TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1969 Rambler Indy Car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2017 at 9:17pm
Your photos appear as a photobucket logo about 3rd party hosting.

Steve
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2017 at 1:05am
Just tried the photo upload feature and it worked. This is the 1968 version of the Navarro Indy car. 
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2018 at 11:22pm
I found some more photos of the car from 1970-1972. I need some info on what lap times and speeds the car did each year. 
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 9:50pm
Due to photobucket changing it's policies I'm reposting the pictures.
These are the 1967 car.

Edited by MD Racer - Jan/10/2020 at 10:07pm
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 10:09pm
These are from 1968

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 10:14pm
1969 car

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 10:16pm
1970 car

Edited by MD Racer - Jan/10/2020 at 10:18pm
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 10:22pm
1971 car

1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
MD Racer View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MD Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2020 at 10:25pm
1972 car

You can see in the last picture the twin turbos on the engine. They also modified the cowling over the driver. Also the addition of a rear wing with larger front winglets on the nose.

Edited by MD Racer - Jan/10/2020 at 10:27pm
1971 Javelin
1971 Javelin SST
1971 Javelin AMX
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2020 at 12:10am
Barney Navarro auctioned off his shop contents in 2005, here in Los Angeles. Someone posted about the auction in the old AMC-LIST. I popped in to see the 750 hp twin turbo motor. It sold for a bunch of money.

Most people were there for allt he flathead Ford stuff, and his machine tools. I hung around for a while for the heck of it. Then there was this shelf with... rambler parts? WTF. I wasn't prepared to be there, and never saw any list beforehand.

Anyway I bid $500 and bought this whole shelf of random rambler parts. Just pieces and stuff, no whole engine. One other guy bid on another lot of rambler stuff, he had relatively deep pockets. A third guy bought the transaxle. 

In my lot were some quick-change gear sets that I sold on the spot to the guy who bought the axle, for $200. 

When I got it home and inventoried it -- link below -- and talked to two people who worked for Barney I figured out:

* what I had was pieces of two 'test mule' engines. There were two versions of the rambler indy motor: the 550 hp single turbo, Dellorto carb'ed version, and a twin turbo, 750 hp fuel injected version. That's the one that sold for $20K or whatever it was.

* I got pieces of the carb'd engine. Two heads, one without cast-in part numbers, instead, "R&D". Photos below. A cast stainless steel turbo manifold. a cam, and a lot of random parts. One 199ci crank.

Three pages there.

Years later this guy contacted me, he ran a turbo shop up in washington state. After many conversations I sold him the pile of stuff for a nominal fee; he was re-creating car #50. He got the block, both heads, cam, other stuff. 

I tried to stay in touch... he never responded... I searched out his shop online, it had been there, then it was gone. I think he died or something. So that stuff seems totally lost, disappeared off the planet. 

I wish I had that R&D head. A big regret. The rest of the stuff was either too exotic or too generic to be worth much. The cast intake would be a nice wall hanger...

Technology-wise, Barney was a freakin' genius. But keep in mind, he had a slide rule, no computers. It was a 500 mile hand grenade. No intercooler, mechanical injection. I had some of the Hilborn parts. Fuel pump was aircraft surplus, mounted on the end of the camshaft.

The head was beautiful. The block was a regular '64 block, worked over. It had been O-ringed, as was the head, so running that on the street would have not been practical for various reasons partially covered in the pages above.

* the 550 hp motor used a stock block. THe mods, documented above, were: bored out main oil gallery O-ringing, blocked off water pump (external pump), dry-sump oil,  the R&D head, stock crank.

* the 750 hp motor block had been modified for four bolt mains, so I was told by Barney's engineer. He said there was another one "in a closet here somewhere" probably lost by now.

* That same engineer told me when Barney was contracted by the customer to build #50, Barney just checked out current production inline engines, and determined thatr the new AMC inline size was the strongest (stiffest) engine available. 

* The particular motor I had -- block, head(s), crank, dry sump pan -- had been run at Buttonwillow, and ran dry of oil, scoring the crank. This guy said he'd never seen Barney so mad at himself for such a dumb mistake -- he made a right turn on an engine designed for left turns only, ran the crank dry. They pulled the engine tore it down, set it on the shelf... and that's what I had bought. (It came with a huge box of .010" over bearings. It was deemed repairable. I have the crank and bearings, still.)

All in all none of the stuff I got was of particular historic interest, other than that one R&D head. Check out the web pages. It's interesting to note that the little AMC six is suck a brick sh*thouse, a heck of a basis for building a real endurance motor. I've always wanted to do that, and may still.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic