TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area > Tool Tips and fabrication
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shop Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/08/2016 at 1:28pm
Awesome shop bill. Just need a couch to sleep on or do you have an old Rambler. Your like me can't pass up on a good tool. 
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2016 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

If'n anyone looks at the photos (as if anyone even really reads any of this) and has suggestions on how to store things, where to place things and so on, let me know.
Your right Bill, no one reads this thread.  Wink

You always make me smile. But you must seriously think about upgrading to some better reading material!  
Seriously, your shop and work make me want to keep improving things. 

Ha, I had a 4 with reclining bucket seats, and my parents had a 4 wagon - yeah, front to back bed space. Can't beat that, a 1 bedroom AMC!  I sort of miss that old Rambler I had. What a comfortable fun car.

Another slowdown - had the procedure on my airways Friday. I finally found a place that recognized my severe breathing and throat issues, showed me what was going on (I didn't have to wait for her explanation of the CT scan of my sinuses to know what was going on. I can recognize a collapsed hose, vacuum line, etc. and when those openings that show up as dark lines and spaces in the CT scans suddenly narrow to nothing and all but disappear, I thought to myself - uh-oh......
Yeah, things were closed up in there. Well that procedure left me totally stuffed up for as they said "3 or 4 days" after the procedure, and EXTREMELY sensitive to COLD. Guess what the temps did this weekend - it's 0 now, 30+ mph winds. I was out for a while and it left my head pounding. 
Friday the procedure to open up the passages in my head didn't hurt while happening but 30 minutes later I felt like a horse had kicked me in the face, even my teeth hurt. Dust? She said avoid that for a while, or wear a good mask and clean the sinuses out at least once or twice a day to keep things clean and help prevent infection (certain infections on that area can be extremely serious)
Anyway, I was out for a while tonight until I couldn't breathe but did get a couple of tiny things organized a bit, some more stuff put away, a bit more planning anyway. 

I have a question for the shop experts out here in AMC land. 
Grease guns - how the @#$% do you store them without making a mess?
I have one that is about 30-35 years old, the long lever type, works pretty well but if you lay it flat the light parts of any grease I use cone out the end or the vent on the top, etc.
I have a newer one that is only 5 or months old, new grease, it's a more expensive one and I laid it down on a piece of cardboard after using it last, had it all wiped off - and see up by the hand trigger area the cardboard is all soaked. 
Grease guns seem to have a problem with the grease separating a bit and the lighter thinner parts leaking out making a mess. If you hold one up to pull the plunger to prep for filling or putting a new cartridge in, oily crap runs out all over, you and the floor. I used to hang then over a pan but of course the stuff settles out, drips into the pan and flies and bugs die in it and you have a GROSS MESS.
If you lay them flat, they leak, and when you pick them up, it runs out the bottom end. If you hang them upright, it runs out the bottom making a mess in whatever is below them. 
So how do you store your grease guns to minimize the mess and deal with the grease light parts separating out - can't blame it on cheap or low quality grease - I've used some of the best greases on the market and I've used various sorts of grease over the years - similar issues with any of them. 
I'm starting out clean, want to keep things clean (with my sinus issues it's apparently more important than ever that I try), and don't want to have a total mess in just a few weeks after all this effort of cleaning, etc.
And it's not that I'm afraid of getting dirty - I've farmed, raised hogs, and had oil, transmission fluid, and antifreeze up to my armpits and running into my shirt. But those grease guns drive me nuts. 
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:01am
I use a el cheapo plastic toolbox, kind of like a tackle box for fishing. This cost next to nothing. Put a few rags in the bottom and you are good to go. A flexible hose is easier for this. The particular box I have has a little organiser in the top that clips in. That's where I keep the spare nipples.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 12:30am
My new gun has a rigid pipe, the older long lever gun has a hose. I liked the new one for getting those really tough spots on the Eagle, it was hard to hold the hose and end on and use both hands to pump the lever. the newer one I can get the end on the fitting, hold and use one hand to squeeze the smaller trigger - and it got a fitting greased i'd been having a whole lot of trouble with before. 

That's not a bad idea - I wonder if I could find something like that that would hold both, or even one of mine......it would keep bugs out/off and keep the ends and other accessories organized. 
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2016 at 8:53am
Bill,
Seems as if we all afflicted by the dreaded "grease gun pandemonium"

I am sure there is a "expert" somewhere!!! I am positive the news media can locate him/her (want to be politically correct) and said person can appear on a "talking heads" show and set us all straight. Let us all cross our fingers and hope the day arrives soon !!!!

In the mean time, I just lay my grease guns on a piece of 3/4" plywood and push them under my work bench. They leak just fine on the plywood.

I do have two guns. One was my fathers. I am sure a few thousand tubes of grease have been pushed thru it on all our farm machinery. I thought a new one would solve the leaking problem...WRONG !!!!

Have AMC FUN, Ollie
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 8:45am
Say I really like your valve grinder. I got one from an old timer at work, his name was Homer and he taught me the right way to do differentials, Dang that was 30+ years ago,  comes in handy and saves a boat load of money. My shop looks like Katrina and the Valdez went through it and that's when its cleaned up.
59 American 2dr S/W. 70 390 AMX. 70 232 javelin. Kelvinator fridge ice cold beer storage.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by Ollie Ollie wrote:

Bill,
Seems as if we all afflicted by the dreaded "grease gun pandemonium"

I am sure there is a "expert" somewhere!!! I am positive the news media can locate him/her (want to be politically correct) and said person can appear on a "talking heads" show and set us all straight. Let us all cross our fingers and hope the day arrives soon !!!!

In the mean time, I just lay my grease guns on a piece of 3/4" plywood and push them under my work bench. They leak just fine on the plywood.

I do have two guns. One was my fathers. I am sure a few thousand tubes of grease have been pushed thru it on all our farm machinery. I thought a new one would solve the leaking problem...WRONG !!!!

Have AMC FUN, Ollie

Ollie this isn't intended to insult you by saying you are really old or anything, but gee, father's grease gun, that could qualify to be on Antiques Roadshow and is likely one of the better built guns with actual real honest to goodness steel parts!
If there was any sort of harvesting equipment, a picker, combine, etc. - I get there was a tube of grease every couple of days during harvest.

My new one did sort of solve the leaking out the bottom end issue - yeah, this one leaks out the top end! Sort of like Microsoft saying they've solved the BSOD issue, no more blue screens of death. They did that by changing the screen color when Windows crashed!

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by WARBED WARBED wrote:

Say I really like your valve grinder. I got one from an old timer at work, his name was Homer and he taught me the right way to do differentials, Dang that was 30+ years ago,  comes in handy and saves a boat load of money. My shop looks like Katrina and the Valdez went through it and that's when its cleaned up.

I'm glad I didn't read that he worked in a nuclear power plant..........

I wasn't able to spend much time in the shop last night - the cold air walking to and from (it's about 200' from the house) and the air out there caused my nose and sinuses to go nuts on me - that procedure left things ultra-sensitive for a few days. And it left me zonked as I've not slept well since Friday due to the stuffed head and soreness. But it's worth it - supposedly, if it all works as intended, when it clears up I'll be able to breathe better.
In the mean-time though it's tough to breathe out there.
Then in a few weeks I start the chemical cauterization process up in the sinuses and that's going to be a real blast, tons of fun.

The fellow I bought and am buying the equipment from is a tad older than me and happened to work at the same place our college class toured - a place that built custom performance engines. 40 years later I find that Art worked for Bill and trained as I did and on that type of equipment. Small world.
I found that valve grinder was made in 1969, you can get wear items for it - stones and so on but not major parts of course. No biggy as it's like brand new. The seat tools - those are still being made by an outfit in MN and can get all parts for them as if it was still 1969 - it's still in their current model listing.
Art takes care of his stuff and his wife occasionally goes out to the shop and dusts and wipes things down.
I had to use my engine hoist to lift the valve grinder out of the back of my truck. No plastic parts there.

The solvent tank is ready to go, in place, wood bumper mounted on the back to protect the wall from the tank hitting it since the tank is on casters, a wood buffer on the right end of the large work bench to help maintain some distance between tank and bench, and I added a shelf under the solvent tank to hold the drain pans off the floor. I need to find a good way to stash the brushes when not actively using them. I'd been putting them into a coffee can on a shelf under the tank but then you are dripping solvent onto the tank, floor, and have to reach down under the tank to get a brush so looking for a better solution to store the solvent tank brushes, perhaps in the tank somehow?
Ideas?
Need a good way to stash the gloves, too - but I think those would be fine on the shelf under the tank and I want them AWAY from the solvent when not in use as they last longer that way. I go through 2 or 3 pair a year easily as it is.  I'm wondering about something similar to a dish drainer where the gloves would be maybe held up off the shelf, at a sort of angle and so they'd not lay in or on any solvent.

Once I get some stuff shoved and I mean literally SHOVED out of the way and stacked higher so I have room to walk to the south wall again, I need to clear the spot where the blast cabinets will go so I can get those back in operation. I need them badly for alternator work - but I'm going to have to buy a really decent particulate mask/filter to wear since that sort of crap in my nose and sinuses could send me backwards a few years.

Katrina, Sandy and all 5 cats - that's what my shop looks like - as if all of them hit it and had their way. A Kansas twister couldn't have done a better job stacking things normally unstackable.
It's as if we were prepping to shoot the 'Home Alone 2, Lost in New York' basement scene out there........
But it's getting closer to the point that I can again start working on the stuff I need to get done.

These are the items stacked up to get back to and repair/restore ASAP - as soon as I can make space and get the blast cabinets back in operation again.

You can see the two red cabinets - the smaller bead blaster is in the foreground, the other is in the background - oddly the larger one doesn't work worth a crap. It's got steel shavings in it and I run it full pressure but the gun is shot or something as it doesn't pull media well and barely even dulls paint and doesn't take rust off well at all. The bead blaster does fine - but see how far away it is from where it needs to be, and there's no path to get back there right now - and there's a pickup load of stuff laying and sitting between it and where it belongs.

Ugh, I'm pretty discouraged with it all now. Taking months longer than anticipated. Even my wife said the other day "why is it that things always end up far more complicated and taking so much longer than planned". At least she's giving me a break on my floor project, she's saying "it probably won't be done until spring 2017 now". Poor girl.
I hate the mess, hate the time it's taking, but it's tough when you work 9 hour days, have the drive to and from on top of that plus the doctor visits lately.
But soon I hope, it will be cleaned up, put away properly and decent to work in again.

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 11:20am
I've been trying real hard to remember " man has got to know his limitations". I built a 3 course block square in the garage under the house, put the ne hotwater tank on it to shorten pipe runs to the 8.5" ceiling. I spent all day Saturday try to get it hooked up. The outlet valve in the line to the rest of the pumbing sprang a leak. Had to go clear to silver solder to get it to seal. As soon as it was fixed the other side started!  There isn't an outlet valve anymore. I even went so far as to just use a couple of puch connectors.
  Sunday was horrible, spent all day in the recliner. My back and shoulders don't work overhead good. I have not slept all night in a bed for many nights now. I sleep in the "TV" room as it has a queen size bed and a good recliner. I just move back and forth every few hours.
    My shop is piled high with parts, then the American is wedged in tight to the parts and the door.
My parking stall is full of the laundry bathroom remodel that started the moving of the hot water tank.
   Of course, my wife's stall is clear and she can park inside...

Every time she mentions doing something I shoot her down "not till the laundry room is done" I say "one project at a time" 

I've got medical aches, a recurring cyst in left wrist is back again, sigh. Getting old after trashing your back, should and neck, just sucks. I don't tell my wife as it feels like I'm just throwing things at a dart board and they do not stick...
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
WARBED View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WARBED Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2016 at 12:28pm
Hard to keep things organized eh,  I also have one of those HF blasters. took a bit of time but got mine working darn good. I do use the exhaust side of a vacuum to pull the dust out so I can actually see what I'm doing. had a regulator but does work better with strait air. For now I'm using glass as an abrasive. Bought a used Econoline blaster but it's a giant and got no were to put it for now. Oh got the Homer joke, the one he gave me is a old Black and Decker when the name actually stood for quality it works great and it's actually not to heavy at least not as heavy as the Soiux/sioux/soiux hea one of those spellings, it's made of thick cast aluminum. The sioux I got at an old VW shop, kept bugWackoging them to sell it to me since they never used it. they had about 50 VW heads on top of it. finally he just gave it to me, but if they needed a head rebuilt he would have me do it. never brought me a one, at the time you could get a new rebuilt VW head for 50.00 bucks. I did get one at action but sold that years ago, can't keep everything. But I try. There is a few places to get quality accessories for the grinders. But like you said nothing for the machines themselves. I know grizzly has some things but you really have to pay attention as to who actually makes it. Good luck with your projects got to go out and see why the Javelin I'm working on has no power to the fuse box/ lights ect. found a cut 10 gauge red wire rate before the junction box on the engine compartment side I think it's my culprit.

Edited by WARBED - Jan/14/2016 at 7:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic