TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 101>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 1:12pm
Thanks Ken..
But I am pretty sure that Eaton Detroit springs are out of my league. I looked... I saw... and I ran away...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 1:27pm
give these guys a shot - a few people here have bought them and they are made in america.

http://www.mcveighstruckspring.com
AMO Newsletter Editor
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Thanks Ken..
But I am pretty sure that Eaton Detroit springs are out of my league. I looked... I saw... and I ran away...
Can't say that I blame you. When your working with a budget you have to do the best you can to stretch it. Checking locally about rebuilding a used set may be your best bet.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
8pack View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8pack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Still out on springs too. Not sure if I just want to have these springs rebuilt or purchase new ones.
I have used Eaton Detroit Spring a number of times. Not cheap but the quality is top notch and they will do custom lift or drop over factory ride height if you request it. Just put a new set on the Hornet.

Sorry for high jacking your thread but where did you get the lower link bars? They kinda look like Caltracs but different and how do they compare with is factory style upper links?
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/06/2016 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by 8pack 8pack wrote:

Sorry for high jacking your thread but where did you get the lower link bars? They kinda look like Caltracs but different and how do they compare with is factory style upper links?
Those are Competition Engineering (Moroso) Slide-A-Link. You can adjust the pre-load at any time with just two wrenches. Nice if you drive to and from the track. I have not worked with upper links so I can't really comment on any kind of comparison.

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 7:48am

Edited by BrotherBamc - Jan/07/2016 at 2:52pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 11:07am

Just curious which kit did you use...???
Since they don't have an official "AMC" version we use CEE-2094. You have to trim about 4 inches from the end of the second leaf in the spring stack at the spring eye (front) end. We also trimmed the sides of the eye bushing so we could keep the rubber bushing. If your a hard core drag racer they supply an aluminum bushing to use in the spring eye but that is just way too harsh a ride for street use. Other than that they work out great.

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 1:17pm
Found a great fit for the rear sway bar end links in the bushing department.
If anyone needs replacement bushings for their Spirit rear sway bar I found some that fit really well.
Went to poly bushings dot com and ordered a couple pairs of different sizes. The ones that I ended up using are part number 2094.
My original plan of using Mopar B body bushings were a little more then I was wanting to pay. These were like 2-3 bucks apiece.

I had to trim the ends with a sharp knife, but other then that they are basically a perfect fit. You end up cutting off about 1/4"

Finished product...

Edited by BrotherBamc - Jan/08/2016 at 2:31pm
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 2:35pm
Be real generous with that Prothane grease. You don't need creaking/groaning bushings a week after you install them. LOL 

Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2016 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Be real generous with that Prothane grease. You don't need creaking/groaning bushings a week after you install them. LOL 

Trust me... I did! It was the only way to press the bushings in and on. They are a pretty tight fit.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 101>
  Share Topic