TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

XRV8 Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 54>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 8:35am
Im glad you started posting your cool unique project. Keep up the good work!!
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2016 at 9:08am
Thank you AMXmachine for your generous encouraging comment.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a more recent pic showing how well the wiper motor 'hides' behind the independent runner induction system- (all internal carburetor metering circuits are modified to run on this no plenum style intake... since AMC used Motorcraft 2150 carburetors on Jeep Grand Wagoneers, this helps to keep my car 'all AMC' as much as possible... the entire induction system (wet, including linkage) weighs only 23 lbs, weighed on a bathroom scale)

...using custom 'steel gray' engine color for the AMX style shadow mask. (the hood's color hinting about what's under the hood)

In this pic, one may also see how I fabricated my own hood pins, not to create new damage to the '73 vintage Gremlin chassis; they're just a steel tab with a pin welded on that bolts under a fender bolt (nice and simple)

Edited by amcenthusiast - Nov/07/2016 at 6:12am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/16/2016 at 9:05am
I tend to hate odd looking custom modifications done to AMC cars; honestly? I usually begin feeling sick to the stomach... like an atheist being forced to sit inside a Catholic Church!

But I had to do this, which was mainly to protect the engine compartment during inclement weather... but I've grown to like it, especially the added ease of access to work on the engine (see next pic)

Edited by amcenthusiast - May/25/2016 at 7:42am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2016 at 10:09pm
Here's a few pics of different ideas I drew using Windows XP 'paint program' on how to make the clamshell hood:

I think a '78 Concord AMX style grille might look best...

*notice whereas the stock Gremlin hood already has an engine bulge, I'm trying to take it a step further and make the scoop harmonize with the Gremlin fender flares -to make it a 'Gremlin Hoodscoop'! 

(much time spent making fiberboard mockups, attaching them with tape and viewing the car from many angles to 'get the look' acceptable?)

*Playing many amateur sports in my formative years definitely produced a PRO-AMC attitude in my current adult lifestyle; I do not want a 'Chevy style cowl induction' hoodscoop decorating my AMC car -in my mind, that would be like wearing a Dallas Cowboys T-Shirt to a Houston Texans pep rally! (boo hiss!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on with the project, here's two pics of the oil pan with one way trap door/rear dam added;

XRV8 Gremlin oil pan

pic on left shows location of rear dam made to align with front of the oil pump housing which hangs from the wide rear main bearing cap (makes a small storage/enclosure there in the rear of the pan where there is less windage)

the second pic attempts to show how the rear dam's trap door opens forward, to release oil from the rear area directly onto the pickup when hitting the brakes

Edited by amcenthusiast - May/25/2016 at 8:21am
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 12:55am
I did wonder how you were getting air to flow over the radiator. If you wanted to keep it without a grille, you could fit a air dam like on some trucks to deflect the air up. This is my favorite Gremlin.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 11:56am
Hi Lucas660, I wish I could give you a ride in it!

Can you view XRV8 Gremlin Google+ picture albums over there in Australia?

Can you add a comment, on any of the XRV8 Gremlin Google+ pages?

It has no problem staying cool with the Studebaker Avanti looking grille delete; there is apparently plenty of airspace above and beneath the front bumper for the AMC seven blade flex fan to draw air through the aftermarket 'Champion Cooling Systems' two row aluminum radiator. > rad gives honest seven pound weight savings in a strategic geometrical location, helping to reduce bi-polar inertia for improved handling, as well as improved heat transfer & I use 'Hyper Lube's water wetter, distilled water and minimal antifreeze to make my own super coolant. I was able to cut a stock Marlin fan spacer to get about 1.25" of space between the fan and the rad. The engine compartment also 'breathes' well to release heat out of the 'carburetor cover' ...the Rambler V8's arguably oversized large water jacket is another aspect that points to AMC's original intent to expand the CID of the engine before the Automobile Manufacturer's Association ban on racing in '57 happened in reaction to '55 LeMans Disaster and '57 NASCAR Mercury Meteor crash into grandstands

Edited by amcenthusiast - Mar/06/2016 at 11:15pm
underdog View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote underdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 3:54pm
My personal opinion is take a 1971-74 AMX grill and contour your sheet metal around that. Your keeping the AMC look and I believe it would be very sharp. And instead of having AMX, You would a GRX in the middle of the grille.

AMC Fan....

[/QUOTE]

Edited by underdog - Jan/18/2016 at 3:57pm
1970 Torino King Cobra
1969 SS396/375 Chevelle
2005 SSR 6.0 HO
2005 Dodge (Rumble Bee)
1963 Manta Ray Spyder
1965 Manx Dune Buggy

1970 Ford Torino King Cobra(protot
GreggR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GreggR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 4:51pm
actually... my "Avanti" comment was meant as a compliment...
No matter where you go, there you are... Buckaroo Banzai.'75 Hornet Hatchback
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 5:34pm
The bottom two photos of nose are greate... yes the top right looks Avanti-ish.

If going with avanti style it reminds me of a mod that Buick did with the 64 Riviara. Don't have a picture, but the grill opening completely closed to a flush fitted panels painted the same as the body. When temps rose or hard acceleration the panels would open. Acutally to put the image of proper look, it would be the top right with the bottom left grill trim to separate the panels when they open.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2016 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Hi Lucas660, I wish I could give you a ride in it!

Can you view XRV8 Gremlin Google+ picture albums over there in Australia?

Can you add a comment, on any of the XRV8 Gremlin Google+ pages?

Wow, this build is well documented, following on Google+
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 54>
  Share Topic