TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stroker 304 Project Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by 72Javelin 72Javelin wrote:

Progress on this?

None this winter ... it's just been too stinkin' cold here in Michigan to work on it.  With temps starting to come back up over the next few weeks, I hope to be back into in by Mid-March.  I'll post up more progress reports after that.

Edited by amundaza - Feb/11/2011 at 3:26pm
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
JavelinRob View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JavelinRob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/11/2011 at 6:57pm
I here yah on the cold , I live in Ontario near Toronto been friggin freezing cold winter hopefully it warms up in early march , I have a ton of bodywork too do , I managed to get most of the mechanical done on my car wearing my insulated coveralls  and a small heater going
1970 sst 421 shivvy
1970 amx 390 4spd go pack
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2012 at 7:45pm

Work & school is finally slowing down to the point where I can get back into the project. Tonight I powdercoated up an Offy Dual Port intake, for starting out on the engine, as well as a set of the AMC Legend valve covers, from www.bulltear.com

I finally found a powder that is "close enough" to AMC EN66 Metallic blue engine paint, used on a variety of AMC engines (like my 304 stroker). While it is close, it is not close enough for a concorse or high-dollar show car ... it just a bit deeper turqois color, with a more gloss, than EN66.

Since this is a TRANSPARENT TEAL, I first put down a basecoat of extreme chrome, cured for 10 minutes, then put down the top coat of teal and cured for another 10 minutes.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
bigdee2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdee2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2012 at 10:00am
My scorpion kit did not come with the guide plates - where did you get yours?  Also, do you remember about how long the push rods needed to be for these rockers?  Both ends - are balls I assume?
dbomb View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2012 at 8:22pm
so how did this hold up long term did you see the 20mpg you were targeting? doyou think the detonation grooves helped . could you run more lead and more total timing without hammering the bearings out how was the driveability was it a screamer or a stump puller . i know this is an old thread but iots got alot of  interesting content.
rebuiling 73 amx need parts
Wesdog View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wesdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2013 at 9:43pm
Very interesting thread! I am interested in building a 304 stroker also. I am also a former FISH carb dealer/installer from the 1980's and still have 4 or 5 old FISH carbs including two 700cfm 2" models. I used to use the 700cfm carb on the 401 in my 76 Cherokee for many years - worked great in a FSJ. Even passed emissions testing with it in Los Angeles. One thing I noticed was you were using an aluminum adapter. Brown switched to a non-metalic adapter for heat isolation so as not to boil the fuel out of the float bowl following engine shutoff. Anyway, I'd like to pick your brain on 304 stroker design in the future, you obviously did your homework. I started a new thread today on the subject before I found this one.

Wes
76' Cherokee S Chief W/T 401/TH400/QT/D60FF/Rancho
77' Cherokee 360/T18A/D20/SoA/Full Cage
75' CJ5 304/T15/D20/Rancho
75' CJ5 401/TF727/D300/Rancho (project)
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2013 at 5:54pm
Hey Wes,
Nice to see you're considering a 304 stroker and that you're a Fish Carb Fan.  I shot you a PM on www.ifsja.org so that you could give me a call over the weekend.
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
Oldskool86wagon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldskool86wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 11:09pm
Hey Greg,

I already have the 1.6 Scorpion rockers, but took your advice from this post and bought the Ford U-channels to keep them aligned. With the U-channels, it raises the rocker just out of reach of the pushrod. I used a pushrod checker with my setup and am getting an 8-7/32" (8.21875) overall length. Does this length sound familiar to the pushrods you used with your setup? and which brand did you go with?

Thanks!

Edited by Oldskool86wagon - Jul/14/2014 at 11:14pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
  Share Topic