TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

AMC V8 Motor slang ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nothingface5384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/23/2015 at 6:47pm
Originally posted by SEdmonds SEdmonds wrote:

The 327 in Jeeps is called the Vigilante

Yep
Fireball is for the buick v6 (has it on aircleaner)
Its dubbed as dauntless when its installed into a jeep/4wd
1972 Pro-Toured Buick Skylark Twin turbo efi 355 v8

1973 Pro-Toured Ford Maverick 302 v8

1975 Stock AMC Hornet 232 I6

1978 Stock Plymouth Volare 225 /6
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2015 at 10:42am
Originally posted by 70javluvr 70javluvr wrote:

Surprise you guys missed the "Mouse" for the chevy small block and the "Elephant" for the Mopar Big Blocks.  also the new 5.0 is the "Coyote".  Personally for the AMC's I like the "Kelvinator".

I was going to make the comment about the elephant. But yes, forgot about the mouse, and the rat. Mopar /6 motor is often called the Leaning Tower of Power.

About the only thing our AMC motor has been repeatedly called - by others, not us - is a Rambler.
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2015 at 3:50pm
All Makes Combined
AMC Okie View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMC Okie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 5:39pm
I liked ALL MY CASH........That's what my AMX is taking right now. Just got it running good, next is the clutch. After that I may have to rebuild the 4 spd. Following that will be the heater, w/s wipers, and radio. It's running now so I'll drive it as much as I can. If it gets too cold I'll drive the 73 Javelin. 
69 "GO PACK AMX"
73 Javelin 43,000 mile,origanl SURVIVOR
68 Javelin parts car
39 Ford coupe
48 Chevy coupe
2004 Dodge 1500 Rumble Bee
2005 Pontiac Solstice
Charlie S.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2015 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by AMC Okie AMC Okie wrote:

I liked ALL MY CASH........That's what my AMX is taking right now. Just got it running good, next is the clutch. After that I may have to rebuild the 4 spd. Following that will be the heater, w/s wipers, and radio. It's running now so I'll drive it as much as I can. If it gets too cold I'll drive the 73 Javelin. 

Any old car takes cash .A friend is 30Kointo a 70 454 Chevelle . I still kick his rump.... with a 360  LOL
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 11:40am
Originally posted by toolmanxiii toolmanxiii wrote:

Originally posted by AMC Okie AMC Okie wrote:

Any old car takes cash .A friend is 30Kointo a 70 454 Chevelle . I still kick his rump.... with a 360  LOL

I had the 401 machined at Reynold's Machine of Bakersfield. When I came in to pick it up he said, "I thought Mopars were the most expensive motors to machine; I was wrong."
Son's car: '73 Gremlin X, 401, T-10, Mopar 8.75 rear with 3.23 sure grip. My car: '70 Newport Convertible, 440 automatic
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/27/2015 at 10:34pm
Cars don't run on gas, they run on Ca$h.

Rambler was number 3 in sales in the US at one point in history, right behind Ford and Chevrolet. Pretty impressive. Then teetered on the edge of bankruptcy before getting swallowed up by Chrysler in the 80's. Looking back at all the name changes throughout the years, there's a lot of brand-recognition in a name. Invaluable. From Nash/Hudson to American Motors/Rambler to AMC. People will ask me what kind of a car it is and I'll say "American Motors" and they'll go, huh? Then I'll say "Rambler" and they'll go, oh yeah, their Dad/Grandad/Uncle owned a Rambler.

Not sure why machining an AMC V8 would cost any more that machining any other old-school V8 engine, they're all made of iron, aren't they? Maybe it's the extra cost of machining that special AMC alloy.

Ask any Brand 'X' fan for their take on some slang for AMC V8's - they'll have some interesting ones for sure, just don't do it when the young'uns or the missus are around.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/28/2015 at 8:21pm
Although metal in AMC has be a contension point even among our own . My machinist tells me it takes longer to bore an AMC as he gets a bit chatter if he tries to cut as fast as he can with any other block . so it costs a little more . I can live with the exrta $40.00... I know it's done right .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
Snotty View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snotty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 12:36pm
Parts are involved too. Reynolds ordered the pistons, etc; my Son and I did the assembly. The cost was $2,500. Motor was .030 over, crank .010 under, rotating assembly was balanced and he did a valve job on both heads.
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2015 at 12:55pm
I put this on the 401 back in 2003 and took them off a few years ago.  People still ask me how the Kelvinator is running.

Edited by fast401 - Nov/30/2015 at 12:59pm
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic