TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area > Tool Tips and fabrication
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Shop Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 2:29pm
You have picked up some nice stuff! Shop looks really good. I do like doors and drawers. Hides the clutter. Caveman invented the wheel. Put it to use.
SC
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/02/2015 at 6:49pm
Looks great Bill. I hope you have inventoried everything and insured it? One of my tech's just about lost everything because he didn't.

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 7:23am
Originally posted by 70 Donohue 390 70 Donohue 390 wrote:

Looks great Bill. I hope you have inventoried everything and insured it? One of my tech's just about lost everything because he didn't.

No and yes. Sort of......... but your post is a good reminder to check with my agent and see what he has on file as far as the last communication about my tools, etc.
For Barbara's quilting area we have a lot of photos on file - due to the immense amount of fabric and hundreds of spools of thread she has, it was about the only way to do it without spending days, literally. We have photos of all of her sewing machines, embroidery machine, quilting machine with serial numbers.

It was suggested, maybe by my brother a while back since he used to be in the insurance industry before he started his own business, that I get a video of the shop - walk around and video the whole building contents and zoom in on the model and serial numbers of the larger items, but get enough to show "quantity" of things that I have in number.

I contacted Kwik-Way (still in business, by the way, but they have sold the valve seat portion of their business to a performance equipment outfit in MN which sort of makes one feel good about the valve equipment just bought because the line will continue and stuff can still be bought and it didn't go to some foreign outfit!) and I can still get reprints of the original manuals and they told me based on the serial number the valve machine itself was a 1969 model. I'd say for 45 year old machine it sure looks darned nice! But Art took extremely good care of his stuff. You'd swear he had a maid come in every week and clean the place. Anyway, I can still get the manuals and the consumables are available for the machine but not parts themselves. For the seat equipment they said that although the patents/rights, etc. were sold for the seat tools and accessories, the company that bought the rights and equipment was keeping it going and the model is still current and all parts are still available for that, including the stones, accessories, etc. Cool.

Well the apples are finally all done. I have no idea how many dozens I peeled and sliced while Barbara made pies, sauce, apple brownies/bars and so on but it was taking about 5 hours each weekend at least. Except for a half dozen saved back for eating, I'm done with that major chore so can again concentrate on the shop (well, sort of, there's still the issue of the promised wood floors and closet remakes that didn't get done last winter and that is now being hinted at again!)

Except for some additional shelves for the cabinets and the track and hangers for same, the bulk of the stuff is here. I've been cutting 1-by and 2-by stock and scraps to put in the racks to make shelves and got one of the tall extended units done and put in place and have a couple of transmissions and a block on it already. Had to move those so I could get to some other stuff stashed in the lean-to.
That's the killer, have to move some things before I can get to the things I REALLY want to get to.
I'm trying to get to my plating supplies and chemicals before the temps really dip - and then get to the alternator tools and parts, of course they are buried in the center of all the piles of stuff in the garage and under the lean-to. I'm about to the point of clearing a bunch of floor space in the shop and just starting to bring things in but I have had to keep the floor clear to have room to build the shelving/racks and cabinets and maneuver the gantry crane and engine hoist around to lift things. With the shelving and cabinets almost built maybe I can move enough things in to get to the stuff I really need to get back to the starter/alternator restoration.
The work benches are pretty much dead center in the piles of stuff so until I can get even 1 of those in, not much can be done. And I want the solvent tank in soon so it won't be 30 degrees while I try to clean parts. Brrrrr.

No use handling the heavy stuff twice so as I moved the transmissions and block out of the way I just left them on the 2 wheel cart and shelved them.
The weight was almost too much for my 2 wheel car or dolly, a home-owner version not intended for more than 50 pounds I'm sure as the wheels barely turned and the bottom plate was bending a bit. I had to get creative and ran 2 chains from the transmissions and block up to the car handle on each side to lift up on the front of each while I pulled the cart handle back to get things lifted and moving. That little 2 wheel cart came originally with plain bushing for bearing wheels about the size of a small lawn mower wheel. At least they were steel and not plastic like most lawn mower wheels today. Dad gave me a pair of pneumatic tires and wheels to put on the cart - nice, but you now have to use a wood block to space things forward or the tires rub. I had the tires nearly flat bringing in the transmissions and block - and that's one at a time!

I think there's still room for a 258 head or two between the block and transmission. I have another 258 short block but that will likely go onto another rack.

Valve grinder off the floor and onto a stand. The seat tools are on a shelf inside the cabinet. This was about the right size. I added the casters myself as these don't come with casters standard and their "caster kits" from the same company are priced crazy as heck.

Another shot of valve machine and stand where
a - is a big jug of the water soluble oil for the valve machine and the Sunnen rod reconditioner.
b - wiper motors/wiper motor cores
c - storage area or little closet, under the landing for the stairs going to the wood shop upstairs.

Working on another rack for tubs of "stuff", AMC parts, etc. It takes a lot of wood to form the shelves if you don't want to spring for their wire shelving parts or the particle board shelves you can buy from them. I've got more weight than those would bear.

East well where 'a' is a new cabinet - have two of those, this one will likely be wall mounted to make it easier to keep the floor clean, and to maybe stow stands or a jack under the cabinet Waiting for the parts to arrive for that - and additional shelves for in the cabinet. The only come with 3 which is sort of stupid.
'b' is existing cabinet but will likely relocate it, maybe. Not sure if it will stay where it is. I'll have 4 of those total when I get done assembling them.

And the mess where I am putting these things together. There's a ton of packaging materials - "styrofoam", cardboard, plastic wrap and bags, etc. to dispose of. They aren't bad to assemble but all of the assembly of these, the shelves/racks, etc. takes a ton of time. Then - how to arrange things? Spacing of the shelves? Where will the cabinets hang?
Ugh - I hate this part. Then I have to clean up the MESS.

Anyone here an interior designer or space planner person? I really need a good space planner - someone who can look at a space and figure out how and where to best place "things" to make the best use of small spaces. I just suck at that part - I hate it, am not good at planning at all, and struggle to figure out where things are going to go. I could more easily solve some large international crisis than plan space use like this, figure out what fits and what will go where. 

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/09/2015 at 7:37am
BTW - this could happen more quickly than I had wanted, unfortunately. I mean the retirement part from my big/real job. It seems the boss is in talks with the state OCIO (Office of the Chief Information Officer) as far as having them take over all or part of the servers and networking. Apparently he believes that 1 person (*me) can't do what it was taking 3 people to do, and our bean counter is looking for ways to shave costs (all while a couple of departments are in hiring frenzies and the financial bureau is now fully staffed with everyone they need or want, they are 100% staffed)
Well the boss is sort of right - but all they need to do is work with OCIO on a time and material basis when there's a major upgrade project or something. The daily stuff I handle very well. In fact I handle that stuff so well we've been running our WAN at nearly 100% up time. He even says the numbers are the best now that they've ever been since I took over on our WAN and WAN configuration 100% after our network administrator retired nearly 2 years ago.
But of the OCIO takes over, they take over - and I mean all network connection, including WAN, go over to them in their building and the servers will be moved over there as well.
I even half joked in a meeting last week to the OCIO networking rep there "can you drag your feet a bit on this at least until I retire, otherwise I won't have anything to do". But the boss said oh, yeah, you'll still be busy" - I resisted the temptation to pop back with oh, yeah? Doing what? explaining to users how to turn a computer on?
Seriously, network, LAN/WAN, servers, it's what I do mostly. Oh, yeah, there's the security part - but OCIO would take all of that over too, and frankly they'd gut out what I have in place in favor of their lame protection run by a guy who believes that 5 or 6 infections a day is normal. Normal? #$@% you shouldn't have that many in a whole month, ya ding-dong!
We went about 4 years with 0 and he believes 5 or 6 a day is good?
If the boss moves forward with his thoughts and the OCIO wins with their chomping at the bit and drooling wanting to take over on all things IT, then I'll be out and in a bit of a big pickle........... and at my age too late to start over again, so the shop will be my grocery money and house payments.
Gotta keep moving forward with this and hope that I can make things work.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/10/2015 at 6:54am
It’s funny how someone like that guy that guts out what you have in place in favor of their lame protection and run by a guy who believes that 5 or 6 infections a day is normal gets to keep their job when others know and prove they know more than him.

I know it is hard to sit by and let them do what they think is best but if they are going to pay you to sit or show how to turn on computers then sit & show for your 16 months. Heck you earned it for all the other crap you have had to deal with over the years you have been there.

Maybe drop hints that when it does not work, based on numbers as that is all they see, you will come back as a consultant and make the big bucks ;)

After working IT contract work, using it as a foot in the door to get a full time job, I had enough and now drive tank trailer trucks. They tell me when & where I need to be and I am then the boss. Start & stop hours are not great but it is local so I am home every night. Plan is to do this for 10+ years and retire.

I hope it all works out for you.
BTW do you have Visio at work? I think you can use that for your garage space planning?
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 7:42am
Yeah, before the OCIO "absorbed" (sort of like a corporate unfriendly take-over is more how it's done here) DNR's IT, I was in a Symantec user group meeting and their IT guy that handled their anti-malware, etc. was griping up a storm about how their protection was worthless and they constantly had to reimage computers because of this nasty virus that kept getting in and they weren't able to clean it and he was just really blasting the product, which happened to be Symantec's endpoint protection, exactly what I've used since it came out.
I kept asking questions of him and he kept telling everyone as loud as possible how worthless it was because it couldn't stop that virus.
I told him that we'd been totally virus-free for over 3 years (at that time, it's now well over 4 years) and we used the same product. All he could say was we were lucky because the product was worthless.
I increased my questions and also made sure others in the group heard how much success I'd had and how we were doing things with it beyond what anyone I had talked to had done.
Meeting over, he wasn't quite as vocal about it but still grumbled.
A week later I got a call from him as my boss had seen him in another meeting and suggested he talk to me about their security problems.
He came over and we met in my office where I showed him how I had things set up, the custom intrusion prevention signatures I had put together, how I was blocking USB drives and data transfers through them, the application control rules I had made that prevented browser helper objects from being snuck into the registry and so on.
He had this glossy look and said he'd never even seen those areas before........ I checked their system - there was a fellow under him who had actually installed the product - and he had left EVERYTHING at the install defaults. Nothing was configured properly at all.
So I exported my security policies and sent them over - it was the end of their virus problems.

Shop - Iowa weather sucks sometimes. I had yesterday off but made little progress because Barbara had promised a friend that we'd help her get a new cabinet picked up at Home Depot and take it to her home for her, as well as other chores. She made up for that by helping pull back the @#$% cheap-#@$ so-called tarps they sell now days and move things into the shop I was extremely concerned about because of an extreme storm and high wind prediction we'd been hearing for over a day. They were talking whopper storms, tornadoes and winds of 50 to 70 mph for the night and Thursday after the Wednesday storms rolled through.
We got a few things moved in from under the tarps, redid the tarps and strapped them down better, moved loose things into the garage. (quite a bit of the shop stuff was and is still stacked high and deep in the garage so it was safe)
We barely made it - the winds were coming up as we were trying to strap the tarps back in place.  I can't believe the stuff she was lifting and moving.
I was exhausted by lunch (which came late at about 1:30) and took a short break, then went back out to try to get things we'd moved into the shop semi-situated so I could continue to assemble cabinets and shelving.
Not long after I went out the wind came up like unreal - it was as strong as I'd seen. I heard a constant roar and rumble from the sky - not thunder, it was unending like heavy train traffic. I heard a big sound moving from the south like giant wall was approaching and WHAM, hail hard as heck. Luckily the hail lasted only seconds as the Eagle wagon and my truck still sit outside.
The wind didn't let up and big heavy stuff was blowing around like toys. That roar in the sky was loud and unending so I gave up and ran to the house and right downstairs to see the weather on the TV - the map was red all around, constant tornadoes all around, as one moved on another 1 or 2 appeared. Semi trucks blown over, a semi trailer at a WalMart not far away are laid over. Signs were flattened. The wind speeds they were reporting on the TV were in the 50 to 90 mph range and that wasn't even the tornadoes they were talking about.
Lucky the storm moved FAST. It was only around our area for a short time but the winds stayed. In fact it's still windy at like 50 mph, supposed to die down to the 40 mph range a bit later.
So I wasn't able to do much at all yesterday.

The supplies for mounting the cabinets on the wall arrived this week. Steel brackets that have to be bolted to the back of the cabinets and track you mount on the walls. That's gonna be fun with the steel walls which of course are the "corrugated steel" so not flat, meaning I'll have to use wood spacers to mount the tracks to the walls.  And just finding the mounting points won't be easy - normal ways to find "studs" in walls won't work behind steel walls. I can tell some by how the screws attach the steel, but that won't find the upright posts or all of the horizontal pieces as they only attach the steel with screws into every other horizontal run of the frame.
We did get my armature lathe moved in ! YEAH!!! Need that for the alternator and starter restoration.   I guess I can't say no progress - that's a big deal. I got it mounted on a stand now - with casters, so it's going to be a whole lot easier to get to and use when I need it.
Goal is to at least get to the point that the stuff isn't out under tarps any more, and the things necessary to get going on the alternators again is moved in and set up first, or at least at or near the very top of the list.
Problem is that there's a lot of other stuff in the way - that's what Barbara was helping with - moving things into the shop just so they are in a pile in there and out of the way so I can get to the other stuff and get it moved in.
I'm really close to being able to get a work bench moved back in, holy cow, that, the solvent tank and blast cabinets and I'll be almost there as far as the restoration work. The rest I can take time on.

So we got a few things moved in and out of the weather, recovered things with the tarps and strapped them down better in prep for the storms, got the armature lathe in, set up on a new stand and ready to use for the starters and alternators, got my bench grinder and stand found in the pile and moved in and set up (helps to clean the parts for plating, etc. so that was also needed as it's got the wire wheel on it.)
I think I got in by about 11:00 last night. When I left the shop and went around the corner to head to the house I was hit by a huge gust that literally sucked the breath right out of me.
They were warning about that on the news this AM telling people to be aware - they could get knocked down or have their breath taken away as the wind crossed their face.
What a weird feeling, for a couple of seconds you literally can't breathe.  

I do have visio but not so sure I'd be good at using it for planning - might give it a try, never thought of using that.

Edited by billd - Nov/12/2015 at 7:46am
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 8:47am
I don't know what's taking you so long Bill! Tongue

It looks really good so far Smile
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
S Curry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S Curry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 9:22am
Talking to my son that lives in WDM. Sounds like it got nasty down there. We had some rain and then the wind started around 9PM nothing really bad. Just blew around some deck chairs. No snow.
I found out where I got my squeegee from. Arnold Motor Supply. I can even get a stock number if you wish. I really like it.
SC
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2015 at 6:30pm
Quote I do have visio but not so sure I'd be good at using it for planning - might give it a try, never thought of using that.
Don't feel bad I tried to use Visio for some project I was doing at the time. I was not and still not good at it so I turned to pen & paper Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2015 at 7:32am
Originally posted by S Curry S Curry wrote:

Talking to my son that lives in WDM. Sounds like it got nasty down there. We had some rain and then the wind started around 9PM nothing really bad. Just blew around some deck chairs. No snow.
I found out where I got my squeegee from. Arnold Motor Supply. I can even get a stock number if you wish. I really like it.

If it works well, yes, please. The one I have I bought on sale but it was supposedly a good one, not a WalMart special, yet it's so stiff and ungiving and doesn't follow the floor contours well (no concrete is 100% perfect)

Anyway, I did what I have not done for quite a while - messed myself up again. I had a stack of boards I had salvaged from heavy pallets stacked in my wood shop upstairs - near the planer. Was going to plane them and clean them up to use as shelves in the area under the stairs landing. Well..... instead of cleaning up, picking up and putting things away as I go up there, I had piles of stuff all over, what a mess. I was cutting boards to use as "furring strips" to mount the cabinet tracks to the walls. The downstairs steel walls of course are NOT flat, corrugated steel is fun to hang things on, and because there are not studs on 16" centers but instead the boards of the building frame run horizontally, I have to use strips to space things out even with the high spots of the walls, and to attach to the frame structure of the building.
So I turned or pivoted to turn on the dust collector, then turned back to the table saw and snagged my foot on the stack of lumber there and I went down hard - I saw myself headed into the corner of the radial arm saw table and the steel sticking out from that and reached out to catch myself with my right arm and frankly for a while there thought I had broken it. I sat there thinking "oh, @#$%!!!" then realized, naw, it ain't broken but I sure can't easily move it. I tore/strained the muscle so even reaching up or out for anything is extremely painful (actually nearly impossible)
It's getting a bit better but I stay pretty much maxed out on ibuprofen at this point. Wow, talk about another set-back. That's all I needed. On the other hand, those of us with bad cases of ADD are expected to be, are described as being very "accident prone" and my medical history bears that out.

Ah, but I'm not one to sit back and take it laying down, exactly. I "drug up" and get back to work, much to my wife's dismay and displeasure.
It might take 3 hours to do 1 hour of work, but I'm so bloody far behind already I can't just do nothing.
Good thing I keep a collection of bars, straps, chains, 4x4's, 2x4's, have the gantry crane and engine hoist, a "come-along", 4 floor jacks (plus one in the garage that doesn't work well) and 6 jackstands.

The stand's top isn't done but here's the armature lathe pretty much ready to use now! No longer sitting precariously on saw horses and being dragged around the shop, it's on a stand with casters.

When my wife was helping me dig stuff out, she ran across this and since the case had a handle, took it out to the shop. I cleaned it up nicely. I think it might have been used once or twice at the time I worked for Andy, I know it was set back and not used after I left there as he didn't do differential work after that and I did most of the transmission work, too. This is great for carrier bearings and much more. No press needed. It's a nice tool for cleanly removing tapered roller bearings.  This was either one of the shop tools my former boss gave me, or I may have paid some small amount for it.

I did manage to get a couple of cabinets mounted on the wall, although it took a whole lot longer with the banged-up arm.
The cords/air hose won't likely stay there, but for now needed to have a place to put them, have to try to get back to normal and start getting real work done, so am getting tools and supplies moved in as a priority, some storage and shelving may have to wait a bit.

This rack is in place now - I did get the wood up on the top so all shelves are completed and I can start moving parts onto them as soon as I seal the wood.
My wife loved what I did with a couple of them. I had salvaged the better lumber from an old picnic table we had for years but had started to fall apart. I ran some of the boards through the planer to clean them up and to make them the same thickness as standard lumber - a 2x4 is 1.5" by 3.5" but these were a good 1.75" thick originally.   I got sort of silly one night late and thought what the heck, might as well alternate them for strength - and stood back and cool, neat pattern! My wife thought it was deliberate for the looks, I said, well, I guess, but originally it was to make sure the wood species was alternated for maximum strength, the result was something she, my favorite quilter, really liked.
With this unit in place, I have also moved in the first work bench, cleaned it up and put it in place. Now, yes, when I get the tubs/bins with the alternators and starters dug out and moved back in, and the parts dug out and put away, and find the rest of my tools, I can get back to work!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic