TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 101>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/11/2019 at 1:50pm
Looking foward to see her on the ground with wheels so we can see how she sits!
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 1:47am
BMO..
With all new springs front, back and all new bushings. She's probably going to sit like a frog looks, until everything settles down. Probably going to hop like one too..!!
Trim is on...
In this pic, you can see how far my door sticks out in the back. It's getting better as the weather strip softens up. I guess time will tell.

Came out better then I expected. Always nervous about drilling holes in the paint.
And yes Bob...
There are different lengths of wheel well trim. I was able to make what I had work. You'd think after 15 years of collecting parts and pieces that I'd be able to find the proper trim to use..?? Out of all the pieces that I have purchased, I ended up using what was on the car and I put that on it back in the late 80's.
The fronts go all the way down and cover the front of the rocker. The rears do not. They only go to the top of the rocker. I was able to get enough of the rocker cover to slide back enough to make the room.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/12/2019 at 9:41pm
Bought a pair of window cranks from one of the vendors. Says on the web site that they are for 68-73 AMC cars. Went to put them on today and found this.

Found a couple originals and used them instead. Then after I put the drivers side on I went to roll the window up and down. Then the handle fell off in my hand.
I powered through and was able to put the handle back on. But, it's loose and will probably fall off in my hand again.

Gonna go dig for a nice pair of originals and use those instead.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
LakesideRamblin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakesideRamblin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/13/2019 at 12:03am
Those black door panels look very nice against the blue paint!  Nice job.
LakesideRamblin
69 Rambler 360
73 Javelin 360
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." T. Roosevelt
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2019 at 9:50pm
Thank you Matt...
Well, I ran out of door panel clips and won't be able to get any till tomorrow.
So, that means that I am done for the night. I haven't felt good the past couple of days, so things have been really slow.
The best way to install the carpet is to remove the shifter. With the this style of shifter, I had to drop the crossmember to get it to drop down out of the way.
I had what they call "mat backing" attached to the back of the carpet. It's kind of a PITA to work with and is supposed to add a amount of noise reduction.
Being that's it's cold out, it doesn't want to mold itself too well. I tried using a heat gun to try to get some heat into it, but I was afraid that I would get too hot and burn the carpet.
After the first initial test fit, it fit like crap. I took Ian's word and used jute padding under where it fit like crap. Mostly around the transmission tunnel and the formed part of the carpet where it drops down into the upper floor pan. It helped, but there are still a few spots that will need a little attention. I still have to trim around the fire wall, but it's in. Needs a good vacuum now.

The scuff plates are stainless steel reproductions. They actually fit quite well and have a nice brushed finish to them.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/16/2019 at 6:21am
The carpet will settle in with time and warmer weather, so I wouldn't worry too much over a 100% fit. would be a shame to fit it in now and have it wrinkle up or pull away from the edges with warmer weather and time! It looks like a really good fit in the photos.
Frank Swygert
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2019 at 9:58pm
I am curious about what your doing for the headliner
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/17/2019 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by BMOgremlin BMOgremlin wrote:

I am curious about what your doing for the headliner

My original one was in good enough shape to re-use. I just had it recovered in headliner material. My upholstery guy took the old sun visors apart and made new ones from the pattern.

Back seat came out pretty nice...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2019 at 1:12am
This is going to be fun...
Feels like a hot knife through soft butter...

77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2019 at 6:25am
Back seat looks great... but I wouldn't want to struggle into it, especially with the front seats installed! Would still be good for 14 year olds and under (if they aren't too tall like some boys are!). they might even think it's fun to crawl under and have that "crash bar" in front of them! Put some padding around it if you plan on having back seat passengers (I doubt it!). Did you consider just losing the back seat?

None of the linkage shifters (side shift trans) are as precise feeling as the shifters made into the top of the tranny like modern trans/shifters are... at least not in my experience. Hurst models are usually better than factory though. How new is yours? You can get rebuild kits with new bushings and springs for most Hurst shifters...
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7071727374 101>
  Share Topic