TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1970 AMX 390 4 speed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1970 AMX 390 4 speed
    Posted: May/20/2016 at 11:59pm
   I bought this 1970 AMX a few weeks ago locally, and it's great to have an AMC in the stable again after being away from the hobby for over 11 years now. It is a 62k mile 390, 4 speed, go package car that has been sitting for the last few years and needs to get back to a solid driver condition. It's a nice rust free car, and has most all of the correct parts in place, but just needs some TLC. This will be more several small projects, rather than a complete restoration, but I will try and document the updates as they happen.
  Here are a few pictures of the car when purchased.

Edited by n2ojoe - May/21/2016 at 12:24am
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 12:23am
  The interior was mostly removed when I purchased the car, other then the dash and a sagging headliner, but does feature an NOS steering wheel. I started by removing and repairing the headliner and repairing a few broken plastic trim parts. The car came with new carpet and legendary seat covers, both un-installed. the seats were completely disassembled with broken springs, and I found Chevelle springs from NPD that were close enough to bend and fit the frames. The original seat foams were not in bad shape, just a bit "flat". I added 1" thick foam to the back sides to restore some support and reassembled the seats. The results are great!
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 3:37am
Nice!
Ram Air Rick View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ram Air Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2016 at 6:55am
Welcome aboard Joe !

Nice car and nice work!!!

Looking forward to updates...

Rich C.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2016 at 8:25pm
Nice car, Joe! Good to know about the Chevelle springs. I was grasping at straws when looking for springs to repair the seats in my '69. I eventually found some that worked, but they were less than ideal.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2016 at 10:32pm
Thanks guys! I made a little more progress this weekend towards getting the car back on the road.
After a new battery and getting some fuel in the empty tank, I was able to go for a quick spin around the block. The Autolite 4300 carb had a real bad stumble, and further inspection revealed little movement of the accelerator pump. It had been previously restored years ago by Pony Carbs, but has sat pretty much since then. I removed and disassembled the carb to find bad pitting/porosity in the accelerator pump well walls, which bound up and damaged the diaphragm.

Luckily, a very good friend is pretty handy and was able to help me out (Thanks Kevin!!). He cleaned up the bore in the 4300 main body on the Bridgeport and then turned a brass sleeve on his lathe.

The parts were machined with a .001" press fit, so a quick shot of nitrous oxide was used to freeze the sleeve and tap it into place Wink

After I gave the sleeve a final hone and polish, the repair was perfect. I reassembled the carb with a new accelerator pump diaphragm, and now the performance is great!

The next project will be to chase down the charging system problem. It has an ALT light and no output, so any help will be appreciated!
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 8:52am
Looks like a great car. How about posting photos of the engine compartment?

larue390@comcast.net
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 9:37am
Yes, nice car, and good to see you back involved with AMC products. Andy
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2016 at 12:29pm
Here is the engine compartment, it is the weakest point of the car but also the thing I am most excited about getting to. It's pretty complete, but has free flow manifolds installed and the incorrect valve covers, but the original parts were included with the purchase. I'm going to get the car running/driving for the summer and clean things up in general, but over next winter I will get the engine pulled and detail the bay better, and of course go through the engine.

n2ojoe View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote n2ojoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 9:46am
I guess I have been really slacking on the updates, so I better get this up to speed! Smile

After the carb rebuild, I was able to put a few miles on the car and work out the suspension with an alignment and replacing a few components. The paint was in pretty good condition, but had a light layer of red overspray on everything. Some time spent with a few stages of compound and chrome polish got things cleaned up nicely! The wheels got a scuff and paint but turned out a little more "bright" than I had hoped.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic