TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 12:38am
Thanks guys.. I appreciate it...

Got the rear end all buttoned up the other day.

N.O.S. shock mounts completed that part of the project up.

Drug out the T-10 and got the shifter all squared away.

I purchased this pit pack many years ago and I wanted to find another one, but they all have dried up. Replaced all the old with the new from the pit pack.

I think my dolly is a little too low to put my headers on. Couple of 2x4's under the cross member should bring it up enough for those to fit.

The battles continue..!!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 5:53am
Should be a lot easier to install with the header on from the bottom. Since you have the engine on the crossmember I assume that's what you're doing...
Frank Swygert
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/24/2019 at 8:32am
It's all going in from underneath the car Frank...
That's the plan anyways..
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 2:14am
Trials and tribulations...

Other then the wheel peeling itself, everything went as planned.
I knew the shifter was going to give me a time and I am thankful that the scatter shield didn't. Everything fit as it should of.
Made new studs for the front crossmember.

After a "few" fittings I found out that the rotisserie wouldn't lower the car down far enough to meet the crossmember. I ended up having to use the cherry picker.

It's in...!!!

I still have to get the rear crossmember bolted up, so I have a jack holding the transmission up. It's making the shifter stick out of the hole a little ways. This is going to be FUN...!!

More battles to continue...!!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 8:41am
I wish I would have thought to mention this before the engine went in....Get that almost impossible wiper motor linkage installed to the motor before you get anything else in the way of having access to it...They can be a real girl puppy...Good luck with it, and I hope it goes easier than the ones I have done...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 10:06am
Thank you Bob..
There are a few things that I wanted to put in before the motor went in.
Wiring harness, wiper motor like you stated. Wiring harness is still in a tub
I remember having to put that darned wiper motor in many years ago. Wish I would of thought of if. It not just the putting in the wiper motor, its that stinking little clip..!! And it is a pain. Kind of like the pain that I am feeling today. I'm too old to be crawling around on the concrete.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

It not just the putting in the wiper motor, its that stinking little clip..!!
There is a reason it's nickname is Jesus clip.
It's because your always saying"Jesus! Where did that thing go?" every time it takes off on you. LOL

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 12:57pm
Its the clip I meant to be talking about, but was not as clear as I could have been....I would bet a good steak dinner that the factory put all that in before the engines were installed...if you could stand right in front of the hole it probably would not be to bad to do...Or maybe there is a way to put the motor and arms in pre assembled in one piece with the clip already attached and then put the stud nuts on...I converted my 1970 Gremlin from vacuum wipers to electric....to rid it of that almost unobtainable fuel pump....and everything is in place except that damn clip...I tried on and off for days and finally rationalized that it would never be driven in the rain...Its not a job for someone who is going on 75 years and bending to do that just ain't gonna happen anymore...
Thankyou....Bob
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 2:35pm
I threaded a length of 26 gauge wire through the clip and tied it off before attempting to connect the linkage to the motor. That way, when (not IF) the clip went sproing  I could reel it back in. Once the clip was solidly attached, I removed the wire.

I also used the same type of wire to install the linkage. Feed it through the holes in the cowl and out the wiper motor hole in the firewall. Tie off the pivots, the pull the wire back out the cowl dragging the pivots with it. It's much easier that pushing the linkage into the cowl and twisting it around hoping the pivots will line up with their holes. AWG26 solid is small enough to not get in the way, but strong enough to hold the weight of the pivots

All this was done after the engine had been installed
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2019 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

It not just the putting in the wiper motor, its that stinking little clip..!!
There is a reason it's nickname is Jesus clip.
It's because your always saying"Jesus! Where did that thing go?" every time it takes off on you. LOL

That's why, when I had the chance, to purchase not one N.O.S. clip.. 
But 3 of them...!! LOL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 101>
  Share Topic