TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Rust, Rust & More Rust

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 1:48pm
 OUCH ! I hope you didn't spend much money for that car ! Replace quarter panels that i saw a nos one for like $1700.00 times two=3400.00 plus a least $1000.00 to install =$4400.00 and on and on. I had tried to sell a couple rust free cars on here for $5000.00-$6000.00 on here and got ran off the forum because some thought it was to much money.lol. You will be in that car $10000.00 in metal work and you can't paint behind were you welds and it will rust out again. I have decided to keep my amxs so i won't have to do what your willing to do when i get there. Good luck ! Dog.
69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 2:22pm
Forgot to say, nice project.  Compared to the rotted out junk I see around here, this one looks pretty good.

Do you have any Dustless Blaster in your area?  Crushed glass mixed with water (to prevent warping), is the way to go on the exterior quarter and roof.  The guys around here do exceptional work and charge $75 per hour and come to your house.  Car is blasted right in your driveway.

IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by javjav javjav wrote:

Forgot to say, nice project.  Compared to the rotted out junk I see around here, this one looks pretty good.

Do you have any Dustless Blaster in your area?  Crushed glass mixed with water (to prevent warping), is the way to go on the exterior quarter and roof.  The guys around here do exceptional work and charge $75 per hour and come to your house.  Car is blasted right in your driveway.

Dave..  Thanks for the optimism. I appreciate it very much. You are much like me. There are a couple people on this forum that are pessimists and I try to avoid them.

I don't believe that we have a Dustless Blaster here in our small area. I wished we did. I will see if someone from maybe Boise is going to travel here. Tks for the tip.

The red 68 AMX that "Ohio AMX" did and posted on the forum (he did a nice job) was in much worse shape than this one is as far as rust. I enjoyed reading all of the postings that he did about his restoration.

The rust seen is mainly surface rust because someone stripped some areas to bare metal and left them in the elements. It is coming off with a little work and not leaving any pitting. Once I got the qtr sanded today it does not look as bad as I thought. I will get by with a lower patch panel on it.
Luckily I can do the work myself. The hood has no rust underneath. It is just the outside surface that requires work but it is a challenge.

1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1957 Chev BelAir 2 dr HT 327 Selling
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

bigbadgreen View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbadgreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 2:57pm
Moe..first off. Great Project.Second thanks for posting for everyone.3rd and most important..Don't let people get under your skin! You know what you have to deal with, and are off to a great start.Keep up the Progress.👍👍👍
IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by bigbadgreen bigbadgreen wrote:

Moe..first off. Great Project.Second thanks for posting for everyone.3rd and most important..Don't let people get under your skin! You know what you have to deal with, and are off to a great start.Keep up the Progress.👍👍👍

Thanks bigbadgreen! It will be a fun but challenging project.
 I have pretty thick skin and luckily have been on the forum long enough to know who the people are with the best intentions and who are out for just themselves.  There are tons of really great people here.

Edited by IdahoSpud - Feb/19/2016 at 8:09pm
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

IdahoSpud View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IdahoSpud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 8:28pm
Got the AMX sanded with 80 grit (except the doors) & removed the rear bumper. I soaked rags with the solution of vinegar and water. I laid the soaked rags on the surface rust area for the night. I worked down the passenger quarter panel with the orbital sander. Once this soaks and eliminates the surface rust I will wash well a couple times with soap and water to neutralize the vinegar.
 That passenger quarter that I sanded  is in really good shape.

Edited by IdahoSpud - Feb/19/2016 at 8:32pm
1966 Rambler Rogue
1980 Avanti 383 Stroker
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x4

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 9:25pm
Looks pretty good to me...
javjav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote javjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 10:02pm
You have a real nice quarter there.     If you have a spot or two of deep rust that is not coming out, try rusticide (pink phosphoric acid).  There are other similar products at your local body supply house or Metal Ready from Eastwood.  You just need to neutralize it with water and baking soda. 

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 10:06pm
Cool project!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2016 at 11:12pm
Its good to see that there are people out there that can see what a car can look like not just what it does look like. Kind of ugly right now but looks more solid than other cars I have seen fixed, good luck.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic