TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stroker 304 Project Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stroker 304 Project Build
    Posted: Jan/01/2009 at 9:21pm

Hey guys,

Finally staring a thread for the stroker 304 I'm building up for my '89 Grand Wagoneer, with a goal of getting 20-MPG out of the AMC V8 in a 4,500 lb. Jeep, with a decent increase in power over a stock AMC 304/360.  My 304 is being stroked with a 390 crank, aftermarket forged 401 rods and custom Diamond Racing forged pistons.  Net result is approx. 330 cubes and an engine that should put out 300+ HP (not that it matters for a Jeep, but torque should be great!).

I have researched various technologies for improving performance and MPGs and am implementing some of them in this build ... being a guinea pig, so to speak, for those that have shown some interest in them for their AMC builds, but didn't want to jump in head first.

Technologies being employed for engine build:

1) Higher Compression for increased efficiency
2) Cylinder Head Grooves to address detonation with increased compression
3) AMC-specific piston designed for better burn and power
4) Fish Carburetor ... known for an average of 30% more power & 20% more MPGs
5) Swirl Port head design
6) Unique cam design for minimizing overlap ... somewhat resembles a Miller-Cycle engine camshaft design (longer intake duration), which works well with the Fish Carb
7) Roller Rockers
8) Frantz oil filter ... won't make better MPG's or power, but will help keep the engine really clean inside.

Listed below are my build specs and a few of the technologies I am using.  I am also including pictures on this thread, as the build-up proceeds.

**** BUILD SPECS - 330" AMC V8 ****

BLOCK:  1979 AMC 304 V8 (milled for Zero-Deck)

Bore : 3.83” (stock 304 is 3.75”)

CRANK: NOS AMC 390 Forged crank (cross-drilled)

Stroke : 3.574” (stock AMC 401)

RODS: 5.858” long AMC 401 I-beam rods 1.001” bushing for floating pin

PISTONS: Custom forged Diamond Racing pistons (Special design for AMCs)

Result in 9.8:1 compression with 58-cc heads

CAM: Crower Turbomaster Hydraulic flat tappet for AMC V8

Advertised Intake Duration : 278

Advertised Exhaust Duration : 260

Intake Duration @ 0.050” lift : 212

Exhaust Duration @ 0.050” lift : 200

Intake Valve Lift w/1.6 Rocker Ratio : 0.461”

Exhaust Valve Lift w/1.6 Rocker Ratio : 0.426”

Lobe Separation : 114

LIFTERS:  Rhodes anti-pump up hydraulic lifters (variable duration)

Low RPM = 190 PSI Cranking Pressure
  High RPM = 177 PSI cranking pressure

HEADS:  1979 AMC 360 heads. ~58cc Chambers

Heads will incorporate combustion chamber grooves which allow use of 87 octane gas on 10:1 motors … may run E85 at some point

VALVES: Small Block Chevy conversion (w/undercut stems)

INT:  1.94” diameter (stock AMC 304 is 1.787”)

EXH:  1.50” diameter (stock AMC 304 is 1.406”)

ROCKER ARMS: Scorpion 1.6:1 Aluminum roller rockers for AMC V8 (Pedestal-mount setup … modified Ford Pedestal)

HEAD GASKET: ROL XTreme 0.045” compressed thickness 

INTAKE MANIFOLD: Offenhauser 360 Equa-flow intake for AMC V8 with Quadrajet pattern

CARBURETOR:  Brand new 2.0” bore Fish Carburetor (new limited production run) ...  ... very unique & rare carb ... out-performs any other carb in power and MPGs, and can switch between multiple fuels with only minutes of adjustment.  Carb has NO JETS.

EXHAUST: Doug Thorley Tri-Y Headers for Full Size Jeeps.  3.0” single exhaust.  Modified for Lambda O2 sensor port

TRANNY:  TF727 and a Jeep NP208 T-case (2.69 low range)

DIFFS:  3.31:1 Dana 44’s

TIRES:  31x10.5x15 BFG T/A’s

**** PICS ****

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2009 at 9:25pm

Guys,

Here are some pics of what the Fish carburetor looks like.  Don't be fooled by it being a one-barrel.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2009 at 9:30pm
Guys,
Here are pics of the head grooves I'll be doing on the heads.  Grooves are angled towards the exhaust valve side of the spark plug.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2009 at 6:05pm
Hey guys,
We're still waiting on the cylinder heads to be completed, so the post is still in limbo land.

Also, I'm switching to the Holley Street Dominator intake, instead of the Offy 360 intake.

More information and pics to come in about a week.
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2009 at 12:24pm

Hey guys,

Here are more pics of the build.  We should be doing more assembly on Saturday, so more pics to follow.

Edited by amundaza - Jan/13/2009 at 12:26pm
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2009 at 7:59am
Hey guys,
Here are pics of the heads with the 1.94/1.50 SB Chevy valve conversion.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
Da-swede View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-swede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2009 at 8:08am
Very nice project, whats up with the grooves in the heads?
Very strange 1b carb you got, never seen anything like it before.
Humpsters gross me out
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/14/2009 at 8:20am

Thanks.  The groove in the head helps shoot the flame front into the quench area of the piston for a more complete burn.  It allows a 10:1 compression engine to run on 87 octane.  You can read up on it at the following links.

HEAD GROOVES:

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4069&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0 – Racer forum discussion … I have chatted with Randy Naquin ( aka Automotive Breath ) on this forum and he has been modding a lot of heads with the grooves and good success in torque & MPG increases, along with decreased ping.  He gave me feedback on where to place the groove on the AMC heads, since we have the angled spark plugs.

http://somender-singh.com/content/view/119/49/ - Pics of grooved heads (from 2006)

http://somender-singh.com – Guy who stumbled onto it over in India

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss7slCT0Vpw – Youtube video of a guy grooving his 3000GT 4-valve head

Just food for thought, I am also wondering if the groove helps to promote a swirl in the combustion chamber during the compression stroke, as the piston forces air/fuel up into the chamber.

Yes, the Fish carburetor is a very strange beast … goes against a lot of conventional carburetor ideas.  The one pictured is a 1 5/8” bore Fish carb.  I’m also ordering a brand new 2.0” bore Fish carb.  Here are more links on the Fish

FISH CARB:

http://www.fireballroberts.com/Fish_Story.htm - History of Fish

http://www.fireballroberts.com/Fish_Story.htm - History of Fish in Racing

http://www.fireballroberts.com/Fish_Pictures.htm - Pics of Fish Carbs

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/NewFishProduction.htm - The New 2.0” Bore Fish Carb Reproduction ($850 for a carb … 100 being made)

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/OrderFish.pdf - Order form for 2.0” bore Fish Carb

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2009 at 4:45am

Hey guys,

We worked on the build more on Saturday, pics are attached.

I modified the Offy 360 intake for use with the Fish carburetor, cutting the plenum devider down about 1.25" to help better divert the air flow, since the 1-barrel fish is positioned directly over the divider.

We also ran into some 'speed bumps' with parts that don't fit or don't fit without more modifications needed.  My new 8-qt oil pan didn't fit over the front/rear main caps, even with a little 'help' the bolt holes were off by 1/2 hole.  So we're going with an NOS Jeep oil pan that fits fine.

The Milodon head studs are too long on the exhaust side (3 places) and hit the header flanges.  The bolts for the head studs are too large in between the rocker pedestal embosses and a socket won't fit down in there.  It would require taking the heads off and grinding or milling the embosses for clearance.  I opted to order new ARP head BOLTS from Summit Racing.

We also checked the difference between the OEM timing cover from my 360 (circa 1995 manufacture by Mopar) and the new aftermarket Crown cover.  The Crown cover still has the distributor fitment issues, which requires some massaging of the cover to get a distributor to fully seat properly and mesh with the cam gear.  I'll get pics of that up later.  I'm going to run the OEM cover since it is in such good shape ... and my cam/dist. gears will appreciate the better fitment of OEM.

Also, I have pics of the ROL Xtreme 360-401 head gasket vs. the Felpro HiperBlue 304 gasket.  I'm going with the 304, since it better fits the bore diameter.  I'll end up with aboug 10.2:1 compression with it, as opposed to 9.95:1 with the ROL gasket.

I have also decided to NOT USE the Holley Street Dominator.  It's a great intake, but it looks like the smaller runner placement won't work well with the Swirl-Port head design.  So, I am going with the Offy 360 Q-jet intake.

Here are pics.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2009 at 7:49pm
Guys,
Here is a pic showing the comparison between stock head bolts and the ARP high-tensile strength set.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic