TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

XRV8 Gremlin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 54>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2020 at 5:52am
g-man, the 250/287/327 are all virtually the same except for the bore (1/4" difference in each). The 250 had solid lifters instead of hydraulic, but I think all the passages are there so you could run hydraulics by installing them and either adjusting the 250 rockers or using 287/327 rockers. Not sure about that though, might be a difference in oil passages or something that isn't obvious (drilled differently?). Other than that there is just a difference in the early and late blocks. 63-66 blocks have a pad cast into them for the side motor mounts, but still have the (undrilled) pad for the forward mounts (56-62 used two forward mounts on engine and two on the bell housing in the rear instead of one each side and a transmission mount like 63+).
Frank Swygert
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 1:20pm
Farna I believe you are a very likeable, kind and generous person.

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/18/2020 at 4:37pm
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

No they are not all virtually the same.

The three main types of fallacy that smear the reputation of nearly all AMC products are:

1) Disinformation (deliberate lies)
2) Misinformation (lies by mistake)
3) No information (lying by omission)

The most noteworthy difference among all Rambler V8 engine blocks is that only the 4bbl 327 blocks feature solid main webs; all others have 'windowed mains' for weight reduction.

Wasn't the block you used specific to 1965 year, which had some other changes? I would have to go back and read through your details, but figure you would state the details quicker, than I.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 2:02pm
Hey 304dude!

I used a '64 2bbl 327 long block for this engine build.

I like this because it shows one example of what we can do with a more common windowed main block.

-Still inching closer to the day when I will be able to run this car on an official 1/4 mile dragstrip to get a rough estimate of it's power making potential.

Perhaps sometime in the next six months, if all goes well/no unexpected problems.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

Hey 304dude!

I used a '64 2bbl 327 long block for this engine build.

I like this because it shows one example of what we can do with a more common windowed main block.

-Still inching closer to the day when I will be able to run this car on an official 1/4 mile dragstrip to get a rough estimate of it's power making potential.

Perhaps sometime in the next six months, if all goes well/no unexpected problems.

ah, I may have confused your block, as had explained, something about 65, and 66 Calif. engines, could have been intake or smog differences. Just seemed that you covered a lot of details, that non Rambler engine people, like me can get overwhelmed with. Thanks, for clarification... and yes it will be amazing to see it run a 1/4 mile. I am sure you have gotten your carb setup pretty much dialed in. Sure hate to see a carb give you a bad run.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 4:32pm
OK yes that's another significant factor one should consider when searching for used Rambler V8 engine parts:

-All '66 RV8s (and '66/7 Jeep 'Vigilante V8') cylinder heads were made having air injection bosses cast into the exhaust ports of the heads.

-The air injection boss does protrude into a critical high pressure area of the port which obviously hinders exhaust flow.

Yes, while they can be ported to remove the air injection bosses, it's not an easy task.

Because of the difficulty, I'd recommend non-air injection heads for any higher performance type engine build.
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 10:28pm
So what’s the inside painted with? My good friend painted my lifter valley and it all let go and ruined the build... 
javguy
rsrguy3 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsrguy3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2020 at 10:29pm
So what’s the inside painted with? My good friend painted my lifter valley and it all let go and ruined the build... 
javguy
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 12:06am
All Rambler V8s were internally painted from the factory.

Upon closer inspection, the internal paint is obviously the same paint used on the exterior of the engine.

This means, all Rambler V8 engines used enamel paint, for internal paint.

Pic below showing all useless casting bosses removed from the exterior of the block (fully detailed exterior -only those necessary things that serve a distinct purpose for this application remain intact)

So I used enamel paint, but white instead of red, for increased visual inspection attributes.

'Gyptal' was made to seal porosity in certain engines to keep them from leaking -primary reason?

Of course, on a 'seasoned' engine, any type of internal paint requires intense preparation.

The whole interior of this engine has been detailed with an assortment of cutting, grinding & sanding tools which left many places bare metal...

My first application on this engine failed by additional pressure washing during the build process.

Another key is to learn from our mistakes; for me, my mistake was to not rinse off the phosphoric acid solution I was using to curb iron oxide formation. (live and learn)

So I redid the paint and it held up through the next pressure washing event -then I was satisfied...

Very satisfied with the results:

This was after the second coat & after another pressure wash 'check' to make sure the paint was good enough quality to continue the engine building process. (prior to installing the cam bearings -because Rambler V8s have grooved webs for the cam bearing shells to allow proper two o'clock positioning of the lube hole... note correct position shown above... and no traces of paint on the cam bearing shell...) Note, though they are 'windowed' (on this 2bbl 327 block, whereas all 4bbl 327 blocks feature solid main webs) the main webs are clearly one half inch thick (robust) -very much unlike Buick 455 engine block which features 3/16" thick webs and much larger 'windows'...

Now after almost three years, it is stained to take on a tan/engine oil color, but the internal enamel paint has obviously held up well:

Countless blasts up to 5000 rpm, XRV8 RP built '65 AM Flash-O-Matic still hangin' in there. 2-26-20

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/26/2020 at 12:15am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2020 at 1:16am
One may notice by this experiment that there is still 'working room' for more stroke on this engine:

Notice (above) the piston (with SBC 400 1.56 compression distance) around BDC is flush with the interior of the block.

This means we can try to use a shorter compression distance with a 'stroker/clearanced' rod...

Becoming familiar with this example, I would not turn down the opportunity.

With .150" clearance rods, there is approximately .3" more stroke to be had:

4.082" stroke (on this engine) + .3" more = 475 CID

Edited by amcenthusiast - Feb/26/2020 at 1:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 54>
  Share Topic