TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rebuild Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKaldenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuild Recommendations
    Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 5:49pm
Greetings all...
Searched the forum topics for the following, but need better guidance.  

1.  Anyone recommend where I can purchase new interior screws for trim, plastics, etc for 71-74 Javelins?  What size, any idea how many are needed, or a vendor who'd know???  I want to have the screws all be the same, be snug (some holes are obviously bigger than others).

2.  What is the best way to rebuild a door?  Good schematics - I have the manual on DVD but the pics aren't the greatest.

3. Want to rewire the car.  Plus, I NEED air conditioning, heat, vent etc.

4.  Anyone in the state of Iowa who has done a rebuild?  And who would be willing to be hired or allow me to work alongside to do this project?

Again, sorry for potentially cross posting or restarting a thread.  Thanks for the help folks!!!

Mike
Winterset, Iowa
71 Javelin SST/304 - sold
74 Javelin AMX/401 - sold
71 Javelin SST/360 - current
Next? 69 AMX/390

Restoring the current Jav (1st resto)
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 5:55pm
Billd is a mod and restorer... he currently has a 73 Javelin that he is slowly partially restoring, as it will be a restomod.

Screws are hard to find as interior screws are of small diameter head.

Plastics are hard to find in excellent condition.

Air conditioning varies as 74 has a diff setup, and is harder to find parts for. 73 seems easiest, as 71 and 72 have hard to find heater valves.

You can obtain vents and such, just be prepared to pay some money for hard to find parts required for air and heating, and door panels if AMX, or PC interiors.

PS, you can't clump any year Javelin when restoring, as there are hidden and not so hidden variances. I suggest being more specific as to year and model. 71 was the last year for base model, 72 brought in a new center pod design, and PC option, 73 and 74 look the same but are varied by bumper guard, seat belts, and PC was stopped in production for 74.

Edited by 304-dude - Jun/26/2016 at 6:07pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by MikeKaldenberg MikeKaldenberg wrote:

Greetings all...
Searched the forum topics for the following, but need better guidance.  

1.  Anyone recommend where I can purchase new interior screws for trim, plastics, etc for 71-74 Javelins?  What size, any idea how many are needed, or a vendor who'd know???  I want to have the screws all be the same, be snug (some holes are obviously bigger than others).

Some of the interior screws & fasteners are available from the AMC vendors. I have also used 
http://www.rtspecialties.net/
Most of the interior screws from the different auto manufactures are the same. As already stated the screws are a small oval head countersunk or pan head countersunk with various lengths. 

2.  What is the best way to rebuild a door?  Good schematics - I have the manual on DVD but the pics aren't the greatest.
     When you say rebuild, what part of rebuild. The window crank mechanism, the glass runners, hardware, rollers, etc..  Please specify what it is you want to rebuild. Many parts for movement of the glass are available. Rebuilding of the crank mechanisms can be completed but take specialized hardware and/or tools. Or do you simply mean reassembly?
If you haven't already, purchase a TSM. It is well worth the investment.

3. Want to rewire the car.  Plus, I NEED air conditioning, heat, vent etc.
    The AMC vendors sell factory style wire harnesses or if you can purchase a do-it-yourself kits such as Painless wiring and created your own wire harness from scratch. Most street rodders build wire harnesses from scratch using the different available kits on the market.

4.  Anyone in the state of Iowa who has done a rebuild?  And who would be willing to be hired or allow me to work alongside to do this project?

Again, sorry for potentially cross posting or restarting a thread.  Thanks for the help folks!!!

Mike
Winterset, Iowa
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

MikeKaldenberg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKaldenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 8:24pm
304-dude...

Thx for the info.  I will definitely look Billd up!

I ordered a screw-set thru eBay.  Says they will fit my 1971 AMC.  Maybe they will and maybe they won't.  I am mostly concerned about making sure they snug up nice and tight.  Perhaps will need slightly bigger diameter screws than what are currently on the car.  Just want them all to match.

Most of my plastic is in fair to good condition.  I am willing to pay for higher quality pieces.

The previous owner of my Javelin pulled the A/C because it kept blowing fuses.  I am NOT above altering/updating the fuse panel to accomodate.  Really want to rewire it so I know what goes where and what it does.

I do know there are some variances between each of the 4 years (AMC and AMX) for the Javelin, but I also know American Motors provisioned cockpits and bodies for cross year/model accouterments. 

My wife bought me this for Christmas in 2015, and within a month, I destroyed the driver door (long story best for another post).  She is thinking I do not like the car and that she spent a lot of money for a bad reason.....NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH.  I am just not sure how to go about resto-modding the car.  I've had 2 in the past (AMC and AMX) and want to build this one sort of like a Franken-Car.

Mike
Next? 69 AMX/390

MikeKaldenberg View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeKaldenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2016 at 8:31pm
The short version of my 1971 driver door story is, I started the car whilst it was in reverse and it shot backward and creased the $hit out of my door and broke the upper hinge.  I have since replaced it with a donor from 1973.  Not sure best way to tune it to open and close properly, what to grease and what goes where.  Don't have a lot of work area.  Need to sound dampen the entire car and prep it to get painted.  I could go on and on.  Now I know why these things go for $25K and up following a resto/mod.

Mike
Next? 69 AMX/390

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic