TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 101>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 8:35am
I think what AMC was trying to do inside the doors was not so much sound deadner, but trying to keep the doors from having a "tinnie" sound when they were closed...That rock hard undercoating they used I have never been able to find, just rubberized stuff that never really hardens...however I have not looked for anything in quite a few years now...Bob
Thankyou....Bob
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 10:12am
Wooster Kevin did a bunch of looking into what is close to the factory stuff and this is really close because it dries fairly hard. https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-050220-Deadening-Vibration/dp/B001URKV0G
He used a bunch of it on his car and it turned out well. IMO using that insulation is asking to trap moisture behind it and cause problems.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 12:52pm
I have done two pretty good paint jobs on mid-size (Rambler Classics) cars with less room that what you show in your pictures.  Just put up with the frustration of moving things around and putting freshly painted doors and other sheet metal in storage out of the way.   Good luck,  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 1:42pm
Mopar_guy…
I've been up most of the morning thinking about this also. That was a lot of work to do the doors like this. So, I am going to try to do a little experiment with this stuff. Just to see if it does absorb water and if it does, just how much.
I did bite the bullet this morning and ordered some Dynamat for the floors and a little bit more for extra places if needed. (doors )
I also ordered from APD the firewall insulation that they offer.
And thank you Joe..
It is really frustrating at times. I have learned through out this whole entire project is patience... It's when I get in a hurry and then that's when I screw stuff up.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2019 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Wooster Kevin did a bunch of looking into what is close to the factory stuff and this is really close because it dries fairly hard. https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engineering-050220-Deadening-Vibration/dp/B001URKV0G
He used a bunch of it on his car and it turned out well. IMO using that insulation is asking to trap moisture behind it and cause problems.

I looked at the stuff on Amazon and it looks like it would have potential...I will try out the cans I ordered on the white Gremlin that none of you guys will take off my hands....Whats a few more $ down the rat hole?   Thanks for sharing that information....Bob
Thankyou....Bob
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 9:50am
You can get "Peel-n-Seal" from most building supply places.
It doesn't hold moisture in the material. I've used it in place of Dynamat, which it resembles in construction. Not quite the density of Dynamat, but works well for the price. It weighs 0.3 pounds per square foot.
Most places sell it with the aluminum backing, but it can be found in white and gray as well. Lowe's usually only carries 4" and/or 6" widths, but can order it. Or order from Amazon.

This isn't going to be popular, but check out the local "econo" paint shops. We have a couple in columbia SC that are pretty good but cheap. Think Maaco. I know, they use a cheap single stage, though some of their "premium" jobs do use a base/clear, or a clear sprayed over a single stage urethane (not regular enamel) paint. If it's locally owned you might get the owner/manager to spray YOUR paint for the same cost (hey, they make a little more!) or a small up-charge.

What I find is that the guy who started two days ago has more experience painting than I do -- he's sprayed at least a dozen cars already!

As Ollie said, and you know, prep work is the key! I've had a 2-3 cars painted by local (one in Idaho, twice in Georgia -- I was USAF for 24 years!) shops like this with great results. The key  was I took it in practically ready to paint -- stripped of all chrome, wet sanded and some body work done. All they had to do was a final wet sand, tack-rag, mask, and spray. they recognized that I had went to a lot of trouble and paid extra attention to all the Ramblers I had painted. I'm sure they were cognizant of the fact that the rather unusual car would attract some attention and people would ask where it was painted as well. One even put a second coat of paint on for free! said a few scratches showed after painting and would I mind if they kept it a few more days so they could put a second coat on. I asked what the cost would be and they said nothing -- they just wanted it to look good since I'd went to so much trouble!! Best $249 paint job ever!! (that was the premium back in 1985-86!!)
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/25/2019 at 12:50pm
Thanks Frank...
Nothing like that around here for paint shops. It's all collision and repair, or so they say (repair). I'll be just fine and I will getter done. The last place that we had was a Maaco and they went out of business. The place that took over the building where Maaco was is now a place called HotBodz… That was the place that wanted a 10K deposit and a 6 month waiting list. And that was the only place in my town that would even think of touching my car. And the paint that I have is a single stage, but it wasn't cheap. At least by my standards it wasn't cheap. I think a gallon was about 220 bucks, plus the proper reducer and hardener just added to the cost. I've got almost 500 bucks into one single gallon of paint. (acrylic urethane, and I hope that it will be enough) And that's not the cost of all the 2K that I've been spraying the past couple of days and all the 2K that I have sprayed in the past.
I went through everything and flared up my tennis elbow again.
And it's amazing how you think you did a good job, when in all actuality it really wasn't and kind of sucked..!!!

So, hopefully I can put the 2K away and concentrate on getting it done...!!
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2019 at 10:07am
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

So, hopefully I can put the 2K away and concentrate on getting it done...!!

Glad to hear you are going with an acrylic top coat. The beauty about that is mistakes are easy to fix {in the big scheme picture}.
Just let the paint dry a couple of days, sand the flubs with 1500 wet sand paper and repaint the area with a light coat. 
Don't worry about it. I just painted my doors and had a flub right off the bat. Had brain lapse and forgot to turn down my air pressure from 60 to 40. 
Remember that sanding and buffing is a cure all. Heck we are supposed to be having fun.......hehehehehe

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 6:57am
Yeah, I think a single stage urethane is a lot easier to work with also. If you mess up or damage a base/clear job the entire panel (or between body creases or things like chrome strip dividers) has to be cleared when done. Single stage paint can be feathered in much easier. I've seen a few who can do it on a pretty recent clear coat, but it's tough!

Just noticed you are in Idaho. I was stationed at Mtn. Home AFB when I had my little 63 American painted at Earl Scheib in Boise (1985 or so). Must have been one of the last ones around! I stripped the car of everything but taillights, then took them out (just four screws!) when I got it there. They are the ones who put the second coat of paint on for free. Being fully assembled (and no interior paint, just the jambs -- I rattle canned the dash and other interior metal pieces) made it easy to transport. You will get a bit better paint coverage though.
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 8:04am
Thanks guys...
Haven't been up to much the past couple of days. Letting the primer "shrink".
Need to round up the small stuff and practice on that stuff first. Stuff like battery tray, hood hinges, hood latch. What ever small stuff first. Finished up the underside of the hood yesterday and I went and got myself another 2 quarts of paint.
Other then that, I've just been watching the snow come down and pile up.
Yes Frank. Lewiston Idaho. Lowest elevation point in Idaho. (735 feet above sea level) Farthest inland sea port West of the Mississippi River. Lewis and Clark camped here in 1805. Lots of history here. And, a big hole in the ground. Literally. And not in a bad way. Just when you want to leave, you have to go up a really big hill in any direction. North, South or West. Except for East. If you travel East out of Lewiston, you follow the Clearwater river (125 miles) until you get to LoLo Pass on the Idaho-Montana border. And we have a pretty good sized pulp and paper mill here. People want to move here, people like it here, except they can't handle the stench that it puts out. That's why I put "Armpit" Idaho. Kind of stinks like an armpit from time to time or most of the time...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 101>
  Share Topic