glass bead it, do a weld build-up with a MIG or gas torch, and dress it to shape.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:46am
Thought about weld/patch as I've had success with other unusual repairs. Maybe the pic doesn't show well, but for this I'd have to recreate half the tube. Then when done the inside would be crud and need a lot of work. Sliding in a half inch bar of brass or copper might do help, but don't have any handy. New section of pipe would be easier. If there's no alternative it will be a weld up job.
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 7:56am
I guessed that the weld repair would be substantial.  Personally I would use a gas torch as I have better control with one as opposed to a MIG.  As to the interior I was assuming (there's that word again) that since you are using the nylon bushings that the interior finish wouldn't have to be that good.  A cleanup with a die grinder may be sufficient.  But I'm just throwing out suggestions; you have the part in hand and have a better idea of what is, and isn't, feasible.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 8:32am

If you can't get a replacement, media blasting, welding the holes closed, building up the tube while using a brass shaft as a form inside looks a lot simpler than removing what's remaining of the tube and replacing it. Like others said, a die grinder or correct size mill will clean up the interior.
Brass round stock is available on ebay, and not that expensive. Flanged brass bushings are available from Aircraft Spruce and dirt cheap, less than $5 sometimes. They would work as an inner form.

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jul/11/2016 at 8:35am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2016 at 8:58am
Why are you wasting so much time on a $10 part? Even if you have to overpay for one, it's still so much less time and $ to just replace it. They are not that hard to find in good condition. I see them at shows in people's "junk parts" boxes. If you can wait until the weekend I will get you a replacement for $10 + shipping. Even if I have to send you the one from my own car...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic