TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stroker 304 Project Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2009 at 8:55am

Hey guys,

Just got a response back from Endyn on the Swirl Port heads and the A/F ratios they saw with the 2-valve cylinder heads.  These are the guys that helped Bill Elliot's team, among others.  My questions way below in Purple and their response in Green.

Greg :)

Subject: Re: Question on Swirl-Port and A/F ratios (was : AMC Stroker 304 back from the Dyno)
To: amundaza@yahoo.com
Date: Monday, March 16, 2009, 10:29 AM

We were running BSFC's lower than .34 with race engines some 24 years ago with EGT's in the 900° range (measured .5 x pipe diameter from the port flange).

As long as you're not seeing detonation, or extreme temps on the exhaust side you can continue to run leaner and leaner. Of course, A/F ratio's will "freak out" those with conventional wisdom. As i recall the lowest A/F numbers we saw with 2-valve engines were in the 24-1 range at light throttle and light load conditions. 18-1 was common under load (with good atomization). Be aware that once you go far enough below stoic, the EGT's will begin heading downward.

You might want to include something like an MSD Knock Alert to your dyno instrumentation, so you can "see" detonation that's not audible should it occur.

Larry

----- Original Message -----

To: staff@theoldone.com

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 9:11 AM

Subject: Question on Swirl-Port and A/F ratios (was : AMC Stroker 304 back from the Dyno)

Hi guys,

I happened upon your website a while back via a Car Craft forum posting about your swirl-port heads.  We just finished dynoing my AMC V8, using AMC V8 swirl port heads, along with cylinder head grooves and custom pistons.  You can read about my dyno sessions below, as well as the engine build threads (listed way below) with pics, etc.

The reason I am emailing you is to ask you about the A/F ratios you see on your engines utilizing the Swirl Port technology.  My engine seemed to run normal EGTs, with lean A/F ratios and lower BSFC readings (0.39x for the Carter AFB running lean).  When we were tuning everything, the operators were trying to tune for richer than 14.7:1 A/F, which we could get at idle, but from 3,000 RPM on, everything would show a lean condition, but the EGTs were not abnormal ... I still need to get the AFB (baseline) EGTs for comparison to the FISH carb EGTs.

What kind of A/F ratios are you seeing with your modified swirl-port engines?  Thanks for the feedback.

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :) <><

Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer "TRMN8R2"

330-CID AMC Stroker V8

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2009 at 4:51pm

Here are pics from Saturday's dyno run.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2009 at 4:54pm
Here are videos from Saturday's runs.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:08pm

Baseline pulls with a points distributor 34* advance and a 625-cfm Carter AFB 4-bbl

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:17pm

HEI distributor 34* advance with 625-cfm Carter AFB 4-bbl

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:26pm

HEI distributor 32* advance with 625-cfm Carter AFB 4-bbl

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:30pm

HEI distributor 30* advance with 625-cfm Carter AFB 4-bbl

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/08/2009 at 12:35pm

HEI distributor 30* advance with small 1.65" bore FISH CARB

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
Buzzman72 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buzzman72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2009 at 4:43pm
So...would you call the project a success?
Buzzman72...void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, objects in mirror may be closer than they appear, and alcohol may intensify any side effects.
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Buzzman72 Buzzman72 wrote:

So...would you call the project a success?

I don't know yet, as I don't have the engine in the Jeep yet.  I am just finishing up a 10x12 shed project, so that I can clear the "extra" stuff out of my garage and get back to finishing the Grand Wagoneer.  I plan to get back on it next week, as all I have left to do is shingle the shed and move the stuff this weekend.

Stay tuned, it's been a long summer :)
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic