TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

1973 Gremlin Project.... "The Demise of Sanity"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 101>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2019 at 9:53pm
If ya want i can go in Saturday to work and see if pull and save has any of the rear gm ones as was suggested in a earlier post. Let me know. 
BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 8:23am
I appreciate the offer, but right now save yourself the 2 bucks to get in the gate. I get up that way once a month or so. Hopefully I will see those strikers later on today.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2019 at 11:32am
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

Originally posted by Have2SC's Have2SC's wrote:

The woven style door strikers are being reproduced as i purchased a set some time ago.  They are pricey at about 45.00 bucks per but they fit nicely. Lee  

I was under the impression that the earlier style have a different sized thread and bolt..?? 
I thought that they are 1/2"x16 thread pitch..??
The 73 and up are all 7/16"x14 thread pitch. 
Blaser just emailed me and the have a few N.O.S. (all steel, no bushing style in stock) at 79 bucks a piece plus shipping.. 
I had to go back and look and they list the woven style to 72.  So i believe you may be correct in this situation. Sorry about the incorrect info.    Lee
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2019 at 10:57pm
No strikers till Monday..
So in the mean time...
All the clear coat that I put on my grille after I polished up, decided it didn't want to stick to the aluminum and looked like crap. So I had to sand it all back off. I didn't polish it back up. I just left the "brushed" look on the ribs. I also repainted the grille brackets and hood latch to black.
N.O.S. headlight bezels and side marker lights were installed.
Grille is in.

Finished up the headliner and upper trim.

Also switched out the ignition key to match the door keys.
Gonna go dig out my carpet kit tomorrow and have a look at that. See if I can't get the back part of the kit in and the rear seat.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 9:30am
So did you clear coat the sanded aluminum grille? The polishing might be what kept it from sticking...
Frank Swygert
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 10:05am
You will be making a trip around the block any day now. When the weather's better road trip to spokane. Lol
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 10:39am
Nope..
Didn't do anything to it Frank. Just sanded off all the crappy clear and slapped it on. Clear stuck to the paint, but not to the bare aluminum.
BMO..
My job has kind a been on the back burner for the past month. No work means no funds to put into the car. Let alone pay the bills. Bills have to come first.
The drive shaft needs to go the drive shaft shop and have u-joints installed and have a spin balance. The windshield needs to be put in and before I do that it has to go to the tint shop and have a special tint that I want to put on. Doesn't really need the tint, but it will help with the heat from the sun. It's a clear tint and keeps about 90% of the suns heat from baking everything in the car. Especially the dash. A 48 year old plastic dash that has already been through the wringer of heat cycles, I am going to try everything that I can to keep it the way you see it now. Still needing tires and it's going to need an exhaust.
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
BMOgremlin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMOgremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 10:57am
I hear ya. I have a piece of cardboard with a list on the wall all the little things seem to take forever. But its like everyone on this forum says just keep plugin away at it a little at a time and it will get done. 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2019 at 4:07pm
I haven't had time to do a lot either, and my wife seems to think the "honey do" list comes before MY project list! Well, been putting her off long enough, broke down and painted dining room and put in some framed wainscot. Still have a list, but she's happy right now!! Will get back to some of mine next week since business has slowed a little...
Frank Swygert
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2019 at 10:04am
Wasn't real impressed with the fit of the wheel well covers, but they worked.
Have a few wrinkles but it looks ok to me. Getting in and out of the back of the car was the worse. The roll bar is a big pain in the rump. Had to wait a couple of days for the carpet to un-thaw. Hasn't been real cold, but it's been cold enough to make it very stiff.

The striker "fiasco" was just that. The machinist was too busy to get to them. Guess they didn't need or want my chump change, so I fixed them myself. The washer is threaded and unscrews from the bolt. I carefully ground down the fatter part of the bolt, then ran a die down it. All I needed was a couple of extra threads to shorten the striker. Should of done that last week.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AosAPjtbCPrhjiUKgfd1mj7aASrL
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
My Garage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 101>
  Share Topic