TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970's V-8 AMC Indy Cars

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970's V-8 AMC Indy Cars
    Posted: May/28/2016 at 4:25pm
I also found some photos from the 1970's AMC Indy car effort. First is a photo of Indy engines including an AMC V-8.

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2016 at 5:11pm
If you notice, the AMC engine was the tallest. Donohue mentioned it in his book, and made comment about the center of gravity not working well with the engine.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 5:23pm
Ok, I'm going to add some more photos to this thread on the late 1970's AMC Indy car. This photo been on the forum before. One of the AMc factory workers took it back in the day. Dave Furlin maybe.But the AMC Indy car was displayed at the Kenosha factory some time in 1979. LRDaum

LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 5:34pm
This photo is out of the 1979 Indy 500 Year Book The car qualified 11th which for car number 11 seems appropriate, middle of the 4th row for the 1979 race. The last year the car ran I know it went out not far into the race with an engine problem, with the aluminum block. Among other problems the blocks turned out to be porous I under stand and the Indy cars of this era used the block as stressed member of the chassis. Renault had the similar problem with they tried to use there stock block V-6 in Formula 1.The AMC Indy car qualified at 192.256 MPH and I believe set a closed course record at that time for a stock block car. I'm not sure what speed it was , but it was over 200 MPH on a oval track in Texas I believe. LRDaum

LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2016 at 5:50pm

The above photos have never been published before. I have a few others. To make a long story short I went over to the Indy 500 Track in 1979 for carburetor day, with a couple friends. The Friday before the race, the last day to test for the race. My good friend Jim Harris had a camera with and managed to get into the pit area, where spectators are not suppose to go. The garage stall were the team was using was left unattended for a bit and Jim went in and took pictures of the AMC aluminum V-8 engine. One other photo was used of the engine in Eddie Marquez's Amazing AMC Muscle book on a section on the AMC Indy car. Jim Harris got me copies of all the photos of day he took and they are still in my files. I've got a few more including the Semi Truck they used to haul the AMC Indy car with but enough for today unless some one is really interested. LRDaum
LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 11:51am
I'm going to add a couple more AMC Indy car photos to the thread done by AMC as staged promo photos. LRDaum

Warner Hodgen who ran the AMC engine car program.He also the answer to the question " Did racing make you a millionaire. Yes, I use to be a multimillionaire. Warner had an oil company in Texas  and spent a lot of money on racing. Even sponsoring a NASCAR race in Texas one year and had Bobby Allison driving a Ford NASCAR racer for him for a while. A down turn in the oil industry lead to bankruptcy and he later died. LRD
LRDaum
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 11:55am

A factory picture of Warner Hodges , the AMC Indy car and the semi truck they used to haul the car. Better then any thing else I've got. LRDaum
LRDaum
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 12:48pm
Thanks for sharing the photos Mark & Larry, a few I've never seen before. I've always been interested in the AM INDY effort but there just isn't a lot of info out there on it. The cars look fantastic!
AMO Newsletter Editor
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2016 at 5:04pm
a for sure THANK you for sharing    I seen a few before but not all of these   thank you again
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
mramc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mramc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2016 at 12:51pm
Well I felt I owned Mark some pay back , as I did copy every one of his photos for my files. LRDaum
LRDaum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic