TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Stroker 304 Project Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2009 at 7:00pm
That's looking great.  Thanks for sharing all the pics. Can't wait to see video. I've brought home a 304 I'll be working on after I get some other projects done this month. Ypur project's got me thinking on different ways to approach mine.
PlazinJavelin
Marlin Wannabe

amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 11:23am

Hey guys,

Here are picks that Rick sent me, from buttoning up the build on Saturday/Sunday.  These are of the Scorpion pedestal-mount Roller Rockers for the 5/16" bridged rocker heads.  They use FORD U-channels (and shims if needed) to align the rocker arms to the valves, instead of machining to install studs and guide plates. They required longer-than-stock pushrods to work correctly.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 11:27am

Here are pics of the intake installation and GM EOS (Engine Oil Supplement) used to break-in the cam with lot's of Zinc.  Used Shell Rotella T 15W40 for the break-in, mixed with the EOS.  Also, a pic of the aluminum sheet metal covers, where they will need to be clearanced for the pushrods.

Edited by amundaza - Feb/09/2009 at 11:35am
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 11:30am
Here are pics of the dip stick tube install and Rick's handy tool for getting it done correctly.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 11:39am

Here are pics of the Pro Products harmonic balancer, as compared to the OEM 304 AMC balancer.  The Power Pro is designed to be used on a 304, 360, or 390/401 with different bolt-on counter weights.  It can be used NEUTRAL, for an internally balanced engine like mine, by leaving the weights off.

The balancer would not fully seat on the 390 crank, due to the chamfer needing to be a bit bigger.  Rick had to massage it a bit.  See pics.

Edited by amundaza - Feb/09/2009 at 11:54am
Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2009 at 11:40am
And finally ... here it is on the break-in stand!  Clap

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 9:29pm

Hey guys,

We did some more work today, before heading down to Maumee, OH for the www.IFSJA.org meet-n-greet at Zach's (Z&M Jeeps).

I had to cut away a little bit of the valve cover flange to clear the push rods, since the lip goes inboard on the fabbed aluminum covers.

We also started up the engine again on the starting stand, with the Carter AFB 625 4-bbl ... got some video of that I'll upload.

Also got a Fish carb installed (1 of 3).  The 1st one was the 1.650" bore Fish, which had float bowl problems and was shooting fuel out of the bowl vent tub.  So, we bolted up the 1.750" bore Fish and it was doing the same thing, even with really low fuel pressure (regulated from 0.50" - 4.00 PSI ... Fishes run best on low fuel pressure).

So, we pulled the float bowl off the 1.650" bore carb (first one shooting gas) and the float was crushed (see pic).   We tested the 1.750" by blowing air through it and couldn't get the needle to seat and stop air flow ... BUT ... the 1.850" bore fish float worked great, so we swapped that bowl on to the 1.650" bore carb and got it started up.

The 1.650" bore Fish was the carb that made 18 MPG on a Ford 390 in a F350 4x4 with a 4-speed and 3.73 gears.  Will be interesting to see what it does on the 330" stroker.  We set the RPMs at 2,000 and tested the Fish for lean/rich and it was running a bit rich ... remember, it was tuned for 60-CID more, so it will need to be fine-tuned a bit when we get it on the dyno.

Here are pics from today's work ... video to follow in separate posts.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 9:41pm

Here is the 330" stroker on the starting stand, with a Carter AFB 625-cfm 4-bbl.  This will link over to my Photobucket Video page. 

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2009 at 9:47pm

Here is the 330" stroker on the starting stand, with the 1.650" bore FISH CARBURETOR.  This will link over to my Photobucket Video page.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
amundaza View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amundaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/03/2009 at 7:03pm

Hey guys,

Been a bit of a lull in the project while we await the dyno session in about 1.5 weeks.  Yesterday I finally picked up my headers from getting ceramic-coated ... and they look AWESOME!  I had both my set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers & pipes, as well as the Edelbrock TES headers & pipes ceramic-coated in a 2000-degree cast iron ceramic.  The guy that did them for me, is out of Oxford, Michigan and is friends with a couple of the Great Lakes Classic AMC Club (detroit area) members.  Chuck did an awesome job ... I was his guinea pig and it was well worth the wait to get them done.  Check out the pic I took today.

Sincerely,

Greg Taylor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic