TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

64 American 440 H project ( pics )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 64 American 440 H project ( pics )
    Posted: Dec/08/2008 at 3:28pm
And so it begins,this is the winter project car,and some shots of the parts car I went to MO.
 to get. American ramblers are hard to find in Colorado.not even in the salvage yards. look up "The Rambler Ranch " in Colo. 
I think the factory color was a tan cream color,old motor out 196.5 blown
head gasket,bent push rods,needed valve job. good low end anyone want it
lot of work ahead just in the inside

thats me in the back leaning on the new engine hoist
it worked real good..

this is the parts car I went to MO. to get $500.00 with a running 232 ci and auto
lots of good parts,but was realy rusted out.qtrs,floor,trunk,firewall,held together with bondo and primer.
a look inside
got it running before pulling into the garage
into the garage
cutting up what was left after it was striped of the good stuff
was able to load it in the back of two pickup trucks
and I  got $13.50 at the scrap yard. ha ha
 I'll post more pics as I get closer to putting the motor in
been getting some good tip on the motor mount problem
thanks to all.  Brandon  440H..

Edited by 440H - Jan/04/2009 at 10:40am
Brandon
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2008 at 4:51pm
I sure hope you saved as much as you could from the parts car. Cry
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2008 at 7:01pm
Yep I sure did, doors, fenders, hood, trunk lid, rear end, whole interior, grill, cross members,
 wheels, radiator core support etc.. etc.. etc.. 440H..
Brandon
KermitDRambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KermitDRambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2008 at 8:00pm
If you post the door tag info from your car, we can fill in some of the details about the paint and interior.

Matt
1967 American wagon

http://www.mattsoldcars.com
raysinvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raysinvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2008 at 9:10pm
PM sent! Wink
Andy Ray
64 440H
64 440 Convertible
68 Javelin SST 343
69 Javelin SST 343
69 SC/Rambler
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2008 at 9:05am
Hey KermitDRambler, I would but the door tag is missing. the red parts car had the tag and
 vin# plate, build sheet, but no title. plus it was rusted out realy bad,uni-frame, qtrs, firewall, front and rear floor, rockers, windshield chanels, and trunk floor. It was pretty much held together with bondo, fiberglass and paint.   this is the number under the hood of the grey primer car  B757844
           Also the motor I pulled out of the red parts car I think is a 232 ci but not sure what year it is the bell housing is a little diferent than the one that came with the 196.5
 the 232 motor # is 306E12 any help would be great.. more pics coming soon..Brandon 440H
Brandon
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2008 at 10:12am
Hey Brandon, nice project car. That's actually the first American I've seen with a center console. I like it. That engine out of the parts car could also be a 199 but it won't matter. You got some work to do but from my experience with my American it's not that difficult. Everything you need to put the engine in place of the 196 was on the parts car. So it's just a matter of swapping parts. If you need any advice let me know. 
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2008 at 4:18pm
Thanks ramblinfsj, unfortunately the parts car did't have motor mounts or a 232 cross member just some welded up chunks of scrap steel and braided steel cable for bolts.
 the guy must have really needed to keep it on the road as long as he could.

I was able to shoot some more pics of the motor and start the cleaning and painting process, also inspecting parts as I go.
this is the motor and trans needing a bath
found a cracked exhaust manifold
cracked on both sides
got a new one ordered.  take a look at this intake is this a stock carb plate
also picked up a remanufactured carter carb, been setting on a shelf for about 20 years

thats it for now, waiting on a new fuel pump and water pump along with the exhaust manifold   Brandon 440H

Edited by 440H - Jan/04/2009 at 10:45am
Brandon
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 10:03am
Unfortunately you got rid of the crossmember. The stock crossmembers for the 199/232s looked like they had scrap metal welded to them for the motor mounts so it's likely it was the factory crossmember.

With a pressure washer, a few cans of oven cleaner, and some patients that engine will clean up nice. I ordered my factory colored engine paint from Galvins Rambler Parts www.ramblerparts.com , just FYI. I've never seen an intake with that kind of carb plate on it. Kind of a head scratcher for me. I'm glad to see you are not wasting any time on the restro. Keep going like you are and you'll be done in no time. 
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
440H View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 440H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2008 at 10:42am
The red parts car I got the motor and tranny out of was a factory 196.5 also. thats why
 using it's cross member whould have done me no good. the set up he had was just steel
plates cut with a cutting torch one bolt holding them to the engine block and a steel braided cable wraped around the cross member to hold the engine on a stack of rubber tire tred.
 got the exhaust manifold last night and the water pump was the wrong one so it's going back for an exchange, shaft was to long and no mounting hole for the alt. fuel pump is still on it's way..
 I'm hoping to get all my parts in , painted and reinstalled before I start my next set of days off.  7 on 7 off.  any idea where I can get new exhaust manifold bolts ? someone make a kit by chance ?
Brandon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic