TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1976 401 specs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1976 401 specs
    Posted: May/08/2016 at 11:14am
 Anyone know the  71 thru 76 401 specs.
 76 was probably detuned from 71, what would have to be done to bring it back to life?
Thanks

69 "GO PACK AMX"
73 Javelin 43,000 mile,origanl SURVIVOR
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 11:36am
There really was not much de-tuning, the biggest change was in the rating system as in 71 they used a gross hp rating for 330, and 72 and up was SAE J607 or as installed net. That 330 hp became 255 in 72 for a mostly the same engine. There was a compression drop, but that would not amount to much real power difference, maybe about 10 of those hp.

The 502 heads (60 cc) the 76 engine has would be another very small compression drop, insignificant to power.

A bigger change was the intake manifold where in 73 they changed to a small port EGR manifold, and about 75 they went to that wacky 4350 motorcraft carb with the mating manifold. That accounted for the 20 hp drop to 235.

The 401's used the bigger AMC cam right through, so there is no difference there.

Very little is needed to bring it to life - 401's are great. A decent intake and carb would really help, which one would depend on your application. Headers are worth 20 hp and 30 ft-lbs of torque, and decent exhaust helps as well. If you want, again depending on the application, another cam will help. Those changes will easily get you over 400 hp at the engine, for a mild setup, more if you want.
AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 11:58am
So a better aftermarket intake, carb, headers, and cam is all it needs? Thanks, any recomendations for a street machine?
69 "GO PACK AMX"
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 12:40pm
What do you mean by street machine? What gears, weight, and transmission? Highway driving or not? What exactly are you going to do with the car; cruise around a bit and have it feel good when you roll into it, or do you have a specific performance goal?
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 6:09pm
As Ken mentioned. What are you looking for precisely? For me, the fun street engine is just getting started when it begins topping the 500HP mark while someone else may get their jollies with 350-400HP. Want something that will roast the tires and be fun or something that will scare the stinky brown material out of anyone crazy enough to sit in the right seat? You could take the stock 401, freshen up the bottom with bearings, hone the bore and replace the rings, put a mid range cam that makes power in the 2000-5000 RPM range, run an air gap or performer intake with some roller tip summit rockers and hydraulic lifters, shave the heads .010-.020, deck the block to square it up, shoot for about 10-10.5 static compression topped off with a nice 750 carb and headers and easily be making a touch over 400HP. Since the 401 uses forged crank and rods stock you could easily add a 250 shot of NOS for some track day fun. If money is not object and race fuel is what you want to run then you could of course up the game even further. Anything from supercharger to extremely large NOS multi-stage setup. Mind numbing frame bending power is possible but cost becomes the biggest issue. Set your budget and then get the biggest bang for the buck. If you are on a tight budget I would do a cost effective build and then just bolt on the bottle throttle. The 401 could easily make 600+ HP on the stock parts with a forged piston and 250 shot NOS plate.
AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 6:37pm
One H.P. pci is good enough if I can run it on pump gas. Don't really want to hit the strip, just show Ford's, Chevy's AMC's has some punch, nothing I can't run on the street with 91 octane.
69 "GO PACK AMX"
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 6:57pm
That is an easy thing to accomplish with the 401 and within reasonable budget.

Aluminum intake Edelbrock (performer, torker or air gap)
good valve job and a little heavier spring ratio
I would also smooth the castings on the stock heads which is easy to do
wiseco flat top pistons
just hone the block if you can get away with it
new bearings
HEI or MSD ignition
cam with power band of 2000-5500 RPM
750 carb or run the FiTech EFI system
1-5/8" or 1-3/4" long tube headers
x or h pipe
2.5" dual exhaust with decent flowing mufflers

AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 8:20pm
Thanks guys, I've found a 401 and was debating on getting it. Don't know yet which I will put it in, but thought I would get it just as a backup motor. I want to build it to have more H.p. than the Stock 390 in my AMX in case it blows someday.
69 "GO PACK AMX"
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/08/2016 at 8:40pm
If the 401 is something that you are looking at getting then I would certainly check to ensure the bore is still standard. That way if you need to bore it you can.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic