TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T10 Identification Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2017 at 10:07pm
Not sure on the date codes, eddie stakes has some info on breaking down the numbers on his site. But it is the 2.23 close ratio trans which will bolt up to the 401.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 12:25am
if you look for parts for the t10 you find a t10 is a t10 gm & ford use the same components it comes down to gear ratio and case so a answer to the question is it don't matter what year but I will tell you this amc went to the close ratio just for the big torq engines if you have driven both tran you would know what I mean I have both trans and enjoy the wide ratio better in a drag race on the close ratio first gear is so close to second I did not use it
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 8:10am
I don't like the tall first gear on the close ratio. I have a winding,steep, and long driveway and I pretty much have to go all the way down with the clutch pushed in and coming up is not for the faint at heart - much faster than I'd like just to keep from stalling out. Even around town cruising the tall first gear is a PITA. Now once it gets going the close ratio is nice.

My main interest in dating the transmission right now is to know what throw out bearing / retainer to get for it? I did some searching last night on the different codes and I'm thinking the "F 24, 69" is the date code but I found conflicting info on deciphering it. Seems the "F" indicates June not February. 

Edited by Bandana - Sep/14/2017 at 8:14am
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

...My main interest in dating the transmission right now is to know what throw out bearing / retainer to get for it? I did some searching last night on the different codes and I'm thinking the "F 24, 69" is the date code but I found conflicting info on deciphering it. Seems the "F" indicates June not February. 

Look at this topic http://theamcforum.com/forum/t10-bearing-retainer_topic57108.html .  1970 390amx measured both of them.  As to the date code, it is A, B, C, ...(no I) corresponding to January, February, March, ...
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 10:58am
Not to be a Debbie Downer here but are you saying you need to replace the Front bearing retainer?  If so, either will fit the trans.  Please consider this:

1. in the last 48 years of this transmissions existence the front bearing retainer may have been changed, going by the case date will only tell you what is supposed to be there, not necessarily what you have.

2. The pre 1970 model year cars had a larger bearing retainer, which in turn uses a larger bore throw out bearing, which in turn changes the ball stud height in the bell housing.

The heavier/larger diameter bearing retainer is the most desirable to use, I have repaired several customer AMX/Javelins with broken "late" or small diameter bearing retainers.  American  Parts Depot sells new ones, with the larger diameter.....the only way to go.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 11:09am
Thanks for the link 6Pakbee. I see the OD/ID measurements there for the different years. If the retainer IDs are the same I'm assuming the input shafts are all the same diameter for the different years? If this is true I could simply buy a large diameter retainer (for $30 its kind of a no brainer at that point) and bearing to have the upgrade?
At this point of course I do not know what I have going on inside. I'll have to pull the transmission to see.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 11:18am
On all open driveshaft AMC's the front case is the exact same (except date code), the input shaft that extends past the front bearing retainer, mid plate and tail shaft housings are all identical also.  Internals are a different story, but you can swap one for another, if you keep the proper front bearing retainer with the car it came from.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 12:24pm
A bit confused - so let me ask.. If my transmission is in fact from 1969 and has the older style large OD  cast retainer with corresponding larger ID bearing, can I swap to a smaller diameter retainer and bearing with no problems?

Reason I'm asking is that if in fact it has the old style cast retainer I think I may go to a new steel retainer and corresponding bearing just to get away from the cast (or if it turns out to be broke or damaged). I saw in the thread link that 6pakbee posted that the new steel retainers could be bought for around $30...

6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 3:16pm
I wouldn't go with the smaller one.  Just not reliable enough long term IMHO.  Heed what 401matcoupe said about the stud height for the throwout bearing pivot.  Ignoring this will lead to big time trouble with clutch action.  As to the retainers, get hold of 70rebelgeezer, he makes a billet early style that is pure poetry in steel.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
Sonic Silver View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic Silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

A bit confused - so let me ask.. If my transmission is in fact from 1969 and has the older style large OD  cast retainer with corresponding larger ID bearing, can I swap to a smaller diameter retainer and bearing with no problems?

Reason I'm asking is that if in fact it has the old style cast retainer I think I may go to a new steel retainer and corresponding bearing just to get away from the cast (or if it turns out to be broke or damaged). I saw in the thread link that 6pakbee posted that the new steel retainers could be bought for around $30...

I have a smaller retainer/throwout on one car, and a larger retrofitted to the other many years ago. I have driven both cars pretty hard for 25 and 47 years respectively. I can't tell any difference in either in any way.

I know that the Performance American Style book said to change to the bigger setup for durability, so I did about 30 years ago on one car. The other car has been hammered on for 25 years with the smaller setup with no problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic