TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

car lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 9:08am
I'm using one of the Greg Smith (Chinese) 2 post lifts for my Rebel. 

Have had it for ~4 years and used it a lot with no issue.  Have had a weighty '57 Dodge truck on it as well as my '06 Ram and lighter stuff like my wife's Nissan.  It did not come with floor anchors.  I used some from Fastenal.  I'd HIGHLY recommend lift jackstands.  I got some a pair Harbor Freight.  Normally I steer clear of HF on safety stuff but these were literally identical to the NAPA lift jackstands.  Just makes things so much more stable when horsing something big in or out.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

I'm leaning towards a 4 post myself,
 would be nice to do some car stacking, and turn the two car garage into a 3 car garage.
(especially for winter parking)

Someone already mentioned Greg Smith, any comments good or bad about them?

If you have limited overhead clearance, it's good to remember that four-post lifts require a little more ceiling height for stacking cars.  With a four-post lift, you are lifting by the tires, whereas with a two post lift you are lifting by the frame, so the clearance underneath the four-post lift will be reduced by the difference.  With my 8' ceiling, I can fit my Opel GT and my AMX using a 2-post lift, but with a 4-post lift I would be shy by about 2".  Obviously this is only a concern if you have a low ceiling like I do.  I guess I could always put 9" tires and wheels on the Opel. LOL

There are other pros and cons to both.  I like that you can store things other than cars on a four-post (motorcycles come to mind), but things like rebuilding a suspension would be easier on a two-post. 

The previous owner built the garage with 12'9" ceilings in anticipation of a lift (he had a 2 post),
 but I would think about getting a 2 post for the other bay if I use the 4 post as much as I think I will.

Thanks for the input,
 and an Opel GT is a pretty cool car Smile
They were rare when AMC's were still common.

Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Love my four poster for the parking. I have found out that you can do just about anything on the 4 posters. Jack up a single wheel if need be. If you are doing a brake job I find it just as easy to jack up on the floor with jack stands. Again...love the storage of a 4 poster.

I have bought parts, Hyd valve, from Greg Smith, did me good.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie

Thanks for the input Ollie,
 I'm hoping the jack tray, plus one of those tall jack stands nbarr posted should make pulling one wheel at a time off pretty easy.

plus giving the Mrs Jpnjim a place to park over the winter keeps everyone happy LOL
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 4:11pm
As Cam points out, there are many considerations when purchasing a car lift.

When I purchased mine, I wanted it to have the footprint, and be strong enough so that I could do occasional service work on the my Ford Crewcab Diesel pickup truck. It mostly serves to create an additional spot in my garage, allowing my three car garage to house four.

A four post lift was my only real option, given my layout. I did however plan to do a four post lift from the onset, when building my garage.

I purchased a"Made in the USA" Gemini lift through a company in Michigan named Aresco.

As things turned out, the trucks footprint was a little wider than the ramps, so Gemini welded a provision onto the outsides of the ramps, to enable the tires to fit on the ramps completely.

I was very satisfied with the service I received from both Aresco, and Gemini.

Rich C.
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 6:02pm
Storing=4 Point lift

PS even on an 4 Post you can store 2 Cars on an low cieling.
On most 4 Point lifts you can move the tracks to the Middle, and build some surfaces with wodden boards there the rails should be.
Place some heavy rubber blocks on the inner rails there the car should have contact, and you have the same storage height as on a 2 Post lifts.

Working on the Actual car, 2 Posts are the way to go.

I´ll have an chinese made 8000lbs 2 Post lift,~1500$ with longer arms,
and it matches the Javelins frame rails in front full contact but its on the most outter point. I have even marked the Location of the Wheels on the Ground. I had some problems with the dowels, they sucked so i went with
a chemical style rebar anchoring system, and the actual lift works fine.
I´ll have the same 2 Post lift in the companys garage, for smaller crew trucks kinda F250 Weight, and it works since 3 years with out problems.

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
one bad rambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote one bad rambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2017 at 8:36pm
There are pros and cons for both lifts...mostly storage and ease of set 4 post is the way to go...serv work 2 post...i have a 12 inch jack tray and a air jack that will lift by the frame or a pinch weld...4 post is nice when you order the tall/long lift i have 6 1/2 feet under my lift
68 AMX 390 4 Speed,68 American,64 American 2 Door Wagon Altered Wheelbase,78 Concord Build 360,727,8.8
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 2:58am
I have a 2 post lift in a 12ft building best money ever spent bought off best buy out of the west coast 1200$ for the lift 4oo$ for shipping very good quality built just like the bendix lifts I learned you must have 6inch of concrete had to cut out section and pour new area just for lift it cracked after a couple of weeks of use   
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
nbarr View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nbarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 2:41pm

Feedback on Greg Smith- showroom is clean, well lit and spacious.  Sales folks know their stuff.  If you are driving any sort of distance to get there, call first to make sure they have your potential purchase(s) in stock.  They sometimes don't.  On both my lift and rotisserie there were a couple small pieces/parts missing.  One phone call and they FedEx them to you.  Anything big that you purchase will come in a crate and be loaded by a fork truck.  For my rotisserie, they busted open the crate and helped me reload the contents into my truck bed since I had a hardshell cover on it and the crate was too tall.  If you want to save a little more $$ with them, look for them at car shows like Carlisle.  Their show prices for a lift are $100 less than the showroom. 

As info after I used my rotisserie for a year I sold it quickly on craigslist for $300 less than I had in it including transport.  Not a bad rental fee.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/15/2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by nbarr nbarr wrote:

Feedback on Greg Smith- showroom is clean, well lit and spacious.  Sales folks know their stuff.  If you are driving any sort of distance to get there, call first to make sure they have your potential purchase(s) in stock.  They sometimes don't.  On both my lift and rotisserie there were a couple small pieces/parts missing.  One phone call and they FedEx them to you.  Anything big that you purchase will come in a crate and be loaded by a fork truck.  For my rotisserie, they busted open the crate and helped me reload the contents into my truck bed since I had a hardshell cover on it and the crate was too tall.  If you want to save a little more $$ with them, look for them at car shows like Carlisle.  Their show prices for a lift are $100 less than the showroom. 

As info after I used my rotisserie for a year I sold it quickly on craigslist for $300 less than I had in it including transport.  Not a bad rental fee.

Thanks for the feedback Clap

I'm about a 1/2 hour away from one, and have a buddy with a dually flatbed that keeps offering to take the ride with me.

I guess the only thing stopping me now is me 
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/24/2017 at 11:05am
I got a MaxJax due to ceiling height and it's excellent for brake/suspension stuff. I'm 6'4" and sitting on a standard roller stool I can't work under the cars. Sometimes I sit on a creeper, sometimes I put 4x4s under the lift points, and sometimes I lower the car and lie on the floor. I'm considering cutting a roller stool down and see if that works. If you're tall this is a consideration.

Also the MaxJax can be unbolted in minutes and you can have a second location - outside for example - for the cost of a second set of bolts, which is great. The pump, motor and lifters are all on wheels.
LouB View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/02/2021 at 10:58am
I have had my Bendpak 4-post lift for a couple years now.  I agree with some of the other comments- one of the best things I ever bought for the shop.  I got the 4-post because of the ability to store a car.  The big drawback to the 4-post for me was I want to work on card without the tires being on the ramp so I purchased the roller jack option.  My only regret in not buying two, one for front and one for back for those times I want all 4 tires up.  It's a pricy option but well worth it.  It wasn't necessary to bold mine to the floor, in fact I also purchased the mobility option which is a set of wheels that attach to eacs post let allowing the entire lift to be "rolled" around the shop floor.  I have only used it once- it's not super easy rolling it around!.  The one drawback to the 4-post is if you want to lower a body over, let's say the k-member.  The ramps get in the way of such maneuvers.  I'm considering buying the MaxJax for the times I need an asymmetrical 2-post lift.   So for me, I really would like to have both but if one is only possible I would go for the 4-post with jack options for the storing capability.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic